Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink distance issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Configured homelink without any issue on my m3, but now trying to get the auto open/close to work.

To set the garage location it says to park out front of the garage, which I did. However when driving up to the garage the screen says I am 40 feet away when I am pretty much up against the garage door. Something is off with the GPS I guess, which maybe related to my lack of cellphone signal in this area (summon wont work either).

I cant manually set a location, so any solution? Should I just set the garage door to auto open at a bigger distance, like 50 feet?

Is homelink something that only some garage openers have? Or is it simply how one programs their remote for the car to send the “open and close” signals?

Not sure if this is just something else that needs to be “upgraded “

Newer (not sure what year) Door openers need to be linked to a remote. The code changes with each use.

the old style was a few dip switches to be matched on opener and remote. the code was always the same. So an old remote, some thief could copy the code easily.

I think an old remote can work with new opener, and old opener can work with new remote.
if you have an old remote, and opener, you should be able to program the new remote (tesla homelink), by having it listen to the old remote. (just guessing, put my order in a few days ago, so i'll have a tesla to play with in a few weeks)
If you have a new opener,put the opener in programing mode, and the car in programing mode, should only take a few seconds.

I see, so it’s not like you need to buy a whole new garage opener or anything fancy like that or hook a new styled one to the internet right?

I guess there are ones it doesn’t work with, but I seem to remember looking at the Homelink website and it states compatibility. You’ll probably be OK. Community gates seem more the problem than garage openers, based on me reading a few forums on homelink today...

And if you don’t ‘program’ it via GPS to auto open/close, you can do that manually? Is there a hard button by rear view mirror or something? (No Model 3 yet... so not sure..)

It would be nice to NOT have to have a separate garage door opener cluttering up the interior!

And if you don’t ‘program’ it via GPS to auto open/close, you can do that manually? Is there a hard button by rear view mirror or something? (No Model 3 yet... so not sure..)

It would be nice to NOT have to have a separate garage door opener cluttering up the interior!

lol, button and Tesla Model 3 don't really go together. There is a green homelink house on the screen that you can click to expand the list and then click on an entry to have it send the signal.