Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink for Model Y - Is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally worth it for me. I have it setup to open two doors at my house and one at my mom's house. The buttons always popped up when I approach the houses. The auto-open I've setup for the garage door has worked 100% of the time in the 5+ months I've had the car. I have it setup with the auto-mirror fold at my house, so every time I leave and arrive at my house I feel like I'm piloting a spaceship departing and arriving at a space port.🤣

Yes, you might say that a $60k car should have this stuff standard, and I wouldn't disagree. But I think plenty of other companies also charge extra for Homelink (for example Kia charges $350 for Homelink+auto dimming mirror for the top of the line EV6) and ultimately it's a drop in the bucket compared to the price of the car.

I'm in the camp that a car of this price ought to have it included - or at the very least a programmable button in the rear view (like almost every car built in the last decade...). But the reality is that it's not included, for better or for worse. And for $300, you do get a lot of convenience.

I guess I could see this either way. Homelink could be really cool, because there's some automation. I was originally going to get Homelink installed, but ended up not doing it. I forget where I first saw the idea, but I ended up using a single 3M command strip (the ones with the pull tabs so they can be removed cleanly) and taping my clicker to lower back side of the screen. It's in easy reach, perfectly functional, and maybe cost me $0.50.

Attachments

• IMG_2156.jpeg
    IMG_2156.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 308
I guess I could see this either way. Homelink could be really cool, because there's some automation. I was originally going to get Homelink installed, but ended up not doing it. I forget where I first saw the idea, but I ended up using a single 3M command strip (the ones with the pull tabs so they can be removed cleanly) and taping my clicker to lower back side of the screen. It's in easy reach, perfectly functional, and maybe cost me $0.50.
It really is that simple. Someone posted a few months ago exactly what you've done. 🎂

I just keep my remote in the center console - it's always in the same slot, reached without issue even in the dark.
3 buttons, each programmable, easily picked out.
I can take it with me when I Uber home from the service center.

we live in a gated community so this is definitely worth it for me. Opens the front gate when we drive up to the neighborhood then opens the house when we drive up to our garage.. It does sometimes fail when backing out of the garage (maybe 20% of the time)

after doing some reading it looks like if you drive into your garage and go reverse to check for spacing, it will fail the next time you back out all the way... so then you'd have to manually press it.

Experience with install was the same as everyone here.. installs in less than 30 mins and programming is simple.

I created a free version of Homelink using Home Assistant. My garage automatically opens when my Tesla arrives home. Unlike Homelink, my set up is able to detect if my garage is open or not. I currently do not have it set up for my garage to automatically close. The function is available for me to use but I just choose not to. I'm also able to manually open/close my garage via Siri.

I created a free version of Homelink using Home Assistant. My garage automatically opens when my Tesla arrives home. Unlike Homelink, my set up is able to detect if my garage is open or not. I currently do not have it set up for my garage to automatically close. The function is available for me to use but I just choose not to. I'm also able to manually open/close my garage via Siri.
Interested! How’d you do this?

It was worth it for me. Just having an additional feature for the car and being a clean install. I do like the back of the screen option above though 👍.
My universal remotes have a loose battery door and vibrate when driving. I'm sure that I could have done something with that as well. But for the price and convenience of the mobile tech coming to my workplace for the install I thought it was a nice option to add.

It seemed easier to program as well. I had more difficulty getting a two button universal programmed.

Reactions: Bobbo8
Interested! How’d you do this?
I'm using Home Assistant which is an open-source home automation software. Within Home Assistant, I installed the Tesla integration which uses the Tesla API to pull in all the data on my car. Using this, I created an automation where when the Tesla arrives home, my smart garage will automatically open.

Home Assistant also allows me to do other automations. I have one to remind me to plug in the charger to my Tesla. At 9:30PM if the Tesla is home, my Google Home will announce that it isn't plugged in and tells me what percent battery is left that way I can decide if I should get up to plug it in or not. If the Tesla isn't home at 9:30 PM, it will wait until it arrives home, after 10 minutes it will check to see if it is plug in and then make the announcement.

Another one I was able to create using HA was to install a wall-mounted remote that looks like a light switch in my garage that allows me to unlock my car, unlock the charger port, open the frunk without my phone. No wiring/electrical needed using a Lutron Pico Remote. I just used a label maker to place over the buttons so I know which button does what. It is also possible to do this with a Sengled Remote or a Philips Hue Remote if you don't have a Lutron Caseta Hub.

Last edited:
Not bad... I have my 3-button remote attached to the backside of the screen in the lower left corner. Opening any one of the 3 doors is a simple reach under the screen, and the remote can't be seen from within the car. I used that 3M velcro with the commnad "safe release" in case ever want to remove it. Easy peasy and freeeeeeee!

Used clicker for a year before going homelink. I regret not getting it sooner. I also used to have it velcro'd behind the screen but it would at times interfere with the charge door opening (gen 1 MY center console). For those who has it clipped to the visor, i would highly recommend against this. It is easily visible for someone to steal and pry open your glove box to find your registration. Next thing you know, they know your address and clicker to open your garage.

Homelink is expensive, but I find it to be worth it. One less thing in the car to rattle and/or have the battery die. The automatic open feature is excellent. It won’t fail due to a software update (looking at you, My-Q).

I see so many complaints about the price. On every car I’ve looked at that doesn’t include it Homelink costs about $300 - because that what happens when one company has the best/only product out there. Nobody is forcing anyone to get it. As mentioned above a Command strip works wonders if you don’t want to pay for it. Or get one of the few internet-based things which I do think are awesome and tempting…but are subject to software updates.