Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. It’s not true. And once the car is activated you can swap out another one and won’t need it to be activated As the car will be unlocked to use the home link software.
I hope that's true. The service tech at the Tesla SC told me "each homelink module needs to be paired with the car in software before it will work". However, the guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about so I kinda don't trust that statement very well.

I hope that's true. The service tech at the Tesla SC told me "each homelink module needs to be paired with the car in software before it will work". However, the guy didn't really seem to know what he was talking about so I kinda don't trust that statement very well.
He’s right each ONE does. After that one time it won’t.
Source: mobile tech I chatted with about the purpose of activation.

I too installed my homelink module myself and had a hard time getting Tesla to activate it. They told me to buy it from them for $350 or else they wouldn’t do anything.

I gave up for a short while.. then I had an issue with my repeater cameras (both the left and right cameras had water damage). The tech came to warranty the cameras and fix problem. Once he was in my car with his laptop I asked if he would “unlock” the homelink in the config file if I got him a case of beer. He hesitated at first but then looked at me and smiled “sure bro - I like any IPA”.

Only cost me $18.

😂🍺
Tesla Service refused to activate this time (I have Mobile Tech activate my used modules in 2020 and 2021).

I might have to go the IPA route.

🍺🤫😉
Screenshot_20220505-113112_Tesla.jpg

Tesla Service refused to activate this time (I have Mobile Tech activate my used modules in 2020 and 2021).

I might have to go the IPA route.

🍺🤫😉View attachment 801473
Yea, this is unfortunate. A total joke. Hopefully you get a cool tech who happens to like beer like I had. Best of luck. Dropping $600 for no reason is ridiculous! The licensing for the modules should not have to be paid for twice. Bummer.

Interesting. I recently had a mobile tech come out to install my Tesla garage opener that I bought from Tesla. I asked him if he had any customer asking to activate a used unit from either M3 or MY, and he told me that the garage opener is VIN specific and once it is installed it cannot be transferred even if you bought it from Tesla store.
I think either he has no idea what is going on with the used garage opener units and activation or Tesla recently changed software to lock those garage opener unit to VIN specific.
Anyone else recently got the used unit activated by either the service center or mobile tech to confirm?

Also, when the mobile tech installed my new unit, he didn't even have to hook up anything to the car. He just went to the menu and did the "learn" with my garage opener clicker and that was it.

Last edited:
Interesting. I recently had a mobile tech come out to install my Tesla garage opener that I bought from Tesla. I asked him if he had any customer asking to activate a used unit from either M3 or MY, and he told me that the garage opener is VIN specific and once it is installed it cannot be transferred even if you bought it from Tesla store.
I think either he has no idea what is going on with the used garage opener units and activation or Tesla recently changed software to lock those garage opener unit to VIN specific.
Anyone else recently got the used unit activated by either the service center or mobile tech to confirm?

Also, when the mobile tech installed my new unit, he didn't even have to hook up anything to the car. He just went to the menu and did the "learn" with my garage opener clicker and that was it.
This is not true, I had a used one installed in my car a month or so ago and plan on doing the same in my new one I am picking up next week.

First you could get a mobile tech to turn on the Homelink without it even being connected. All they're doing is going on their laptop and sending things over the internet to the mothership to turn on the Homelink Option in your car. The car reboots and bam you have the button! You can use any Model 3 or Y Homelink in any Model 3 or Y.

Activation was today... I flat out made a appt to have the Home Link kit installed! When the tech called me and I verified he was at another call and not at the shop I told him it's installed just need it activated, he said *sugar*! wait a min. Ok get out of your car close and lock and jump back in for it to reboot. Sure enough it did and bam done! he didn't even need to show up. He had a late day and he said damn should of told me sooner lol! I told him it's scary sometimes to know rather a tech would be willing to or not and wanted to wait till he left the shop. He ws glad with the late day I saved him some time!

Now... as for the Audi Homelink GEN5... didn't work! But I am planning on getting the Tesla one and making it work. basically just plugging it in now that the option is enabled!

Once I do I'm going to try to connect to the serial bus on both the Tesla GEN5 & Audi GEN5 to see if I can figure out the firmware differences. I might even plug both modules in and see how they're responding to the commands being sent. The Audi GEN5 seems to not be responding the way the Tesla Car wants it to. When I click start program it says wait a min to prepare and never prepares! If I instead select D-Mode it sits for 30 mins and states it can't switch to D-Mode. So there is a response the Tesla car is looking for that the Audi Module is not sending!

@davidew98 how did it go? Did that module work?

Once I do I'm going to try to connect to the serial bus on both the Tesla GEN5 & Audi GEN5 to see if I can figure out the firmware differences. I might even plug both modules in and see how they're responding to the commands being sent. The Audi GEN5 seems to not be responding the way the Tesla Car wants it to. When I click start program it says wait a min to prepare and never prepares! If I instead select D-Mode it sits for 30 mins and states it can't switch to D-Mode. So there is a response the Tesla car is looking for that the Audi Module is not sending!
I'm wondering if someone with enough knowledge can clone the firmware and install on the Audi one.

Reactions: davidew98
Well I will be biting the bullet for the tesla one. If I can kick myself out of the depressed funk I’ll give it a go. I know many people would love the cheaper module!!
The new unit from Tesla does not need to be "activated" by Tesla, It just needs to learn the garage clicker. So, if you can clone the new unit from Tesla, you don't even need Tesla to activate the used unit.

Yea, this is unfortunate. A total joke. Hopefully you get a cool tech who happens to like beer like I had. Best of luck. Dropping $600 for no reason is ridiculous! The licensing for the modules should not have to be paid for twice. Bummer.
Cool mobile tech showed up to adjust fog lights, AND flashed the software and enabled HomeLink function on Model 3 and Model Y.

These modules were from my 2018 Model 3 and 2019 Model X, which I've had DiY installed (activated by mobile tech then too) onto 2020/2021 Model Ys.

The same modules i DiY installed this time on 2022 Model 3 and Y - activated by mobile tech, who happen to like IPA too.

Thank you cool mobile tech guy!Screenshot_20220524-084734_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Hey guys I just had a buddy pick up his M3 yesterday and I was telling him how legit Homelink is. I bought mine from Tesla and they installed it. But my thought is:

After following the rabbit hole of CCS retrofit, service mode and software reinstall seems kinda powerful for all things DIY and self repair.

So my question is; has anyone installed homelink themselves and gone into service mode and reinstalled firmware to see if it activates homelink? I asume the tech are just doing that remotely. “Software Reinstall and updates” seems to just go through the CAN and other buses and just make sure everything is on the right firmware. So if you installed homelink and then software reinstall, I’ll bet the car sees the homelink module and just activates the UI for it.

Any tips on how to get Tesla to enable the software? The service center (via app) is interrogating me, I feel like as soon as I admit that I installed it myself they're going to reject my appointment.

Right now, they're asking where I bought the module from, and who installed it.

Any tips on how to get Tesla to enable the software? The service center (via app) is interrogating me, I feel like as soon as I admit that I installed it myself they're going to reject my appointment.

Right now, they're asking where I bought the module from, and who installed it.
Is the module already installed? If so you should test my Service Mode -> Software Reinstall trick. It wouldn’t hurt anything to give it a shot and it might just work.

Is the module already installed? If so you should test my Service Mode -> Software Reinstall trick. It wouldn’t hurt anything to give it a shot and it might just work.
It is installed. I just got a new software update so I can attempt that instead of the reinstall.

I don't think it's going to work regardless, as they need to turn the homelink flag from 0 to 1 in the backend.

Edit: Tesla giving me the runaround saying they won't do anything unless I buy and install from them

Last edited: