Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink: Improved install process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they program it to operate the garage door? I find that’s the most annoying part.
We just got our Homelink transmitter installed today and will be programming it in a couple hours. We have 3 garage doors and it takes us less than 5 minutes total to program them all. All we do is start the process in the car, hold the remote button and the lights flash. Repeat again for door 2 and door 3.

Update (as posted separately elsewhere):

A Mobile Tech came again this morning, took about 30 seconds to mount the module, using the supplied bracket and screw (it is tricky, screws in from the front but you do not/not need to remove the front fascia to make it happen), jack in his laptop to force the update and establish comms with the mothership. I then let the car sleep for about an hour, turned on, did a force reboot (foot on brake, pushing in on both steering buttons until the Black Screen of Reboot), and Home Link was on display ready for programming. Works perfect.

SS

I knew it. That bolt needs to go from the front side.

Right now...I am at Tesla Service Center, Y is inside bay --- updating the software to 2010.5.10.3. We shall see how much they charge me for "activating" DiY installed HomeLink module.

Reactions: empiredown
So how did you go about getting it activated?

Probably hasn’t. Like I’m 99.9% sure he hasn’t. And he went through all the trouble to access everything under the frunk tub and even though he had the mount and bolt, chose to use double-sided tape. That pretty much says everything you need to know.

If you self install, Tesla will send out a mobile tech to activate. But they also inspect that it’s properly installed and need to plug into the module directly, as far as I’m aware. So this guy kinda wasted his time along with a 2” strip of double-sided tape.

So not a waste of time, at all.

Self installed spare HomeLink I got from my wrecked 2019 X (replaced by Y). Service Center charged me $97 for activating HL f function.

Double tape did the job (to be clear, I recommend use the right hardware).

Now I have a spare HL module mount with bolt, free for those needing it when you DiY install - just pay shipping.

SoCal Cal, That makes a lot of good sense. Activation included with module price ! Some body paid the $300 for the Homelink when it was bought new. Whose to say, one retail purchase includes only one activation? No one until they show us in writing. You folks thinking of doing this yourself, - I say, go for it.

Yup, if you have the right module (see part number), why not! 20200402_161933.jpg 20200402_162604.jpg 20200319_123828.jpg 20200315_220318.jpg