Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did exactly what was outlined in this thread. I under l ordered from Canada, installed it myself, took install pictures.

I set up an appointment with my local SC and they said "where did this come from? Another Tesla or someone else?" I said it's from my previous model 3. They replied "sorry I checked with management and it's not possible to activate. You need to buy a new one". So I then applied for service again and offered I can stop by the SC for a short time just to get it activated and included pictures of the install. They replied again with a passive aggressive response "we already told you it can't be done. Confirmed with management. Buy a new one."

Now I'm kind of annoyed. Do I just need to wait until I actually NEED service and then while they're working just quickly request then to activate it too? I have no idea if I'll need service soon or in another year...

Any suggestions/advice?

I did exactly what was outlined in this thread. I under l ordered from Canada, installed it myself, took install pictures.

I set up an appointment with my local SC and they said "where did this come from? Another Tesla or someone else?" I said it's from my previous model 3. They replied "sorry I checked with management and it's not possible to activate. You need to buy a new one". So I then applied for service again and offered I can stop by the SC for a short time just to get it activated and included pictures of the install. They replied again with a passive aggressive response "we already told you it can't be done. Confirmed with management. Buy a new one."

Now I'm kind of annoyed. Do I just need to wait until I actually NEED service and then while they're working just quickly request then to activate it too? I have no idea if I'll need service soon or in another year...

Any suggestions/advice?
It's very doubtful you will get a Canadian SC to agree to the activation. I tried...and tried...and tried. In the end I ordered a new module and now it's done. It's not fair, but it's the way it is.

It's very doubtful you will get a Canadian SC to agree to the activation. I tried...and tried...and tried. In the end I ordered a new module and now it's done. It's not fair, but it's the way it is.
Oh I'm in California. Bay area. I ordered the part here from Canada so I had to wait a week for it to come.

That's really annoying. I don't want to return it and pay 3 times as much for a "new one" and installation fees. I'm hoping to file a service appointment elsewhere by changing my location when it asks. I'm even ok with driving around for a bit, but this is just so frustrating to get done.

I think a lot of us have relied on mobile server vs the service center. Maybe me a request for something like windshield wiper adjustment/service and ask the mobile tech if they could help you out.
Ooh that's not a bad idea. Yeah I was trying to call out mobile service specifically for this but they kept denying my request. If I call them out for windshield wiper adjustment, would they charge? Would they look at my history and deny my request because they would know I'm calling for this? Haha

Does anyone have a pinout on the 5 wire version? Apparently, the 4 wire version is the same as VW/Audi wonder if one could be substituted?
20200319_154256.jpg

No idea. All I can say is its worth a shot. Not like they are going to ban you from any future service requests.
Haha I hope not. I'm genuinely concerned that they might just be like "sorry we know you've been trying to set up a service request".

Is it practical to just drive up to a Tesla store (not a service center). Do they have access to software/diagnostics or is a service center my only option?

Haha I hope not. I'm genuinely concerned that they might just be like "sorry we know you've been trying to set up a service request".

Is it practical to just drive up to a Tesla store (not a service center). Do they have access to software/diagnostics or is a service center my only option?
Try another Service Center or Mobile Tech from a different service center.

On the address/location - put an address (like work, where the tech can access your car, or Walmart parking lot 🤔 😀). Bait with "wiper arm adjust" request then when the tech is in - Bam! Ask to activate installed HL module.

Just a PSA, don't bribe the tech, just reciprocate with gratitude if they don't charge you for it. 😆

• Funny
Reactions: DocHolliday
Try another Service Center or Mobile Tech from a different service center.

On the address/location - put an address (like work, where the tech can access your car, or Walmart parking lot 🤔 😀). Bait with "wiper arm adjust" request then when the tech is in - Bam! Ask to activate installed HL module.

Just a PSA, don't bribe the tech, just reciprocate with gratitude if they don't charge you for it. 😆
Haha ok. I think I'll take your guys' suggestions. I'll bait with the wiper arm adjustment, but I'll definitely also go to a different SC just because I don't want to deal with this one anymore. Well, wish me luck!

I got a Canadian one to activate it for me. They did charge me for half an hour of labour though.
Still way cheaper than buying the home link package through tesla.

Haha ok. I think I'll take your guys' suggestions. I'll bait with the wiper arm adjustment, but I'll definitely also go to a different SC just because I don't want to deal with this one anymore. Well, wish me luck!

Yes go with the route of doing another service and asking them nicely to add this to the service. If you have to pay 1/2 hour of service, its still cheaper. But hopefully they'll do it either way free or charge. just install the dang software for ya!! LMAO

Yeah I'm perfectly fine with paying for service. I just don't think it's worth $200 of service, but I'll gladly pay someone if they weren't so adamantly against plugging in a laptop and pressing two buttons.

I'm in Stockton and they did it for free, the guy said I never heard of someone installing it themselves. Literally took me 15 mins for me to install and 5 of that was looking for the plug 😂

The guy was super nice and said the tech took them 5 mins to install the software and look at the other items I requested.

I was out the door in 15 mins.

Good luck, hopefully another SC or mobile service will do it for you.

in the connector are there only 3 wires connected or 5? saw a picture of the older model s version and it had 3 wires connected.
This is a picture of the connector taken from Dec 2018 Model 3.
Screenshot_20220302-173905_Gallery.jpg

The HL Module part number is the same as the one in 2019 Model X and 2020 Model Y.
Screenshot_20220302-175708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220302-175807_Gallery.jpg

When I used the same HL Module - and they work - on those Tesla's.

20210926_142006.jpg

I currently have the same HL module (part number 1114984-00-B) on my 2021 Model Y and 2020 Model Y.

I'm in Stockton and they did it for free, the guy said I never heard of someone installing it themselves. Literally took me 15 mins for me to install and 5 of that was looking for the plug 😂

The guy was super nice and said the tech took them 5 mins to install the software and look at the other items I requested.

I was out the door in 15 mins.

Good luck, hopefully another SC or mobile service will do it for you.
Oh really? Did you order mobile service? Did you just walk into the SC and talk to whoever came up?

How did you end up initiating it?

This is a picture of the connector taken from Dec 2018 Model 3.View attachment 776044

The HL Module part number is the same as the one in 2019 Model X and 2020 Model Y. View attachment 776046

View attachment 776048

When I used the same HL Module - and they work - on those Tesla's.

View attachment 776050
I currently have the same HL module (part number 1114984-00-B) on my 2021 Model Y and 2020 Model Y.
found a github for this...