Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model 3 on 5/26, with the understanding it comes with Homelink. I have and use Homelink on both of my current vehicles every day and I want it and expect it. It's certainly annoying, to put it mildly, to be required to pay an extra $300 after sale on my $60,000 luxury vehicle for something that came on my Honda Accord years ago, not to mention the inconvenience of scheduling the installation.

Now, the obvious question is, did they install the module on all premium interior vehicles produced before 5/31? Or did they stop installing it at some date in the last month and just not tell us until now? Honestly, this kind of thing makes me want to cancel the order, on principle. In fact, the order agreement terms and conditions state "Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle." I.e., if they announce something new, they are not obligated to include it. But shouldn't that also mean that they don't have the right to delete something included with the vehicle at the time the order was placed?

Reactions: 67King
Our VW Atlas with Technology does not have homelink and it is missed.

If this helps Tesla be profitable then I support it.

My M3 Premium has it, if it did not I would have paid for it.

I understand everyone deep in the process who expected it for free (or whatever you classify it being included with Premium) and are now not getting it.

• Helpful
Reactions: XLR8OR
I doubt that they stopped installing Homelink in the Premium Interior cars prior to removing the feature from the product description on the website.

The question is, when did they remove the description from the website? Has anyone attempted to use Wayback to see when it was removed?

I guess if you don't have a VIN yet, you're out of luck? it will not be included on my order (placed 1.5 weeks ago). URGH. was looking forward to that feature where you pull in close to your driveway and the door will automagically open. Pull away a certain distance when leaving, and it will close. Sad..
I was as well, I've owned many cars... Have never had this feature. I guess I never will :(

I dont mind the money actually, but it should NOT be an "after delivery" option. IF they want to charge for it, it should be a check box on the order form, with the cost. Make it easy for someone to pay for it easy in the online order form.

This is the absolute wrong way to do this, in my opinion.

Exactly this. Fine make it an option but I should be able to order it with the option installed. Tesla would get better uptake as well if it was as simple as checking a box on the ordering page.

I ordered my Model 3 on 5/26, with the understanding it comes with Homelink. I have and use Homelink on both of my current vehicles every day and I want it and expect it. It's certainly annoying, to put it mildly, to be required to pay an extra $300 after sale on my $60,000 luxury vehicle for something that came on my Honda Accord years ago, not to mention the inconvenience of scheduling the installation.

Now, the obvious question is, did they install the module on all premium interior vehicles produced before 5/31? Or did they stop installing it at some date in the last month and just not tell us until now? Honestly, this kind of thing makes me want to cancel the order, on principle. In fact, the order agreement terms and conditions state "Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle." I.e., if they announce something new, they are not obligated to include it. But shouldn't that also mean that they don't have the right to delete something included with the vehicle at the time the order was placed?

Good take.

I got my VIN late night on the 31st... Hopefully still included because I need it. If not, I'll just have to express my displeasure and hope the DA hooks me up.

Dumb, since it's just a software feature they're taking away. I paid $200 for an aftermarket garage door opener that mimicked the factory buttons around the shifter in my Golf R, and it took an hour or two of installation. The 3 is the first car I've had that came with it 'free'. So I don't expect it to be free, necessarily, but taking it away just seems janky.

Oh, also, mine broke in the latest software update. It only works occasionally.

Dumb, since it's just a software feature they're taking away. I paid $200 for an aftermarket garage door opener that mimicked the factory buttons around the shifter in my Golf R, and it took an hour or two of installation. The 3 is the first car I've had that came with it 'free'. So I don't expect it to be free, necessarily, but taking it away just seems janky.

Oh, also, mine broke in the latest software update. It only works occasionally.

Its software and hardware, not just software.

Reactions: torontohm3wait
FSD didn't increase in price at all. In order to get FSD, you had to get AP.

Let's look at the configurations:

5k for EAP + 3k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

3k for AP + 5k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

And now we have:

2k for AP (priced into the car) + 6k for FSD = 8k total to get FSD.

What Tesla did is give us AP For the lowest cost so far, which is great for most people who don't need/want/care about FSD. Meanwhile anyone who wants FSD, gets it. Same price as it always has been. Or if you got lucky, you got it for less during the fire sale or between price changes (like when we had 2k AP and FSD was still 5k).

And if you think about it, FSD now costs the same pre and post purchase of the car, so it's actually more accessible than ever before.

Fair point. I was thinking more about the post delivery prices. There was the fire sale when people who had not purchase EAP yet could get AP and FSD combined for $5K. On my 2019 M3 I don’t have AP. My post delivery price for AP initially was $4K, then it went down to $3K. My post delivery price on FSD was $8K, then $5.5K, and now $6K.

I want Tesla to cut costs and be profitable but this is a problem.
On a $60,000 car I expect Homelink to be part of the premium interior option.
The other problem I see is that the service centers are backed up and do not need another option item to install.
Customer service has been a problem for the past year this will not help.

• Love
Reactions: tomot
According to Wayback Homelink was still included in the product description for the Premium Interior through May 27 but it was not in the description on May 31. So I think if you ordered up until May 27 you have a good chance of it still being included and you have a good argument to make with them if it is not.

My 2012 Volt came standard with Homelink. My 2015 Volt came Standard with Homelink. Even my 2004 Lamborghini had Homelink.

I was pissed when my 2018 Volt didn't have it. This is another bad sign for Tesla.

I really want a reason to buy a model 3 but the signs are all wrong. Sitting here looking at potential track cars instead.

I installed a new Chamberlain Garage Door Opener with WIFI last year, after my old chain driven opener finally quit working.
Its a simple install for anyone with minimal skills. I followed a simple you tube video "Tesla Model 3 Homelink Setup - No extra hardware needed" I followed the instruction and Volia it works!

My Model 3 has homelink and I love it. It now seems quaint to have to push a button to open and close the garage when I come and go. Only time I have to push anything now is when the cats get in the way when it is closing. (30% of the time -sigh) I would go for the $300 option if you have a garage. However, I can see a few reasons to stop making it standard. 1. some people don't need it so it can keep costs lower. 2. there are many more cheaper options becoming available now. A quick google search showed many WiFi and bluetooth garage door openers and retrofits that give the same functionality. Some also add in support for home voice activated devices and opening or closing your garage from anywhere. The increasing popularity of these devices will make homelink less desirable. If Tesla is smart, they should put Tesla branding on one of those devices and integrate it into the car's software and bypass Homelink's royalties and hardware requirements.