Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door 'Flakey' at best!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Homelink garage door system was installed by a qualified professional electrician. This was to actuate my German made 'Hörmann' garage door, using the recommended 'Chamberlain' adaptor kit. During the 4+ years I've used this system, when leaving my garage (at best) the door only closes automatically 20% of the time! The other 80% I need to stop the car & manually close the door.

I'm pleased to advise that on return to my house the system automatically senses & recognises the proximity of the approaching car & about 98% of the time opens successfully.

I'm wondering if other UK members have similar issues & if they've managed to find a solution?

@Fab-fours this sounds like a positioning issue and not a signaling issue. Can you confirm whether the car is sending the signal to close the door and that signal is ignored, or is the car not sending the signal? I suspect that there is a problem with the GPS system that sometimes forgets where the car is while it is inside the garage and turned off. When it is inside it cannot receive the signals from the GPS satellites so it may take a few seconds to get an exact fix once the car is out in the open.

I had this same problem years ago when the auto open & close features first came out. I decided to same some aggravation and just turn off auto-close. So I have to hit the button on the screen when leaving. I'm used to it and it's no big deal. You may wish to do the same.

@Fab-fours this sounds like a positioning issue and not a signaling issue. Can you confirm whether the car is sending the signal to close the door and that signal is ignored, or is the car not sending the signal? I suspect that there is a problem with the GPS system that sometimes forgets where the car is while it is inside the garage and turned off. When it is inside it cannot receive the signals from the GPS satellites so it may take a few seconds to get an exact fix once the car is out in the open.

I had this same problem years ago when the auto open & close features first came out. I decided to same some aggravation and just turn off auto-close. So I have to hit the button on the screen when leaving. I'm used to it and it's no big deal. You may wish to do the same.

Hi Rick Thanks for your reply. Yes I agree it's most likely a positioning issue. Only 20% of the time the car shows the closing dialog box, which indicates the car will 'Auto Close' on leaving the house. The rest of the time this dialogue box fails to appear on the car's screen. I then simple exit the garage & I'm then forced to close it manually. Again I think you're right, it's most likely to be linked to the GPS not tracking/ seeing it in the garage. Yet the above reports, & others I've read indicate that the 'Homelink' system works well in native mode in the US. I'm guessing that 'Chamberlain' like most adaptors is probably to blame.