Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Garage Door Opening no longer included with Premium Interior Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this change points to two things:
  1. Tesla needs every penny they can get.
  2. There's enough "order flow" and/or back orders that they can do these things (raise prices $400 and then eliminate HomeLink for premium interiors) and think they will not lose orders.
If one slowly raising prices directly or indirectly it will not likely impact existing and potential buyers given "scarcity" heading into quarter-end. Tesla will pull every trick up it's sleeves to deliver a profit for this quarter.

I ordered my Model 3 on 5/26, with the understanding it comes with Homelink. I have and use Homelink on both of my current vehicles every day and I want it and expect it. It's certainly annoying, to put it mildly, to be required to pay an extra $300 after sale on my $60,000 luxury vehicle for something that came on my Honda Accord years ago, not to mention the inconvenience of scheduling the installation.

Now, the obvious question is, did they install the module on all premium interior vehicles produced before 5/31? Or did they stop installing it at some date in the last month and just not tell us until now? Honestly, this kind of thing makes me want to cancel the order, on principle. In fact, the order agreement terms and conditions state "Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your vehicle." I.e., if they announce something new, they are not obligated to include it. But shouldn't that also mean that they don't have the right to delete something included with the vehicle at the time the order was placed?

I ordered mine on 05/24 and it was considered included, mine was manufactured on 05/31 and if its not included then they're going to need to add it for NC. I would think its for any car purchased on or after 05/31 when they officially removed it from sales. They can't rightly sell you the feature and then strike it prior to taking delivery.

I don't see why you guys are acting like you deserve homelink for free. If you want it, it's $300. It's not like it's no longer an option.

If you think $300 is going to break the bank, Tesla wasn't for you anyway.

Tesla said the car I ordered included it for the price I agreed to pay. That's why I deserve it. A deal's a deal. It's not for free; I'm paying plenty for it.

Reactions: Pommie
Tesla said the car I ordered included it for the price I agreed to pay. That's why I deserve it. A deal's a deal. It's not for free; I'm paying plenty for it.
I agree. What if they said no more heated seats? No floor mats? (premium order) etc etc. If it was listed as an upgrade when I placed the order and paid for the car, the car needs to have it. Future purchasers are a different story.

My 2012 Volt came standard with Homelink. My 2015 Volt came Standard with Homelink. Even my 2004 Lamborghini had Homelink.

I was pissed when my 2018 Volt didn't have it. This is another bad sign for Tesla.

I really want a reason to buy a model 3 but the signs are all wrong. Sitting here looking at potential track cars instead.

The Volt was such a nice car, so SAD GM discontinued it after they spent a fortune developing it.

Dumb, since it's just a software feature they're taking away. I paid $200 for an aftermarket garage door opener that mimicked the factory buttons around the shifter in my Golf R, and it took an hour or two of installation. The 3 is the first car I've had that came with it 'free'. So I don't expect it to be free, necessarily, but taking it away just seems janky.

Oh, also, mine broke in the latest software update. It only works occasionally.

Although I agree that it should be included on the premium interior It's not just a "software feature" ordering it comes with hardware installation as well.

I suspect they could have a supplier issue and are low on units right now. There was thread I saw recently where a person who’s car was in the body shop was told homelink is out of stock with no eta..

If that’s the case it should be bundled again in the future.

It makes little sense to offer it only as an after purchase item given already stressed service unless this were the case... if it were about money it’d be an option in the configurator.

I'm guessing they removed it from the description, but are continuing to include it for another week or two so that most people who had it on the description when they ordered will still get it. They may give the upgrade for free for orders placed in May (or earlier). This sounds like a decision based on not including it for the SR+, and finding out what percentage of those paid to add it. They want to minimize differences between cars in the factory, so this simplifies things. I suspect Gentex is charging a hefty price for Home Link chips (They've updated the protocol, so I doubt patents will expire and free it up anytime soon). I don't particularly like it, but there you go.

The feature I want to see Tesla include is Integrated Toll Modules, so that we don't have to fiddle with EZPass transponders and the like. Apparently Audi is going to start including them. I suppose it's no surprise that the same company is behind them (Gentex). Tesla could add in HOV switches (some transponders have them), and even make the switch have an automatic mode based on the passenger seat belt.

We need someone with a June build date to post. I read somewhere that 5/31 was supposed to be the cutoff for installing Homelink at factory. I'm curious if they will install it anyway for orders taken before they removed it, or if we have to jump through hoops to get them to honor the agreement through a service appointment.

I placed an order on 5/27, my car was manufactured 6/4 and both chat support and my sales rep are saying that it will come with Homelink. My sales rep said they received a communication that all orders placed before the change date will receive Homelink (if ordered with Premium interior).

Picking it up tomorrow - will report back...