Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Closing Garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ewoodrick

Apr 13, 2018
Buford, GA
My Homelink seems to be working well, but accidents happen.

Yesterday, my wife and I were coming home in different cars, she was first to the garage as I got close enough, yes the Model 3 sent the close command after she had opened in and she was pulling into the garage.

##it happens.

In an attempt to keep this from happening again, I decided that I would move the safety sensors to a higher location, so that it sees the car body, previously it was shooting below the car body.

If you were to do this, make sure that you realize that small children or animals laying down may not be detected, so do so at your own risk.

My Homelink seems to be working well, but accidents happen.

Yesterday, my wife and I were coming home in different cars, she was first to the garage as I got close enough, yes the Model 3 sent the close command after she had opened in and she was pulling into the garage.

##it happens.

In an attempt to keep this from happening again, I decided that I would move the safety sensors to a higher location, so that it sees the car body, previously it was shooting below the car body.

If you were to do this, make sure that you realize that small children or animals laying down may not be detected, so do so at your own risk.
You could change the homelink setting so it doesn't send the command automatically. You would have to manually do it. Not sure why you would move the sensor.

I want it to send automatically, In was just inadvertent timing that had both cars in the wrong spots at the same time.

I believe that normal garage door safety sensors are only a few inches above the floor. This is to detect kids or animals that are laying or standing under the door.

By raising it up, the sensors now see the car and will not allow the door to close, actually brings door all open.

This is why there should be two sensors at different heights! One for small kids/cats/puppies that may be laying low, and one up higher for cars. I looked at my sensor, and it definitely is below the body height of the Model 3. So I'm super squeamish with the car. If my wife is coming home, she always hits the garage door opener before she can see the garage door, so there is a chance if we were both coming home that she could close it on my car, though unlikely.

Luckily you are in the car and can just hit the home link button to reopen. I don't think you need to move the sensors.

I've also had a similar incident but I was using summon to back car into garage. Apparently there's a nice feature that will close the garage door for you when summon is complete. Unfortunately summon gets disconnected half the time for me. So one particular time I was backing the car up using summon outside the car and the app got disconnected from the car. The car thought summon was complete and started closing the garage door, somehow even overriding the sensors. Since the app was disconnected from the car, i couldn't tap on the icon to work. Luckily was able to apply upward force on the door while it was closing and that was enough for it to disengage and reopen.

Luckily you are in the car and can just hit the home link button to reopen. I don't think you need to move the sensors.

I've also had a similar incident but I was using summon to back car into garage. Apparently there's a nice feature that will close the garage door for you when summon is complete. Unfortunately summon gets disconnected half the time for me. So one particular time I was backing the car up using summon outside the car and the app got disconnected from the car. The car thought summon was complete and started closing the garage door, somehow even overriding the sensors. Since the app was disconnected from the car, i couldn't tap on the icon to work. Luckily was able to apply upward force on the door while it was closing and that was enough for it to disengage and reopen.
The garage door was not having its sensors overridden. It's not possible. The sensors were not detecting the car because only the wheels break the sensor beam. The body is higher than the sensors. So if you're just nosed in, just backend hanging out, or midway in, the sensor is not going to detect your car, and the garage door will shut, until it hits your car and detects something in the way, and then reverses itself.