Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read mixed reviews on You tube for Homelink. Debating if I should get it for my Model Y LR.
Wanted to find out what do you all think? Who ordered Homelink and thinks its worth spending $300+
Who thinks its waste of money?

How long does Tesla take to install Home link?

I got it off eBay for under 100 and installed it myself. And when I took the car in for a trim adjustment, I asked for them to just install the software and they did it for free. Just told them it was my old one and I took it off as I didn't want to buy another one for 300. 🤣

I wouldn't say it's worth 300 but its definitely a luxury convience.

I use it every day, several times a day, and all year across more than one location. Works well with both garages and parking lot gates. Worth $300? Hard to say as "worth" is so individual, but I'm not thinking twice about it. It was installed my mobile service in my driveway in about an hour.

Personally, my favorite part of the software integration is how it senses when I'm close to the garage door or gate and I can either manually or have it automatically open either one. Simple, but effective and just feels good.

Is it worth it?

Depends on what you do with it. All it does is send a signal to trigger the operation of an opener device such as an electric garage door or gate opener…that’s it. The Homelink protocol doesn’t even recognize if the door/gate is open or closed, it just sends the trigger signal. Cost wise, you’re better off using the remote control that came with the opener and just clip it to your sun visor like you’ve probably done for years.

That said, the car does some magic regarding when it sends this signal and can do so at times unattended. Using geolocating, you can have the installed Homelink device, without your intervention, send its signal as you approach your gate/garage, and similarly do so when you drive away to close the gate/door. You can also have it work as part of the Summon command to, for example, close the garage after you’ve parked inside. These features work pretty well on my car and are indeed a convenience. What that’s worth to you is your call.

My 2018 M3 came with Homelink from the factory so getting it was not at issue. Today, having to buy it and have it installed separately after delivery, I’d probably still get it because I’ve grown to like the extra features described above. If it weren’t for those, I’d go with the remote-on-the-visor approach.

Reactions: pgcoco
I just put the remote in the fwd center console, only touch it when nearing the gate/garage. It's got 3 buttons, program one for each.
Because it's always in the same position in the forward center console, it's also easy to access in the dark.
It's never visible so not unsightly. Easy to access, take it with you when car goes in for service (or have a second for 10-15 bucks)

We got homelink set up recently and the convenience factor is awesome. The garage door open/close automatically at a set distance, the mirrors fold/unfold automatically, and I can control all my garage doors through the tesla interface. I can come and go without "breaking stride" and ensure my door is always closed when I'm out. While some may not feel it is worth $300... it's a whole lot better than alternative of having a bulky manual opener or dealing with your phone. $300 over the course of multiple years of ownership and peace of mind that I haven't left my door open is worth it to me.

In terms of install etc... once the box arrived, I set up an appointment with mobile services. Setting up mobile service appointment was painless and only took seconds. The tech confirmed I had the homelink in hand (via app) and scheduled the install for free. The install took a matter of minutes. The only real hiccup I experienced was, unfortunately, I have an older garage opener (my problem, not tesla) and it tends to be very finicky, even with its own branded remotes - though we did eventually get it to link up. The tech took a reasonable amount of time to try and set it up but after about a half hour of trying, he said sorry, there wasn't much else he could do and that I'd have to figure it out for myself from there. While annoying, I get it, the issue was with my garage door opener, not with the homelink or the car. In the youtube videos we watched, people were able to stand in front of the car, hit the button, and it immediately linked up. For mine, I had to hold the remote button for what seemed like an extraordinarily long time (probably a good 30-60 seconds) before it recognized. But once it did, we were good to go!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Not worth it for me. I spent that cash on PFF and ceramic. Anytime you leave your car for service, you lose your homelink cuz you cant take it with you when you get a loaner...
And this is why I have a couple of those $10 visor remotes as spares in my garage, put them in the loaner. Come to think of it, all openers come standard with visor remotes. ;) Do not have one in the Y but after using the one in the S I did order one for the Y. Very convenient not to mention cool.

There are some other options as well. Notably Tailwind. It is like $70 and does about the same thing. Geolocation open and close the garage. Allows for more than one vehicle to have the geolocation as well (with purchase of a $20 sensor if you have an iPhone). It will not be as accurate as Homelink. I got it to test out to see if it did what I needed prior taking delivery of my MYLR. My wife has a Model 3. One sensor in her car and one in my soon to be sold ICE vehicle. It uses your phone's bluetooth link to your car if you have an Android and if you have an iPhone it requires a sensor to linked to your car. We have iPhones, so the sensor sits in your gloveboxes, and when we get within 250 feet of our house, the garage opens. There was a bug in the new IOS (that has apparently been fixed) that did not allow auto close. I have yet to re-initiate to see if the auto-close now works with the iPhone; however, the auto-open is the feature I really wanted. So because it was not working to auto-close, I still have my garage door opener in the car. I pick up my MYLR tomorrow so I will be reprogramming for the auto-close. But for $265 less the auto-close not being there will still be fine for me. And I agree, for a 60k+ vehicle that it used to be included with, it should be included.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54