Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink auto close reliable for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I received the 2017.40.1 update, I enabled the auto close for homelink for the first time.

Set the distance and all that.

It’s pretty cool...when it works. For me, it probably works about 6 out of 10 times. When the little pop-up comes up with the “countdown” (closing in 20 ft, 15 ft, etc) then it always works fine.

But 30-40% of the time, I get in the car, start car, put the car in reverse and...it just offers the “manual” button for Homelink.

Auto Open when returning home works 100% of the time. Never failed. But the auto close when leaving garage has been hit or miss for me.

Anyone else seeing the feature behave inconsistent? Or just my solo bad luck?

• Informative
Reactions: StefanSarzio
Only comment I have is that my mirrors are folded (manually) but I don’t unfold them before backing out. The drop down appears for the ‘Garage’ but it never beeps, counts down, or closes. I’m going to experiment a bit more, by resetting the location to outside the garage (as the instructions say to do) in case ‘moving toward the location’ triggers it.

But that’s about all I have to try. Never had it work, and the ‘arrival’ has always worked.

Homelink worked very well for me from when I purchased the car (DEC 2016) until FW 2017.34, at which point its operation became intermittent. This behavior has continued with 2017.40.1. At this point the system is fairly reliable (about 90%) at opening the garage when I approach from having been away. However, it's function to close the door is effectively non-existant, and when it does work it is completely random. This does not seem dependent on distance, although it is somewhat more reliable (perhaps 50%) when the car is manually driven out of the garage. It appears that when Summon is used, it does not function at all. I have discussed this with Tesla Service, and have been told that they are aware of the issues.

Of course, this is one of the biggest frustrations for all of us, is that it appears that very little software testing/verification goes on prior to releases of Firmware "into the wild". Frequently updates will address one or two bugs in one area (or have no apparent change) but will disrupt the function of other areas. From the outside this appears to include a problem with version control, since it seems that the various FW teams don't start with the same stable platform, but may be purely a testing/verification issue. As has been posted elsewhere, a set of detailed notes for each "update" (i.e., a lot more than "This update contains improvements and bug fixes..." rather more like a list of what was changed and the expected results) as well as a means to roll back to a prior more stable version would go a long way to improve the user experience. A well written article in this forum from Tesla on the process of software testing and verification would also go a long way to prevent just the kind of speculation in which I just indulged... Are you guys listening?

I didn't think so... ;-(

Reactions: JenniferQ
Always have had trouble with auto close when exiting garage. With new firmware update last week it now usually doesn't work at all! Even when manually touching the screen to open or close. Very disappointed with a $100,00 dollar car when I have to get out of the car to open the garage. Service says they don't know when a fix might be available. Maybe when they get auto windshield wipers on AP2 cars.

Yep, ‘close on leaving’ has never worked for me. Glad to see it’s a known issue.

Edit: And distance is for ‘auto open’....

Agreed with all there seems to be a bug. I noticed if I open my garage door manually using the button then auto-close works, if I open from inside the car then it doesnt.

Also as mentioned, distance if for open only close is default 20ft. I did a quick video for those that have not received the new feature.

I don't have auto open or close turned on. With the most recent software update (2017.40.1) homelink doesn't work at all unless I reboot. After a reboot it works, but at some point in the future it does not work and requires another reboot. I don't know if it stops working when the car goes into sleep mode or if there is some other trigger. It is very annoying though.

It worked fine on 2017.34.

Reactions: Bluejuice
Only comment I have is that my mirrors are folded (manually) but I don’t unfold them before backing out. The drop down appears for the ‘Garage’ but it never beeps, counts down, or closes. I’m going to experiment a bit more, by resetting the location to outside the garage (as the instructions say to do) in case ‘moving toward the location’ triggers it.

But that’s about all I have to try. Never had it work, and the ‘arrival’ has always worked.
Tried this, no change. Turned it off, and will wait for the next firmware, and will do close manually. Opening works great.

A couple of threads have Tesla still saying that the general fix (on the 'breaks after one or a couple of uses') isn't out yet, but I still think that fix was in 17.41 and up, and more fixes are still coming. But it does seem to vary a lot depending on car...

First several months I owned my car, Homelink was pretty sporadic, but for the past several months, I'm batting 95%. As started earlier, the only time it seems to not work on exiting is when I start the car and shift almost immediately into reverse. Then it probably won't work. Otherwise it works great, and it always Opens when returning home, 100% of the time.

A couple of threads have Tesla still saying that the general fix (on the 'breaks after one or a couple of uses') isn't out yet, but I still think that fix was in 17.41 and up, and more fixes are still coming. But it does seem to vary a lot depending on car...

Seems nothing less reliable than what someone else is told by a Tesla SC. I have seen every permutation of options for which release and when this issue will be remedied from already fixed, to coming in weeks and everything in between.

I’ve only had my car for a couple of weeks, but I’ve never had auto-close work for me. Auto-open works every time though (except once). Maybe this latest firmware update will change that, but my car is in the shop for tinting and paint protection this week so I haven’t tried any of the recent updates yet.

When I received the 2017.40.1 update, I enabled the auto close for homelink for the first time.

Set the distance and all that.

It’s pretty cool...when it works. For me, it probably works about 6 out of 10 times. When the little pop-up comes up with the “countdown” (closing in 20 ft, 15 ft, etc) then it always works fine.

But 30-40% of the time, I get in the car, start car, put the car in reverse and...it just offers the “manual” button for Homelink.

Auto Open when returning home works 100% of the time. Never failed. But the auto close when leaving garage has been hit or miss for me.

Anyone else seeing the feature behave inconsistent? Or just my solo bad luck?
I honestly believe that it depends on the type of garage door system (manufacturer) that you're using. I noticed that when I had a cheap chamberlain GDO, it sent a signal coming and going with no problem. When I changed out to a Genie belt drive, I experience the same issues that you're going through. When I come home, it opens flawlessly, but when I'm exiting the garage, it only works about 25% of the time. Very annoying at times indeed.