Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Button Locations - Left vs Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like I am going to stay with current hand-held garage opener for the time being until "Gen2" of Tesla homelink system. Trust me I am high-tech guy but I don't buy high-tech products until I am comfortable with. When I retired in 2013 I was working with Intel, AMD, TSMC, Micron, and other chips companies to develop a 12-node computer chip technology , now they are down to 5-node I think

Thanks all for the ideas and consolation. After a couple hours in the car, I figures out two solutions: one really simple, and one silly and a bit more work. To follow up with a few of the ideas: The car does not assign the list alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically), and it normally wants to add the new door on the bottom. But not always, hence my frustration... Anyway, here's the fixes:

The Easy Solution (that I figured out last, of course)
  • You're unable to switch locations directly, BUT you can do the opposite: I clicked on my "Right Door" entry, and then within that entry you can reprogram it... So I could reprogram it with the left door opener, and then simply change the name to "Left Door" and the order was preserved! Voila, easy fix.

The Other Solution (that I committed to first and spent almost...)
  • After trying and trying to delete the garage door entries and get them in the right order - each time climbing out of the car an up into the rafters to press the "learn" button on my garage door motor - I finally saw another way: Add a third door!
  • Instead of messing with the two doors, I just added another - third - new entry. This one I called "RRight Door" and it added at the bottom of the list, and showed up on the right (of the three) buttons, which now read "Right' "Left" "RRight"
  • I then went in and deleted the original "Right Door" entry entirely, leaving just "Left Door" and "Right Door" in the correct order. Then went and fixed the spelling of Right, and perfecto, Problem Solved!
I've got to imagine that in a software update Tesla will add the ability to assign garage door locations - since most tend to be next to one another, but very happy this is solved for me now! Hopefully this will be of use to anyone else flummoxed by the same conundrum.
Genius - after searching to try to solve this problem easily I found your post and fixed it. I’d tried once before and gave up thinking they were alphabetical. Turns out, they’re not.

Thanks!

Genius - after searching to try to solve this problem easily I found your post and fixed it. I’d tried once before and gave up thinking they were alphabetical. Turns out, they’re not.

Thanks!
This technique worked for me yesterday. I had just dealt with the reversed door order before but after 2022.20.x it became a bit difficult to read the button labels in the new, stupid tiny grey font underneath them.

Frakkin Tesla developers are probably paid intern wages, can't afford to own a Tesla given the cost of living in CA, and therefore don't know how their minor changes screw things up.

Well part of the problem is that $5,000 or $10,000 a month only gets you a crappy little apartment in Silicon Valley so no one on the design team has ever tried parking in a personal garage.

The second part is that the summer intern responsible for creating and managing the entire UI does not drive. I assume the kid is either under 16 or blind, but I don't know which. Likely both.

• Funny
Reactions: heavyD