Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's infuriating. I mean, congrats haha, but I've tried twice to schedule appointments and they cancelled them both saying "we confirmed with management it's just impossible to activate a reinstalled homelink module". I don't even know what to do at this point.
Just have a mobile tech come out for something like wiper adjustment do not say anything about home link. When the tech gets there ask him to activate your home link.

I found the cable and I have the modular installed. Now I just need to get a technician to turn it on
Have you tried programming it? My understanding was that you should see the car recognize it right away and you can even set it up, but it won’t continue working until the tech enables it in the OS. If you go to the settings menu, do you see a homelink icon next to your wifi and bluetooth icons?

Have you tried programming it? My understanding was that you should see the car recognize it right away and you can even set it up, but it won’t continue working until the tech enables it in the OS. If you go to the settings menu, do you see a homelink icon next to your wifi and bluetooth icons?
It won’t show up in the OS until it’s activated in the cars config

• Informative
Reactions: t153
Please educate me here. So, i can buy an used Tesla home link module off eBay and schedule an appointment for something else and ask the tech to activate the home link?
Correct the more difficult part is getting a tech to do it. Best was is typically talk to a tech at a actual SC or have a mobile service appt set for something else and ask the tech when he’s there. Be chummy and offer a drink or something. Then casually ask them. Mention you pulled it from your buddies or spouses now sold or wrecked Tesla. 😎

Correct the more difficult part is getting a tech to do it. Best was is typically talk to a tech at a actual SC or have a mobile service appt set for something else and ask the tech when he’s there. Be chummy and offer a drink or something. Then casually ask them. Mention you pulled it from your buddies or spouses now sold or wrecked Tesla. 😎
True story, for me, unfortunately...
😔👩‍🔧😁
20200402_210959.jpg

Just FYI - I took my car to Fremont SC post-delivery for wheel alignment and panel adjustments and mentioned there that I had already installed Homelink and just need it to be activated. The Homelink was activated, and the invoice showed a $39 charge and a ($39) Adjustment.

YMMV.

So what is the part number that i have to search on eBay? For 2022 MYP ?

• Funny
Reactions: Spam2Yam
Is this going price these days?

Nah that’s just a “can I rip someone off” attempt. Someone desperate will pay or insurance or something. 🤷🏾‍♂️ They typically are between $100-200. Be sure you get a mount as well. Some will come with the full kit of module screw and mount for closer to the 200 price. The screw is just a M6-1.00 X 20 you can get from Home Depot
991F609B-CB2F-45A9-9C33-D55277A92062.jpeg
Save a search on eBay or you can buy from here:

Looks like the going price for the "used" units are $200-$300 range, which is very poor value when you can get the brand new from Tesla for $325 including the installation and activation.
Also, you will have to go through the uncertainty of the activation part with the used unit from eBay.

Reactions: RNHurt
Looks like the going price for the "used" units are $200-$300 range, which is very poor value when you can get the brand new from Tesla for $325 including the installation and activation.
Also, you will have to go through the uncertainty of the activation part with the used unit from eBay.
I paid 99 for mine. You can find them for less than 150 easily

Just FYI - I took my car to Fremont SC post-delivery for wheel alignment and panel adjustments and mentioned there that I had already installed Homelink and just need it to be activated. The Homelink was activated, and the invoice showed a $39 charge and a ($39) Adjustment.

YMMV.
Did you go in for an appointment or just drop in?

I've been trying to get an appointment with the Serramonte SC to schedule an appointment and they have pushed me back over 3 times now. It's really frustrating.

Just a update. Tesla came out this morning to configure/activate it. Took all of 5 min. Punched something in on his laptop and my car rebooted. Bam! homelink was there. Grabbed My clicker and he set it up and bounced. Gotta invoice after he left and I wasnt even charged the original 33$ estimate. Was done as goodwill. Bringing my total cost of all this to just 99 bucks for what I paid for the unit on ebay. 🤘🏾
961B9764-9376-4B3E-8D26-CD86D8265CA9.jpeg

Just a update. Tesla came out this morning to configure/activate it. Took all of 5 min. Punched something in on his laptop and my car rebooted. Bam! homelink was there. Grabbed My clicker and he set it up and bounced. Gotta invoice after he left and I wasnt even charged the original 33$ estimate. Was done as goodwill. Bringing my total cost of all this to just 99 bucks for what I paid for the unit on ebay. 🤘🏾View attachment 792497

Amazing! Congrats!
Can I ask you what you typed in your request and did you attach any picture? I just want to copy what you did and try it.
Let me know.