Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing! Congrats!
Can I ask you what you typed in your request and did you attach any picture? I just want to copy what you did and try it.
Let me know.
If you have another issue use that to get them out to you. Easier that way. I don’t have any other issues with my car so I went the route of taking them I had it moved from my previous model 3. They denied me the first time. Ac week later I tried again and said I was gifted one and included a pic of one in the box from eBay. Devious yes but it lately takes them 5 min to update/configure. They are in and out

If you have another issue use that to get them out to you. Easier that way. I don’t have any other issues with my car so I went the route of taking them I had it moved from my previous model 3. They denied me the first time. Ac week later I tried again and said I was gifted one and included a pic of one in the box from eBay. Devious yes but it lately takes them 5 min to update/configure. They are in and out
Yeah I tried that and the second request they also denied with a passive aggressive comment like "as we told you last time, we can not activate a previously used homelink device from a model 3 into a model Y, we have confirmed with our supervisors" or some BS like that.

Anyway, I ended up taking my car in for service to the local SC for autopilot annoyances (and some other things) and I just casually asked them if they could activate the homelink. They were actually pretty chill about it and said "we can take a look but it'll take about 30 minutes and it'll cost like 45 bucks" so I just said yeah sure spend 30 minutes if i you can't figure it out, it's fine. So they were actually willing to add it to my service request. Let's see if they can actually figure out how to activate it or not. I get my car back Monday. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: ishareit
I have decided not to go with DIY install because:

1. Used ones on eBay are around $150 and all the way to $400
2. Those $150 ish ones were manufactured around 2017-2018
3. These modules (from VW/Audi experience) might fail 4-5 years from the manufactured date.
4. Most of them are from Model 3 cars and from the wrecked cars and this module is very close to the front bumper (high impact area)
5. Risk of not being able to activate it due to the local SC policy or managers decision

Reactions: SirataXero
I don’t think so but my previous Audi/VW had several failed electronics modules after 4-5 years.
I just don’t want to gamble and loose almost $200 down the drain if it fails.
Sure. Valid point. I guess I'm assuming here that if your official Tesla bought/installed module stupid functioning, it's covered under the warranty? The general coverage is 4 years for the car. The accessory coverage is 1 yr ("The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the accessory, and coverage extends for a period of 1 year." - Tesla Shop). So, I think even if they do fail in 4/5 years, you're SoL new or old.

Sure. Valid point. I guess I'm assuming here that if your official Tesla bought/installed module stupid functioning, it's covered under the warranty? The general coverage is 4 years for the car. The accessory coverage is 1 yr ("The Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty begins on the purchase date of the accessory, and coverage extends for a period of 1 year." - Tesla Shop). So, I think even if they do fail in 4/5 years, you're SoL new or old.
I just did not want to go through a lot of hassle for already 4-5 year old module that might or might not fail soon (uncertainty). I never own any of my car more than 4-5 years, and the module will be sold around that time for about $150, and I am only out about $175 or so.

I just did not want to go through a lot of hassle for already 4-5 year old module that might or might not fail soon (uncertainty). I never own any of my car more than 4-5 years, and the module will be sold around that time for about $150, and I am only out about $175 or so.
Yeah I think that makes sense. I'm just mad on principle that they charge you 350 for a stupid part after paying 60k for the car and it can't even open garage doors. Haha either way, 300 is a drop in the bucket, $175 even more so. Relatively speaking.

Looks like they were able to activate my homelink during my SC appointment!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-152202_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-152202_Drive.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 159
Had mine installed today but tech couldn't get it to work because I had lost my remote. Even with using the "learn" button on the Liftmaster device it wouldn't work. So now I have to order a remote to pair with the liftmaster and then pair with the car. Hope it works.

I have decided not to go with DIY install because:

1. Used ones on eBay are around $150 and all the way to $400
2. Those $150 ish ones were manufactured around 2017-2018
3. These modules (from VW/Audi experience) might fail 4-5 years from the manufactured date.
4. Most of them are from Model 3 cars and from the wrecked cars and this module is very close to the front bumper (high impact area)
5. Risk of not being able to activate it due to the local SC policy or managers decision
1: Prices are up because ownership/popularity is up. Anything less than 350+ tax is a win but true the prices are getting up there.
2: yea they are typically from model 3s that shipped with them up to 2020. Or model s/x
3: anything can fail. If it does you swap it out like anything else. Once your car is activated to use it, you won’t need to be reactivated. It’s plug and play once it’s turned on.
4: some yes. As long at it’s not cracked or rattling. It’s fine lol. Its literally a chip and and antenna. Not much too it.
5: yea the activate process is annoying but not hard. Typically only takes 2-3 tries. It takes them like 2 min. That’s why it’s easy to get a mobile tech to do it once they are out there. There’s a official service job for it. A retrofit for 35-45$ or goodwill.

Either way this is just a method to get around the nickel and dime tactics of tesla. If it’s not worth the hassle thats up to you. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
Had mine installed today but tech couldn't get it to work because I had lost my remote. Even with using the "learn" button on the Liftmaster device it wouldn't work. So now I have to order a remote to pair with the liftmaster and then pair with the car. Hope it works.
Yea you definitely need the remote as you would with any home link in any car. It copies the signal your remote sends. So you have to let it read and duplicate it.