TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Homelink auto close stopped working

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Julesp313, Aug 21, 2016.

  1. Julesp313

    Julesp313 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Messages:
    91
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    I set up the Homelink about two months ago, no issues. Have both auto open and auto close turned on. Two days ago, auto close stopped working - auto open still works, and I can close "manually" no problem. I have changed nothing else - reverse out of the garage, the screen shows "auto close" but the distance countdown is no longer changing - so it never gets beyond 20 feet on the screen. It's like a sensor isn't recognizing that I'm actually backing out of the garage.

    Any suggestions on this one would be much appreciated!
     
  2. DCGOO

    DCGOO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2015
    Messages:
    234
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would reset the GPS location, making sure you have a good position lock, either on the map on the car, or by checking the app on your phone. The phone might be better, since it simultaneously shows the location of the car and the phone. Make sure they are on top of each other, then reset the Homelink position.

    I am just guessing though. Homelink has always been flawless for me. But I have a 120 foot driveway with a straight in approach, so an ideal set up.
     
  3. dpodoll

    dpodoll Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    282
    Ours did the same thing for a couple of days, and returned to normal after I reset the location.
     
  4. Julesp313

    Julesp313 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Messages:
    91
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    I'll give that a try. Weird how it opens just fine but not closes it... But hey, technology baffles me most of the time! :)
     
  5. Buddy

    Buddy Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2016
    Messages:
    382
    Location:
    Riverside County
    If I may slightly veer off topic...


    How do you like that feature? Do you ever pull out of your garage but want the garage to stay open? ( say waiting on wife, or pulling out of the garage to make room for something)

    Does the convenience out weigh the inconvenience of having to reopen the garage door whenever you didn't want it to close?
     
  6. dpodoll

    dpodoll Member

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2012
    Messages:
    282
    Works great. When you put it in gear you get a drop down to skip auto close
     
    • Informative x 1
  7. Buddy

    Buddy Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2016
    Messages:
    382
    Location:
    Riverside County
    Oh that's perfect then.
     
  8. DCGOO

    DCGOO Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2015
    Messages:
    234
    Location:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Not for me. 95% of the time, I just want to pull in (or out) to the garage. The other 5% I *try* to remember to cancel the auto-open when approaching. Most of the time I remember soon enough. Just a great feature. Many cars have HomeLink, but GPS activated is just cool!
     
    • Like x 1
  9. Julesp313

    Julesp313 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2016
    Messages:
    91
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    Yep, same here - 95% of the time, I want it to close, but if not, super easy to just hit "skip" and it stays open. That's why the sudden non-functioning was a bit annoying (but in the realm of problems in the world, it is miniscule...).
     
    • Like x 1
  10. markn455

    markn455 Member

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2016
    Messages:
    208
    Location:
    Ball Ground, GA
    Same issue here. I finally turned off the auto close. My "guess" is that while sitting in the garage it loses the GPS lock on your location. When backing out of the garage it does not know for sure where you are. When pulling in the GPS knows exactly where you are which is why the opening feature works consistently. Just a guess on my part.
     
    • Like x 1
  11. BEEZR

    BEEZR Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2016
    Messages:
    215
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    Mine works nearly 100% of the time for open but auto close doesn't register occasionally and I have to close manually.
     
  12. MikingCO

    MikingCO Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2016
    Messages:
    109
    Location:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Same
     

Share This Page