Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Automation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I tried searching and couldn’t find any posts. I recently got Homelink installed. The Tesla tech originally had me worried because he said since I’m in a an apartment building, that I would need the strata’s permission to get it programmed but after calling the company who installed our garage door for our parkade, the guy told me I just need to repeatedly press the button on my garage door opener (not hold it down as per Tesla’s instructions). Anyway, that worked so if anyone is having trouble, trying repeatedly pressing it (hold for 2 seconds — let go and repeat). It worked after pressing it 5 times.

However, I can’t seem to get the garage door to automatically open when I approach my parkade in my back alley. It works when I manually push the Homelink button but it would be great to have the automation work. Would my home address have anything to do with this? The GPS thinks it’s the front of my building but the parkade gate is at the back of the building in the alley. Anyone have similar issues or know of any solutions?

This is gonna be a tough one. And I enjoy challenging automation projects. For starters try erasing the the home location in your Nav / Homelink and set “Home” again when you are at rear of building. If that does not work I am already out of ideas. For now at least.
Thanks for the advice. I tried that but no luck. It would be great to be able to have GPS coordinates instead of an address but it doesn’t appear that Tesla supports that. When I send coordinates from Google Maps to my Tesla it converts it into the nearest address. Too bad!

Sorry, mis-read what you needed.

This is from my MS manual, check your manual:

Resetting the Location of the HomeLink Device
If you experience situations in which you sometimes drive up to your HomeLink device and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on the touchscreen's status bar does not display the dropdown when you approach the device, you may need to reset the device's location. To do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink settings page by touching the HomeLink icon at the top of the touchscreen. Touch the name of the device you want to reset, then Reset Location.

Reactions: lifjoy and eevees
Sorry, mis-read what you needed.

This is from my MS manual, check your manual:

Resetting the Location of the HomeLink Device
If you experience situations in which you sometimes drive up to your HomeLink device and it doesn't open, or the HomeLink icon on the touchscreen's status bar does not display the dropdown when you approach the device, you may need to reset the device's location. To do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink settings page by touching the HomeLink icon at the top of the touchscreen. Touch the name of the device you want to reset, then Reset Location.
That worked! Thanks so much 🙏

Reactions: ATPMSD
I have to back in to my garage on days that I need to charge it because the charger is on the back wall. Will that work if I want to use the auto open/close feature of Homelink?
It really depends on antenna locations; the only way to know for sure is to try it. If you are debating the purchase of the Homelink option, note you can buy a visor mounted "universal" remote for $30-$40, or use a hardware based version in your garage which uses your iPhone or Android to automatically open the garage door.

Reactions: PinkWarrior