TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Homelink distance issue

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by miltymoots, Aug 4, 2018.

1. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Configured homelink without any issue on my m3, but now trying to get the auto open/close to work.

To set the garage location it says to park out front of the garage, which I did. However when driving up to the garage the screen says I am 40 feet away when I am pretty much up against the garage door. Something is off with the GPS I guess, which maybe related to my lack of cellphone signal in this area (summon wont work either).

I cant manually set a location, so any solution? Should I just set the garage door to auto open at a bigger distance, like 50 feet?

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Try resetting your position in Homelink. GPS isn't always accurate and it is possible you set it when a little off.

3. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

I tried that, but didn’t work. I set the number of feet up to 50 which opened it as I pulled up.

It doesn’t auto close after I enter the garage?

4. rhaekar

rhaekar Member

Closes when you leave, opens when you arrive.

5. UltralightBeam

Is homelink something that only some garage openers have? Or is it simply how one programs their remote for the car to send the “open and close” signals?

Not sure if this is just something else that needs to be “upgraded “

6. opticbit

opticbit New Member

Newer (not sure what year) Door openers need to be linked to a remote. The code changes with each use.

the old style was a few dip switches to be matched on opener and remote. the code was always the same. So an old remote, some thief could copy the code easily.

I think an old remote can work with new opener, and old opener can work with new remote.
    if you have an old remote, and opener, you should be able to program the new remote (tesla homelink), by having it listen to the old remote. (just guessing, put my order in a few days ago, so i'll have a tesla to play with in a few weeks)
    If you have a new opener,put the opener in programing mode, and the car in programing mode, should only take a few seconds.

7. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

It’s meant to “just work”... you train the tesla to use the radio frequency of your remote basically

8. UltralightBeam

I see, so it’s not like you need to buy a whole new garage opener or anything fancy like that or hook a new styled one to the internet right?

9. opticbit

opticbit New Member

correct. the tesla homelink should work with any door opener.

10. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

I guess there are ones it doesn’t work with, but I seem to remember looking at the Homelink website and it states compatibility. You’ll probably be OK. Community gates seem more the problem than garage openers, based on me reading a few forums on homelink today...

11. animorph

animorph Active Member

You can set the location (at any time) anywhere you like. You could stop in the street in front of your driveway and set that as the location if it's not triggering early enough.

12. UltralightBeam

And if you don’t ‘program’ it via GPS to auto open/close, you can do that manually? Is there a hard button by rear view mirror or something? (No Model 3 yet... so not sure..)

It would be nice to NOT have to have a separate garage door opener cluttering up the interior!

13. Troy916

Troy916 Member

lol, button and Tesla Model 3 don't really go together. There is a green homelink house on the screen that you can click to expand the list and then click on an entry to have it send the signal.