Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, after plugging in the unit will work until the first sleep cycle. After it wakes up it then references the config file. So this is what they mean when they say “plug n play”. The car will allow it to work for testing purposes regardless of “installation status”. Unfortunately the config file needs to have the box checked for it to work permanently- this is where Tesla service is necessary. There is no way around it.
Look at my above post, I simply bribed the service guy with a 12 pack. $325..lol
After the sleep cycle will the module work if you disconnect and reconnect the module? If so it sounds like some relays can be added to "reboot" the unit after every sleep cycle and have a working homelink without config update?

After the sleep cycle will the module work if you disconnect and reconnect the module? If so it sounds like some relays can be added to "reboot" the unit after every sleep cycle and have a working homelink without config update?
I believe that once the system “sees it” for the first time it is forever added to the list of installed hardware. It’s just waiting for it’s initial activation - hence why it works for testing purposes until it is signed to the car. Unplugging it and then re-plugging it (which is what a 5-wire relay would also do) would not “remove it” and then “reinstall” it. The software is smarter than that.

My neighbor unplugged his and that replugged it back and the system still recognized it from before.

Do you guys have any suggestions for my situation? Service Center refused to send out somebody to my location because I mentioned I had installed the module myself. They wanted me to buy it directly from them.

*Located in Canada*

Do you guys have any suggestions for my situation? Service Center refused to send out somebody to my location because I mentioned I had installed the module myself. They wanted me to buy it directly from them.

*Located in Canada*
submit a service request for something like tire rotation and you hit the mobile tech with either a six pack or nice cold ice americano while asking for activation.:cool:

Any updates? I don’t really want to spend another $350 on another module when I already bought one for my model 3 from Tesla that I now want to put in my model y
I requested to "adjust foglight, aligment/gap" and was assigned mobile service. The tech inspected the "misaligned foglight" but recommend no fix - then I just casually asked him if he can activate the HL module I installed from my previous Model 3 - did something on his laptop and HL was active. Did it for 2 (Model 3/Model Y)
I gave him some of my IPA as token of appreciation. 😉
20220504_212527.jpg

Bought it from ingenext for $135 + $19 shipping to CA. I will try to install it myself and see how to get Tesla service to activate it.

Just bought a Model 3 for my startup. We have to install HomeLinks on our first two. Scheduled it through the Tesla Mobile App and they are only charging us $115 for the module and free install. I'm so confused because it's $350 on the website. (I came to this thread searching for the part number to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious).

Reactions: RoBoRaT
View attachment 856436
If I buy the mount part number 1098355-00-B - BRACKET, HOMELINK V

Do i need some a bolt or screw to mount it to the vehicle of a Model Y?
Anyone have the part number for that?
Yes, and that's too much extra to buy when you can mount this way:

Reactions: akidesir
Hi, today I successfully installed HomeLink without the help of Tesla Service (since we don't have service in my country), with the use of Toolbox 3:

There might be a way to install it event without the Toolbox, which I mentioned on the thread above

Hi, today I successfully installed HomeLink without the help of Tesla Service (since we don't have service in my country), with the use of Toolbox 3:

There might be a way to install it event without the Toolbox, which I mentioned on the thread above
How did you get toolbox 3?

Done. No more haggling with Tesla Service.