Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink/ Hormann Garage Door 'Flaky' Operations!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S85 seems to have difficulties regularly communicating my new Hormann Garage Door. The supplier of the door initially installed (a now) obsolete code converter, the signal from which my S85 regularly failed to connect, this I understand was due to Hormann uprating their security from 12 to 24 digit encryption.

So I had to research this only to discover I needed a 'Chamberlain Universal 2 Channel Receiver Model 8002' this apparently converts the signal back to 12 digit encryption so the Homelink system in the car will talk to the Hormann door.

However it's 'Flaky' at best! Up to 50% of the number of times it's supposed to 'AUTOMATICALLY' either open or close the door it fails. I need to keep manually keying the icon on the screen to get it to function! So in order to improve the car signal to aerial/ antenna communication, I've brought in a radio comms. technician who's recommended extending the aerial connection by use of an external aerial which I had installed for about a month.

The result of a first class external aerial installation via screened coaxial cable is disappointing. We've now exhausted all feasible possibilities on improving the signal communications. As a result both he & I have now concluded
the signal from the Tesla is weak or insufficient. Any suggestions on solving this intermittent problem would be much appreciated?

Reactions: croman
Thanks Steve for your above post, however I should point out that apart for the Hormann door mechanism where they've supplied a single quartz halogen bulb, the rest of my garage lighting in is fluorescent.

I therefore suspect the main issue here is the open & close signal transmitted from the car is too weak & needs amplifying.

My garage door (ancient Robie I inherited when I bought the house) had been almost perfectly reliable with the Tesla auto system - until this week, where it's suddenly taking two or three tries to trigger it most of the time, even when the car is right next to the unit.

I haven't figured out what was happening, and I didn't get new FW yet, but it sounds vaguely similar to your experience. I am using LED bulbs, so maybe I'll try @pilotSteve 's answer.

Two things:
1. Check to see if you have an antenna on the receiver and make sure it's not tucked away in the opener - it happened to us, the builder didn't want the antenna showing so he stuck it inside the opener unit and it's range was horrible. After pulling it out, problem solved.
2. You can get aftermarket rolling codes garage door receivers that can hook up to any garage openers with a remote button (which is almost every opener out there) - it hooks up to the same button you use to open/close the garage. I picked one up at local hardware store a while back when I was renting a house with such old opener that it wouldn't program the homelink. When moving out, I took it with me, not sure where I put it though.

It started for me a few updates ago. Sometimes works perfectly, other times I sit there and push the icon 10x to open or close. Tesla threw their hands up and said to reconnect the system, of course. Way annoying.

Same here. Automatic open bings, garage door stays closed (newer garage door opener), push button directly in front of garage door, nothing, after a few pushes it opens. It's flaky at best. I need to take it in to service, but hate leaving my car for days to get it looked at.

I don't think it's the signal, because distance doesn't impact my situation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, period, regardless of how close, if the door is open already, etc. Guessing that would all make a diff if it was a signal issue.

Reactions: Hazelwood
I called service about a similar problem I was having. They suggested that you delete that home link profile in the car and re-pair the vehicle with the opener. Worked perfectly again for me afterwards. Seems like one of the updates dorked something up.

I've also recently (last couple of months) had problems with our home link which previously never failed. I just deleted and reprogrammed it and will see how it goes.

However, the programming has gotten a bit broken IMHO. First it went through a phase that after parking the car in the garage, when I opened the car door to get out, the garage door closed !?? I cancelled the automatic open/close and went to the end of the driveway and reset to position after enabling auto open close. The next iteration, it would always show the drop down icon to close the door on leaving, but not do it automatically, although it would open automatically. After repeating turning off then back on auto open close and resetting the location (to the same place) it now seems to be working, but clearly something is broken in the software (not a great surprise).

Hi Guys it's now 6 months since I took delivery of my Hormann Garage door & since then with very little help from either Tesla, Hormann but finally some from Chamberlain/Homelink, I've been trying with the help of my most qualified electrician/ engineer to get my S85 to talk to my Hormann Electric Garage Door. Heaven help anyone who buys a Hormann Door & expects it to work easily with Homelink!

About a month ago after a lot of pain and wasted phone calls to a UK phone number that gets answered by the 'RAC Roadside Recovery' Help-line, I then trying a so Called European help-line for Chamberlain on a German phone number, that answers then places one on-hold indefinitely! Also many other research calls. Thank heavens I'm retired & have the time!

I was given the name & an email address from an electrical supplier for Chamberlain's 'Guru.' A supervisor by the name of Walter Keller. He eventually responded to my email & telephoned me to apologise for the poor service, saying it's something do with a corporate re-organisation. In his version of English (better than my German) he then said he would send me a remote control device that should sort out the communication problem between my S85 & my Hormann garage door.

It took a couple of weeks, but eventually after a couple of reminder calls/ texts, I received not one, but two remote controls, also another 'Chamberlain Universal 2 Channel Receiver Model 8002' which is the code converter device, but also two mini PCBs to plug into the converter. Well out of all the parts we received and after four hours 'Trial & Terror,' using an extended outdoor dipole aerial/ antenna to help with the signal, we finally found a combination that works automatically about 85% of the time.

I've now run out of time & patience to seek for the missing 15% extra efficiency! If you're having similar problems you may be able to get hold of Mr Keller as follows: - [email protected] or, try calling him on: 00 49 6838 9047100 or: 0049 1590 268 3303 He also responds only to texts on Whatsapp using the same number.

Good luck - you'll need lots of time & patience!