Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink auto close stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I set up the Homelink about two months ago, no issues. Have both auto open and auto close turned on. Two days ago, auto close stopped working - auto open still works, and I can close "manually" no problem. I have changed nothing else - reverse out of the garage, the screen shows "auto close" but the distance countdown is no longer changing - so it never gets beyond 20 feet on the screen. It's like a sensor isn't recognizing that I'm actually backing out of the garage.

Any suggestions on this one would be much appreciated!

I set up the Homelink about two months ago, no issues. Have both auto open and auto close turned on. Two days ago, auto close stopped working - auto open still works, and I can close "manually" no problem. I have changed nothing else - reverse out of the garage, the screen shows "auto close" but the distance countdown is no longer changing - so it never gets beyond 20 feet on the screen. It's like a sensor isn't recognizing that I'm actually backing out of the garage.

I would reset the GPS location, making sure you have a good position lock, either on the map on the car, or by checking the app on your phone. The phone might be better, since it simultaneously shows the location of the car and the phone. Make sure they are on top of each other, then reset the Homelink position.

I am just guessing though. Homelink has always been flawless for me. But I have a 120 foot driveway with a straight in approach, so an ideal set up.

Ours did the same thing for a couple of days, and returned to normal after I reset the location.

If I may slightly veer off topic...

How do you like that feature? Do you ever pull out of your garage but want the garage to stay open? ( say waiting on wife, or pulling out of the garage to make room for something)

Does the convenience out weigh the inconvenience of having to reopen the garage door whenever you didn't want it to close?

How do you like that feature? Do you ever pull out of your garage but want the garage to stay open? ( say waiting on wife, or pulling out of the garage to make room for something)

Does the convenience out weigh the inconvenience of having to reopen the garage door whenever you didn't want it to close?

Works great. When you put it in gear you get a drop down to skip auto close

• Informative
Reactions: Buddy

Not for me. 95% of the time, I just want to pull in (or out) to the garage. The other 5% I *try* to remember to cancel the auto-open when approaching. Most of the time I remember soon enough. Just a great feature. Many cars have HomeLink, but GPS activated is just cool!

Reactions: dgpcolorado

Same issue here. I finally turned off the auto close. My "guess" is that while sitting in the garage it loses the GPS lock on your location. When backing out of the garage it does not know for sure where you are. When pulling in the GPS knows exactly where you are which is why the opening feature works consistently. Just a guess on my part.

Reactions: BG121