Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for 2 Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search for this question and couldn't find anything, so apologies if this was asked before.

We currently have a Model 3 & a Model Y. Was interested in getting the homelink garage opener for both vehicles from the Tesla Store. Would we have to buy one homelink for each car or would it work for both cars if we just bought one homelink from the Tesla Store?

Thanks

Homelink in one car will not do anything for the other car, so whether you need one or two is up to whether you want the functionality in both cars or only one.

You are basically asking the same question as " do I need a garage door clicker for each car, or can I buy only one for one car?" If you only want homelink in one car and the other one is going to use the garage door clicker you have, then you only need one if thats how you want to do it. If you want the same in car experience for both, you need two.

Its a physical part that gets installed.

Upvote 0
Homelink in one car will not do anything for the other car, so whether you need one or two is up to whether you want the functionality in both cars or only one.

You are basically asking the same question as " do I need a garage door clicker for each car, or can I buy only one for one car?" If you only want homelink in one car and the other one is going to use the garage door clicker you have, then you only need one if thats how you want to do it. If you want the same in car experience for both, you need two.

Its a physical part that gets installed.
Got it thanks. So it's better to look at it as buying a physical garage door opener for one car that is a piece of software installed in the car?

I wasn't sure if it was something installed on the garage door opener that could be used by mulitple Tesla's

Upvote 0
Got it thanks. So it's better to look at it as buying a physical garage door opener for one car that is a piece of software installed in the car?

I wasn't sure if it was something installed on the garage door opener that could be used by mulitple Tesla's
Actually, it's a piece of hardware that is installed in each vehicle. The software then works with the hardware to send the signal to your garage door opener.

Upvote 0

Ahh ok I understand the confusion about that. As @MorrisonHiker mentioned, its an actual physical part that gets installed in each vehicle. Its also a software activation for that physical part, so its both, but one doesnt work without the other, for a specific vehicle.

Reactions: tibi81
Upvote 0
I tried to search for this question and couldn't find anything, so apologies if this was asked before.

We currently have a Model 3 & a Model Y. Was interested in getting the homelink garage opener for both vehicles from the Tesla Store. Would we have to buy one homelink for each car or would it work for both cars if we just bought one homelink from the Tesla Store?

Thanks
Just bought HomeLink for my Model Y that I have not taken delivery of yet, so the TESLA technician has not yet installed my HomeLink. That said, I know what the component looks like, and I’m pretty sure that the hardware that was sent to me gets installed inside my TESLA. It is my understanding that the component gives the TESLA computer the ability to control when a garage door radio signal is sent out (and may actually be capable of sending the signal much farther than a traditional garage door remote opener). I am not aware of any hardware needs to be configured to the existing garage door opener hardware. In fact, it is my understanding that you must already own and have installed a garage door opener of some kind in order for TESLA HomeLink to work.

Personally, I found it to be a rip-off at $350, but I really wanted it and I am not aware of any comparable alternatives.

Upvote 0
Just bought HomeLink for my Model Y that I have not taken delivery of yet, so the TESLA technician has not yet installed my HomeLink.

Personally, I found it to be a rip-off at $350, but I really wanted it and I am not aware of any comparable alternatives.

I have a Chamberlain garage door motor with myQ embedded, which means I can operate the garage door from anywhere via a phone app.

The killer alternative to the HL module would be if Tesla actually launches an in-car App Store, which could theoretically mean Chamberlain could have a myQ app in the car. That would be more convenient than needing to pull up and activate the door opening on my phone.

It doesn’t appear that Chamberlain has any proximity-driven automation (like HL provides), but personally I’d prefer to manually choose when to open/close anyways. A myQ “button” on the MCU would be great.

Attachments

• B85F5EBA-B41D-47A6-B407-F39E394A642D.jpeg
    B85F5EBA-B41D-47A6-B407-F39E394A642D.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 67
  • 57125BA0-A750-47C8-B969-6DAB85B7907F.jpeg
    57125BA0-A750-47C8-B969-6DAB85B7907F.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Y_4_speed
Upvote 0
I have a Chamberlain garage door motor with myQ embedded, which means I can operate the garage door from anywhere via a phone app.

The killer alternative to the HL module would be if Tesla actually launches an in-car App Store, which could theoretically mean Chamberlain could have a myQ app in the car. That would be more convenient than needing to pull up and activate the door opening on my phone.

It doesn’t appear that Chamberlain has any proximity-driven automation (like HL provides), but personally I’d prefer to manually choose when to open/close anyways. A myQ “button” on the MCU would be great.

If myQ app supports Siri or Google Assistance then your problem is solved.

Upvote 0
If myQ app supports Siri or Google Assistance then your problem is solved.
It doesn’t. No reason it couldn’t, though. Chamberlain is/was greedy and required users to purchase yet another hardware device (ironically, I think it was actually called HomeLink—or Home Hub or something) in order to automate the garage door opener based on “Home arrival”. Chamberlain stopped selling that device and no longer supports any functionality within Apple Home. So, I can manually open a mobile app on my mobile device and open/close my garage door from anywhere in the world anytime via the internet, but I merely cannot automate that task based on the location of my mobile device. (i.e. Home arrival)

What a joke!

Upvote 0
It doesn’t. No reason it couldn’t, though. Chamberlain is/was greedy and required users to purchase yet another hardware device (ironically, I think it was actually called HomeLink—or Home Hub or something) in order to automate the garage door opener based on “Home arrival”. Chamberlain stopped selling that device and no longer supports any functionality within Apple Home. So, I can manually open a mobile app on my mobile device and open/close my garage door from anywhere in the world anytime via the internet, but I merely cannot automate that task based on the location of my mobile device. (i.e. Home arrival)

What a joke!
You can probably use another app like Tasker to launch the Chamberlain app and open the garage door based on location of the phone.

Reactions: THEbuz
Upvote 0