Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink: Improved install process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news, had mobile service come and install my home link module, they have made it easier to install, only the frunk tub was removed, front bumper doesn't need to be removed on the Y. The actual part is shipped directly to your home address, when it arrives you schedule the installation appointment.
Total install time, with software update, 35 minutes.

Attachments

• Model Y Homelink.jpg
    Model Y Homelink.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 865
  • IMG_3904.jpg
    IMG_3904.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 198
Can it be DIY? Or does the software require technician?

The answer is don't do it DiY, if you bought the $300 HomeLink accessory from the Tesla shop.

I have a spare HomeLink module that I installed DiY, and set appointment to "activate" the feature on April 2nd. I hope just to pay half hour labor cost at $95.

Several Model 3 owners have done it this way.
I'll provide update here if Tesla goes ahead with activating my DiY HL module install.

The $300 price of the HomeLink includes installation, so no reason to DIY.

If you pick up a used one, there’s no warranty and you have to pay labor to get it properly installed and activated. Unless you can pick it up for $50 or less, just order a new one.

This is still mind-bendingly stupid that it isn’t a config option when ordering the car.

Reactions: preilly44
Good news, had mobile service come and install my home link module, they have made it easier to install, only the frunk tub was removed, front bumper doesn't need to be removed on the Y. The actual part is shipped directly to your home address, when it arrives you schedule the installation appointment.
What's in the box? Just the module itself? If not other items, I guess the harness is already installed and the module just needs to be plugged in after getting access?

There's a bunch of Model 3 Homelink modules for sale on ebay.

What's in the box? Just the module itself? If not other items, I guess the harness is already installed and the module just needs to be plugged in after getting access?

There's a bunch of Model 3 Homelink modules for sale on ebay.

I did not buy the $300 HL accessory, so I don't know what's all in it, but I removed the Frunk and found the harness/connector and the spot to mount the HL module mount.

Ended up not using the module mount and bolt.
I used double sided tape to mount the HL module on the same location.

How much did it cost to update the software to run the HomeLink function?
The purchase includes the physical install and update to have it activated. The model Y HL will be sent home from the Shop-Tesla stores, also unless it has changed, if you purchase HL on your account page, it will be shipped to the Service Center of your choice and when they get it, they will call you to set up an install date at the Service center. This is how it was done with the Model 3.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Nice. Mine should be here next week. I am glad mobile will do it.

So how did you go about getting it activated?

Probably hasn’t. Like I’m 99.9% sure he hasn’t. And he went through all the trouble to access everything under the frunk tub and even though he had the mount and bolt, chose to use double-sided tape. That pretty much says everything you need to know.

If you self install, Tesla will send out a mobile tech to activate. But they also inspect that it’s properly installed and need to plug into the module directly, as far as I’m aware. So this guy kinda wasted his time along with a 2” strip of double-sided tape.

• Informative
Probably hasn’t. Like I’m 99.9% sure he hasn’t. And he went through all the trouble to access everything under the frunk tub and even though he had the mount and bolt, chose to use double-sided tape. That pretty much says everything you need to know.

If you self install, Tesla will send out a mobile tech to activate. But they also inspect that it’s properly installed and need to plug into the module directly, as far as I’m aware. So this guy kinda wasted his time along with a 2” strip of double-sided tape.

I did this on my Model 3. Ordered the module from eBay, ordered the bracket and bolt directly from Tesla for <$20 total, installed myself and took to service center for activation. They told me it was included in the module price, so I got it activated gratis. Wondering if that might also be possible with the Model Y.

SoCal Cal, That makes a lot of good sense. Activation included with module price ! Some body paid the $300 for the Homelink when it was bought new. Whose to say, one retail purchase includes only one activation? No one until they show us in writing. You folks thinking of doing this yourself, - I say, go for it.