Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink auto close does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just entered a mobile service request with the following: Auto open/close functionality for home link Garage door mobile service install 10/26 is not working. Maybe the reason is Homelink is a blind toggle interface - communication is one direction only, and there aren't separate open and close signals, only a change state. So if the last auto signal was a open and then used house button to close door then if I used car manual button to open it the logic thinks that is closed and therefore will not auto close. If I don’t mix and match house button and car button the auto feature has always worked.

There is no toggle and it doesn't know/care what state it's in. It simply moves the door the other way each time it's triggered. There is no logic in the car or anywhere else remembering the state of the door so it doesn't matter what other remotes you use.

The car automatically triggers homelink when:
- A new drive cycle is started within the home radius, and then exits that radius.
- The car enters that radius from afar.

If the door doesn't move when you press the button on the screen you might have somehow lost the pairing in which case it will walk you thru the reprogramming steps of pressing the yellow button on your opener.
If you don't get the popup and ding when driving off it's not detecting a new drive cycle (or it's not set to auto close). This can happen if you don't park in a normal place for a normal period of time (e.g. return home and leave the car in the driveway briefly before leaving again).
If it dings but the door doesn't close, you might be too far away - try reducing the setting to 20ft or so.

I was confused suggesting the problem was related to the house vs car opening mechanism. After reproducing the auto-close problem consistently it was related to point 9 in HomeLink Analysis and Troubleshooting – TeslaTap.

“9. Works opening the door but not reliable auto-closing the door

Is there any chance you stopped the vehicle before the close signal was sent? As a safety measure, if you stop your car while backing out, but before the close-door signal is sent, the auto-close is terminated and you’ll have to manually tap the HomeLink button to close the door.”

To reproduce it for me in my MDY ‘21.
1) drive into garage and stop
2) put it in reverse (did not take my foot off brake)
3) put it into park
4) Went into house
5) Reentered car and backed out
6) left without homelink engaging auto-close.
7) Needed to tap home link button to close the door.

Toggle/Triggered. I understand toggle signals, but don’t understand triggered signals.

I just got mine installed, and experiencing the same issue. Auto close on leave is not working. I get no dialog or alert that it is sending a signal as I back out and drive away. After driving around the block and approaching my house, auto open on arrival is working, the dialog pops up and counts down the feet as I approach, and then issues the signal to open. I'll try out leaving it sit in the garage for a bit.

Man, this Homelink thing is the pits regarding the auto-close. Since it doesn't work reliably, for the "close" feature, it actually makes things worse when departing.

Now my wife thinks it's sending a signal to the home when she's out of range, but by then she can't see the garage door. So I need to put a camera in the garage so she can check it to make sure the garage door is closed. Not cool Homelink.

Coming home is cool though, worth the cost IMO.

Man, this Homelink thing is the pits regarding the auto-close. Since it doesn't work reliably, for the "close" feature, it actually makes things worse when departing.

Now my wife thinks it's sending a signal to the home when she's out of range, but by then she can't see the garage door. So I need to put a camera in the garage so she can check it to make sure the garage door is closed. Not cool Homelink.

Coming home is cool though, worth the cost IMO.
Since garage door openers are still in the dark ages and basically just a toggle of open/close, I do not use the open/close feature on my HomeLink. I still need to press the screen in order to ensure that nothing is in the way of the door and it is performing the open/close as desired. So for me, it is a garage door opener that I can not misplace and I still activate manually.

I do however, use the automated feature for gate open since I live in a fortified community. It works well for me in that mode.

Since garage door openers are still in the dark ages and basically just a toggle of open/close, I do not use the open/close feature on my HomeLink. I still need to press the screen in order to ensure that nothing is in the way of the door and it is performing the open/close as desired. So for me, it is a garage door opener that I can not misplace and I still activate manually.

I do however, use the automated feature for gate open since I live in a fortified community. It works well for me in that mode.

I just picked up this...

Apparently it has a sensor you put on the garage door to tell you if it's in the open or closed position. And there's a widget so you can quickly swipe on your iPhone and check your garage door status without loading some webcam. Plus it'll use your phone GPS to tell the door to open.

I'll just use this to auto-open my garage door instead of some stupid expensive Homelink I just had installed. I guess Homelink may be a waste of $350. Meh. Edit... oh wait Homelink auto-folds the mirrors in! That's still good value.

I spent my time researching this cool stuff instead of scraping the gunk left behind on my corroded 12v battery. Priorities!

One note that may help others when open doesn’t work (not closing). We had it it set to too far a distance so it would close but wouldn’t open because when you return the door is shut and degrades (just enough) the signal. Cut the distance to trigger it down by ten feet, works every time.

It also needs a cycle (leave/return) after each reboot. New firmware, etc.

The auto close never worked right for me, in my S, 3 or X.

I did setup IFTT to auto close it when I leave the house. I get the door closed notification by the time I get to the first stop sign from my house - under 1/2 mile.

I don't rely on this, it's more of a backup in case I forget to close it automation.

I wish it could trigger more than 1 door, but what can ya do?