Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an extra HomeLink module that I thought I would install on the new MYP I picked up yesterday. I watched a couple videos of it being done, but it seems the new radarless-Y builds have a slightly different configuration under the frunk tub from what I could tell. I didn't see the plug for HomeLink or where it needs to be mounted. Has anyone done this taken pictures, or can anyone with HomeLink already installed on a radarless-Y send me pictures of where your HomeLink module is? I would really appreciate it.

in addition - Tesla needs to activate it and deploy software to the car.
That's fine - I already have them coming out to install the software. I just need need to install the hardware before they get here. The frunk layout is different than ones built before May/June, so I can't find anything useful about where the module is supposed to go.

Reactions: Suspect
I watched the tech install it on my radarless Y 3 weeks ago. He removed the frunk "bucket" to expose the area underneath, then bolted the homelink to a metal spot kinda on the backside of the bumper, just slightly to the right (if you are standing in front of the car looking at it) or passenger side. He slid the bolt toward himself through the homelink and then through a hole in the metal of the car and then had to reach up and under the metal to put the nut on the bolt. He commented something like "I'm supposed to take the bumper off to get a wrench in there to hold the nut while tightening it but I don't bother - it takes too long." Once the homelink was secured there there was a cable that was cable-tied off to the right (again, on the right if your standing in front of the car looking at it, on the driver's side). He freed that cable from the clip or cable-tie and plugged it into the homelink and said "that's it!" and put the frunk back together. The physical installation took him 5 minutes. Sorry, no pictures.

I watched the tech install it on my radarless Y 3 weeks ago. He removed the frunk "bucket" to expose the area underneath, then bolted the homelink to a metal spot kinda on the backside of the bumper, just slightly to the right (if you are standing in front of the car looking at it) or passenger side. He slid the bolt toward himself through the homelink and then through a hole in the metal of the car and then had to reach up and under the metal to put the nut on the bolt. He commented something like "I'm supposed to take the bumper off to get a wrench in there to hold the nut while tightening it but I don't bother - it takes too long." Once the homelink was secured there there was a cable that was cable-tied off to the right (again, on the right if your standing in front of the car looking at it, on the driver's side). He freed that cable from the clip or cable-tie and plugged it into the homelink and said "that's it!" and put the frunk back together. The physical installation took him 5 minutes. Sorry, no pictures.
I actually just got it installed. I just took another look before I saw your post and the bracket was exactly where you described - obviously. I also didn't screw in the bolt; I just put a couple zip ties through the bolt area and it seems secure. Something very interesting was as soon as I plugged in the module, I saw the HomeLink button on the computer. There doesn't seem like there is a software piece anymore. Not sure if that's a radarless thing, a latest version thing, or what, but I used an old HomeLink module I had since before the Y was even released, so take that piece of info. Pick up a cheap HomeLink module off Ebay and you don't need any service center/mobile help.

My homelink arrived with "do not open" all over the box and the page where I ordered it said they would refuse to install it if I open the box. I am amazed they are willing to come out and do install of software for a self installed homelink unit.

Glad to read your update that a software install was not required. Wish this info was available before I ordered my homelink :)

Keith

Reactions: kayak1
My homelink arrived with "do not open" all over the box and the page where I ordered it said they would refuse to install it if I open the box. I am amazed they are willing to come out and do install of software for a self installed homelink unit.

Glad to read your update that a software install was not required. Wish this info was available before I ordered my homelink :)

Keith
I read that it sometimes matters on a per technician basis. Sometimes they're cool and don't care, sometimes they really care. I think mine didn't require an install because it's a newer build. Maybe the prior builds didn't have software installed already.

I actually just got it installed. I just took another look before I saw your post and the bracket was exactly where you described - obviously. I also didn't screw in the bolt; I just put a couple zip ties through the bolt area and it seems secure. Something very interesting was as soon as I plugged in the module, I saw the HomeLink button on the computer. There doesn't seem like there is a software piece anymore. Not sure if that's a radarless thing, a latest version thing, or what, but I used an old HomeLink module I had since before the Y was even released, so take that piece of info. Pick up a cheap HomeLink module off Ebay and you don't need any service center/mobile help.
Nice, thanks for sharing your experience. I also picked-up a used module but haven’t got a chance to install. Hopefully it wont require a technician to come out for the software install (which will likely have an associated cost).

I have an extra HomeLink module that I thought I would install on the new MYP I picked up yesterday. I watched a couple videos of it being done, but it seems the new radarless-Y builds have a slightly different configuration under the frunk tub from what I could tell. I didn't see the plug for HomeLink or where it needs to be mounted. Has anyone done this taken pictures, or can anyone with HomeLink already installed on a radarless-Y send me pictures of where your HomeLink module is? I would really appreciate it.
Would you happen to have a picture of the Homelink part number?

Nice, thanks for sharing your experience. I also picked-up a used module but haven’t got a chance to install. Hopefully it wont require a technician to come out for the software install (which will likely have an associated cost).
My install did require a tech, but the cost was under $10 for a configuration change. He also mentioned they could do it remotely, but I can not confirm that.

Would you happen to have a picture of the Homelink part number?
Not sure what the other user bought, but I bought a 2018 Model 3 module off eBay, part number 1114984-00-B, and it works great!

Hey did you need have the plastic mount to affix it with the zip ties?

I used double sided tape and set it here.
Works very well too...
20211106_232132.jpg

Out of curiosity. What’s so special about Tesla’s homelink? Seems like so much money versus a regular visor-mounted button.
I wouldnt call it "special", there are just some nice-to-haves. Like the auto-open/close, integration into the display, etc. Also lets you open and close the garage with the Tesla app (if your car is in range). Its extremely subjective as to whether or not its worth it. For me it was, but I can also understand why to others its not.

If I didnt have it and didnt want to pay for it, I'd just affix the garage door opener out of sight behind the display on the bottom. I've seen people do that and it keeps the car looking clean. Just depends on the person, on this forum I've seen 6 different types:

* Homelink ordered and installed from Tesla
* Homelink bought second hand and installed by owner
* 3rd party garage door opening devices connected to your phone that open when you're nearby automatically
* Garage door opener affixed out of sight to the back of the screen
* Garage door opener clipped to visor (or in compartment)
* Who needs a garage door opener?

To each their own.