Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning to install this the first night I get the car then piggy back it on a service request for any delivery issues. When you put in the service request and stated homelink activation and sent pictures. Did they give any pushback? Did you say you installed it or where you purchased it?

Also thanks for the bolt size info I was gonna use zip ties but if I need to send pix it’ll look better with the bolt lol.
I tried to be proactive and schedule an appointment asap so I could secure an early date. I did not include any install photos and just stated I swapped it from a previous vehicle. They immediately canceled and told me to buy it online because the swap to another vehicle would cost the same as buying a new one. I guess they didn't actually read my service request.

It wasn't until the second attempt that they accepted the appointment because I included installation photos and said "Homelink activation". They did ask me did I purchase the module on a different account through chat. I never answered it because they had already accepted my appointment. On the day of install, the MS tech asked me how/who installed it and it was pretty straight forward to push the update.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Reactions: brandon8387
So that's where we stand now. Bribing a tech to save a measly $100 on a $60-70k vehicle = good. Calling someone out for suggesting bribing makes me uppity and worthy of downvotes.
Bro you coming in here looking/talking down to peoples who just trying to save a couple hundred bucks or not have to rebuy it 🤦🏾‍♂️ You come off uppity and it’s rude. This not your type Of deal? Wouldn’t be caught dead going around the system in this way, just keep it moving. Paying anything less than 350+tax is the goal.

Bro you coming in here looking/talking down to peoples who just trying to save a couple hundred bucks or not have to rebuy it 🤦🏾‍♂️ You come off uppity and it’s rude. This not your type Of deal? Wouldn’t be caught dead going around the system in this way, just keep it moving. Paying anything less than 350+tax is the goal.
It is not a question of looking/talking down. Suggesting we pay service tech under the table is just not acceptable (I doubt it will work anyway, but still). Campaign Tesla to officially to support enabling homelink on a DIY install. Figure out how to hack the Tesla system to DIY enable such things. Or find other ways to save money. Anything except this. If enough people do this suddenly everyone is asking for moolah before doing anything.

It would have been perfectly acceptable if the suggestion was to tip the tech if they were nice enough to enable homelink. That is not a bribe. Paying something up front (cash or beer) to convince the tech to do something is a bribe.

has anyone bought a 2017+ model s Homelink and installed in a model 3/Y? The prices for these are cheaper on eBay.
Get this part number:

1114984-00-B​

20210926_135617.jpg
20210926_142006.jpg

It is not a question of looking/talking down. Suggesting we pay service tech under the table is just not acceptable (I doubt it will work anyway, but still). Campaign Tesla to officially to support enabling homelink on a DIY install. Figure out how to hack the Tesla system to DIY enable such things. Or find other ways to save money. Anything except this. If enough people do this suddenly everyone is asking for moolah before doing anything.

It would have been perfectly acceptable if the suggestion was to tip the tech if they were nice enough to enable homelink. That is not a bribe. Paying something up front (cash or beer) to convince the tech to do something is a bribe.
Your ideas seem much much worse. Convince a company to NOT make money off a product they sell? 😅 Hack it? 🤦🏾‍♂️ Breaking warranty or my car?? And that’s supposed to be better than just getting an official tech to hook you up? I dont wanna derail an otherwise helpful thread so I’lll chill and stay on topic.

Has anyone who has done a DIY install have the module stop working? Mine shows up in the vehicle config, seems like it’s sending the signal, I can delete and re add the garage door, but nothing happens when triggered. It had been working after 2022.4.5, but stopped yesterday

Has anyone who has done a DIY install have the module stop working? Mine shows up in the vehicle config, seems like it’s sending the signal, I can delete and re add the garage door, but nothing happens when triggered. It had been working after 2022.4.5, but stopped yesterday

I did the DIY and mines is still working but I had the Tesla SC actually install the software patch. The icon didn't show up automatically when I plugged the module in.

I was fine going in and paying for some kind of service for them to install the software, like 15 mins of their shop time since that's actually how long it took for them to install the software.

I just asked politely and explained that I used an old module from a previous car, and installed it myself and that all I needed was the software to be installed, the SC guy say we'll take care of it and didn't charge me. I went in to do other things such as door trim adjustments and told him on the spot rather than through the messaging app. I was rolling the dice if they would charge me or not but fine either way.

I don't get why Tesla is being so strict on pushing a software, if we already have the module, just install it for people that DIY.

Sorry but you're just arguing semantics. You're upset he called it a "bribe" instead of a "tip" when in reality it's the same thing - you're paying the tech to do something that isn't strictly by the book. What if instead I called it an endowment for the tech's child's future college fund... now it's charity and probably the best of all options?! Or what if I called it "hush money" so he doesn't nark on us to daddy musk that we've now engaged in underground black market automation... people get way too caught up on semantics.

At the end of the day, it's a bit ridiculous that something I purchased to install (homelink) on an item I also purchased (tesla), can only be activated by the company that sold it to me for... reasons? Whatever the reason - activating it is literally a push of the button. No one here is asking the tech to do anything egregious like activate FSD when it's not paid for and no one is stealing anything. There isn't even an arbitrary "activation fee" as installation is included when you buy the homelink directly. With the service model the way it is, the only one trying to really take advantage here is Tesla by attempting to restrict the resale of the part with their policy that it must be purchased directly and installed by a Tesla tech.