Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink garage door issue: auto-close stopped working, auto-open still works (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe 6 weeks ago the auto-close functionality on my 2014 S85 just stopped working. Same house, same garage, same garage door, same codes, none of that changed. I can't directly correlate to a Tesla software change but that's a possibility. Homelink has worked reliably for open and close for 4+ years and only the auto-close part stopped working recently. I tried
  • re-learning the GPS position (park outside the garage, press buttons, etc.)
  • turning the auto open/close on and off
There are no problems with the communication between the door and the car: the auto-open works at well over 50 feet of range and if/when I manually activate the system it works reliably at even longer ranges... so it appears strictly limited to the close functionality and the car isn't sending the signal - the chime never goes off in that direction.

Any thoughts?

+1 to what avmike said.

I've had the problem you described. Here's what worked for me. Unselect/turn it off and save the profile for a couple of days. Then while still parked in the garage, turn it back on and save the profile. When you put the car in gear, do not touch the screen not even the A/C until you have driven away. It worked for me.

I notice the same issues as OP. Coming home, the garage door always opens. Leaving? Not so much any more. It used to work great but immediately after the V9 update, it has been very inconsistent. The car auto closes the garage 1 out of every 5 attempts. I haven't figured out if my calendar pop-up is getting in the way or what? I am on v9.42 and I use calendar and Pin to Drive. Aside from that, I haven't put too much into troubleshooting this.

If you have auto-close already turned on, do not touch the screen until you clear your garage and give the auto-close time to do its thing. Remember how the warning with the count down box shows how to skip" it? I think touching anywhere on the screen while that box is waiting for a reply will cancel the auto-close. Even sometimes when it does not display, we could inadvertently cancel it with a screen touch. Try my suggestion and see if it helps.

Did you recently put LED light bulbs in the opener? These can cause interference, and are typically OFF when the door is closed - so opening is not a problem, but for closing, range is severely diminished.
This was my problem exactly!!!!! I installed LED bulbs the day V9 came out while I was waiting for the update to load. I had the issues with my garage doors and have been blaming V9 for 2-3 months. Had not even considered that LED bulbs would be the culprit. Holy smokes thank you!!!

Maybe 6 weeks ago the auto-close functionality on my 2014 S85 just stopped working. Same house, same garage, same garage door, same codes, none of that changed. I can't directly correlate to a Tesla software change but that's a possibility. Homelink has worked reliably for open and close for 4+ years and only the auto-close part stopped working recently. I tried
  • re-learning the GPS position (park outside the garage, press buttons, etc.)
  • turning the auto open/close on and off
There are no problems with the communication between the door and the car: the auto-open works at well over 50 feet of range and if/when I manually activate the system it works reliably at even longer ranges... so it appears strictly limited to the close functionality and the car isn't sending the signal - the chime never goes off in that direction.

Any thoughts?

Is there any chance you stopped the vehicle before the close signal was sent? As a safety measure, if you stop your car while backing out, but before the close-door signal is sent, the auto-close is terminated and you’ll have to manually tap the Homelink button to close the door.

• Informative
Reactions: TripleTrucker
This was my problem exactly!!!!! I installed LED bulbs the day V9 came out while I was waiting for the update to load. I had the issues with my garage doors and have been blaming V9 for 2-3 months. Had not even considered that LED bulbs would be the culprit. Holy smokes thank you!!!

I had LEDs in for 5 years and opener remote worked fine. Then one bulb was replaced with a newer model and voila remote became very flakey.