Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Button Locations - Left vs Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely other friends must have wrestled with this...

I've got two garage doors, which I've named "right door" and "left door" for the purposes of programming the Homelink in my Model 3. This was all well and good for years, as they names appeared vertically in the Homelink dropdown. Until now - the current software displays the Homelink buttons on the screen side-by-side, and it's driving me nuts that they're in the wrong order.

So after my wee child pointed out that they were wrong, I set out to fix it. Opened up the settings, and saw that "left door" was the bottom one on the list. I must have added it last, so it put it in the last spot. Great. So I deleted "right door" (the top listed) and then went through the process to program a new door: "right door" so that it would appear on the bottom, thus right, spot. NOPE. After I went through all the programming hoops, it added the new "right door" to the top of the list, and put its button back on the left.

Fair enough, new items must land on the top of the list. So I go back in and delete "left door" (the bottom one listed) confident that the newly programmed door will show up at the top of the list. Jump through all the hoops, program the door and... NOPE again. This time it added the newly added door to the bottom of the list.

And - so far - there's no way that I can figure out to reorder the doors in the list. Unless I'm missing something simple here... Anyone else figure out this solution already?

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.21.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.22.22 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: RogerMc
And - so far - there's no way that I can figure out to reorder the doors in the list. Unless I'm missing something simple here... Anyone else figure out this solution already?
I don’t have Homelink, so this is a guess—try removing both entries, then add them back in the order you want them to appear. This should work if adding a new entry just searches for the first empty slot.

Or maybe it's reverse-alphabetic from left to right? Try naming one "B Left Door" and the other "A Right Door" and see what happens. If no difference maybe it's ordered based on some internal ID number for the link, in which case you're probably out of luck.

Reactions: mswlogo
- the current software displays the Homelink buttons on the screen side-by-side, and it's driving me nuts that they're in the wrong order.
Now I am so glad I only have one door!! It would drive me nuts too. I am curious if removing them both (as suggested) and adding them back would work, but if that failed I'd probably just have to come up with names for the doors. Anything but the backwards right / left !!!

On a serious side, if removing and re-adding them both doesn't work, try renaming them and then removing them. After that, re-add them with the right / left names and see if it keeps them. I can see a scenario where the car is still "remembering" the old entries and trying to keep them when you just remove them and re-add them with the same name. If you fight with it that much, I'd also reboot the system after I deleted them, before I added them back.

I don't think there is any way the car could remember old entries in a rolling code system as if it used an old code it would not work with the opener. It's likely a Tesla software thing and for the record even Apple CarPlay struggles when connected to wifi openers. When you have multiple doors set up on Homekit it works fine from your iphone but when using CarPlay for whatever reason when you get close to home only one of the doors will pop up on your screen and it's the first one you programmed. It's a well known issue that has been going on for over a year as the 2nd door never pops up on CarPlay. For example I have a 3 car garage and labelled the doors "double door" and "single door". I programmed double door first but in my X3M I always park in the single door side and the only way I could get the single door to open via CarPlay was to use Siri via voice control as when I get near home the "double door" button is the only one that pops up.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any way the car could remember old entries in a rolling code system as if it used an old code it would not work with the opener. It's likely a Tesla software thing and for the record even Apple CarPlay struggles when connected to wifi openers. When you have multiple doors set up on Homekit it works fine from your iphone but when using CarPlay for whatever reason when you get close to home only one of the doors will pop up on your screen and it's the first one you programmed. It's a well known issue that has been going on for over a year as the 2nd door never pops
Yeah, I wouldn’t expect the rolling code to work, but I can see trying to hang onto the last door names. I have definitely seen weirder stuff happen in code. I am curious what happens when they are completely renamed.

Thanks all for the ideas and consolation. After a couple hours in the car, I figures out two solutions: one really simple, and one silly and a bit more work. To follow up with a few of the ideas: The car does not assign the list alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically), and it normally wants to add the new door on the bottom. But not always, hence my frustration... Anyway, here's the fixes:

The Easy Solution (that I figured out last, of course)
  • You're unable to switch locations directly, BUT you can do the opposite: I clicked on my "Right Door" entry, and then within that entry you can reprogram it... So I could reprogram it with the left door opener, and then simply change the name to "Left Door" and the order was preserved! Voila, easy fix.

The Other Solution (that I committed to first and spent almost...)
  • After trying and trying to delete the garage door entries and get them in the right order - each time climbing out of the car an up into the rafters to press the "learn" button on my garage door motor - I finally saw another way: Add a third door!
  • Instead of messing with the two doors, I just added another - third - new entry. This one I called "RRight Door" and it added at the bottom of the list, and showed up on the right (of the three) buttons, which now read "Right' "Left" "RRight"
  • I then went in and deleted the original "Right Door" entry entirely, leaving just "Left Door" and "Right Door" in the correct order. Then went and fixed the spelling of Right, and perfecto, Problem Solved!
I've got to imagine that in a software update Tesla will add the ability to assign garage door locations - since most tend to be next to one another, but very happy this is solved for me now! Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else flummoxed by the same conundrum.

Thanks all for the ideas and consolation. After a couple hours in the car, I figures out two solutions: one really simple, and one silly and a bit more work. To follow up with a few of the ideas: The car does not assign the list alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically), and it normally wants to add the new door on the bottom. But not always, hence my frustration... Anyway, here's the fixes:

The Easy Solution (that I figured out last, of course)
  • You're unable to switch locations directly, BUT you can do the opposite: I clicked on my "Right Door" entry, and then within that entry you can reprogram it... So I could reprogram it with the left door opener, and then simply change the name to "Left Door" and the order was preserved! Voila, easy fix.

The Other Solution (that I committed to first and spent almost...)
  • After trying and trying to delete the garage door entries and get them in the right order - each time climbing out of the car an up into the rafters to press the "learn" button on my garage door motor - I finally saw another way: Add a third door!
  • Instead of messing with the two doors, I just added another - third - new entry. This one I called "RRight Door" and it added at the bottom of the list, and showed up on the right (of the three) buttons, which now read "Right' "Left" "RRight"
  • I then went in and deleted the original "Right Door" entry entirely, leaving just "Left Door" and "Right Door" in the correct order. Then went and fixed the spelling of Right, and perfecto, Problem Solved!
I've got to imagine that in a software update Tesla will add the ability to assign garage door locations - since most tend to be next to one another, but very happy this is solved for me now! Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else flummoxed by the same conundrum.

I was following this thread with some interest, as I had not seen this issue here before (or at least couldnt remember seeing it in the model 3 subforum) and was surprised I had not seen it, given what you were going through.

Thank you very much for coming back and closing the loop. Very much appreciated.

I had this issue when I got my Homelink installed last month. After deleting just one door and adding it again it went to the wrong side again. Finally deleted both doors and started over. Left door first then the right. Worked for me. No messing with the names of the doors or reprogramming with the opposite door.

1. You order it separately as an accessory. They do not install them at the factory nor will they install them at delivery so after you receive your car you set up a mobile service appointment and they will come to your house and install it.
  2. Wiring is in place and it's a matter of installing the module and activating via software which is all handled by mobile service.
  3. I can't confirm that but very likely as I have not seen many instances of homekit devices not working with any brand of garage door opener.

Reactions: 3Volts2aTes
Basically after you get the vehicle you order it in the App. The Homelink Kit is (or was) 325.00 - which sounds expensive until you realize it includes the installation and any software configuration that has to be done for the vehicle. They ship the box with the kit to you - with instructions to NOT open it. Once you have a tracking number on it, you schedule a service appointment - either mobile service or a service center - and they will do the install for you. Takes about two hours at a service center, and some of that is just waiting on them to get started.

As far as working with your garage opener, that is most likely. I believe then Sears was either rebranding Genie or Chamberlain/Liftmaster. I'm sure there is better information online, but if it will work with other homelink setups, it will work with this, they are the same technology at the core.

** Edit: Some people on the forum for the MY have found the Homelink module on ebay for about $50, installed it themselves and the software recognized it. I get the wanting to do it myself, for fun and that may be a route for you. However, they also seem to be not having the mounting bracket and often zip tying it in place, etc. It also isn't going to be covered by Tesla, naturally. My personal opinion is that after ordering a 64K+ vehicle new, I'm not going to sweat $325 for something I want, and getting to have it covered under the cars warranty (and being installed 'properly').

I will also say that it works (for us) *almost* flawlessly. Closes and opens the way it is set right at the end of the driveway and is great. Once in a blue moon it will miss, but I am close enough to see it, and that seems to be related to me deciding to manually activate it and throwing it off somehow... :). My wife doesn't do that and it has never missed for her. Go figure.

Last edited:
I'm going to program the left door first in hopes that it stays on the left. If it doesn't I will just re-name them "double door" and "single door" as that's how I differentiate them on Homekit anyway. That only works if you have different sized doors like I do.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff