Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink: Improved install process.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SoCal Cal, That makes a lot of good sense. Activation included with module price ! Some body paid the $300 for the Homelink when it was bought new. Whose to say, one retail purchase includes only one activation? No one until they show us in writing. You folks thinking of doing this yourself, - I say, go for it.

Yeah, it's a great idea, but not sure if the service center was supposed to actually charge me. After I had purchased the module from eBay, I saw some instances of labor charges for activation. I actually called the service center and texted a mobile tech that had come to my house previously and both quoted a charge of ~$95. I purchased the module for $150 so was expecting only a savings of ~$50 which also required me to remove the bumper, order the bracket and bolt, etc. I was pleasantly surprised at the gratis activation, but was wondering what happens with the Y since the modules ordered directly from Tesla have warranties voided if the shipping boxes are opened by other than Tesla.

Reactions: Akikiki
Don't believe you can schedule a mobile appointment. Make the appointment at the SC, and in the comments ask for a mobile technician to do it. They'll contact you
Thanks, I called the my local SC and they said they were still doing mobile service and the app should offer it based on what you want done. I guess the app didn’t recognize my home link as mobile service capable, but the Ben said it def is mobile service capable, so hopefully they will send someone out to take care of it

Schedule via the app as a service center appt, then they may text you a day or two later to convert the appointment to mobile. That's what they did for us anyway.
Same. I also called and was told they'd review as I also had some trim work (rear seat back and coat hook) that requires addressing from delivery.

If you are unlucky like I was on Monday, your mobile service tech will have zero Y experience, try to default to his 3 skillz and attempt to take your front fascia off before you can intervene and point out the new Home Link location that doesn't require it to be removed... I have another appointment for the above bits next week. Hoping the new parts will have made it by then.

SS

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Same. I also called and was told they'd review as I also had some trim work (rear seat back and coat hook) that requires addressing from delivery.

If you are unlucky like I was on Monday, your mobile service tech will have zero Y experience, try to default to his 3 skillz and attempt to take your front fascia off before you can intervene and point out the new Home Link location that doesn't require it to be removed... I have another appointment for the above bits next week. Hoping the new parts will have made it by then.

SS

Could you give me some additional detail on this so I can point the tech in the right direction? Appointment is tomorrow...
Thanks in advance.

This.

I actually pulled up the vid to show him when his lack of Y knowledge showed. The included bracket is for the 3, so if your tech is not like mine he may double sided tape it. Mine would not and I have another appointment next week...

SS

Did you say the bracket (from the $300 accessory) is for the Model 3?

I had hard time using the bolt, so I used double sided tape (the module is so light, the tape is more than enough to hang 10lbs). The bolt is either too short or might have to insert from the front/other side....did the tech say what is wrong with the bolt?

I installed the HL module (spare from my wrecked X, same part number) myself, and have appt at SC to activate the function tomorrow.

Did you say the bracket (from the $300 accessory) is for the Model 3?

I had hard time using the bolt, so I used double sided tape (the module is so light, the tape is more than enough to hang 10lbs). The bolt is either too short or might have to insert from the front/other side....did the tech say what is wrong with the bolt?

I installed the HL module (spare from my wrecked X, same part number) myself, and have appt at SC to activate the function tomorrow.

The bracket. There is no real way to mount it properly with the supplied bolt. When you order from the shop, they send you the old mounting kit as well. Believe that is why you had the issue. Given the updates in the Y, it apparently mounts differently.

As light as it is, etc. I am sure the module will hold there just fine the way you did it. But you did it. My tech wasn't willing to have his name on it. I'll update the collective to what Tesla does next week with my stuff, if someone else doesn't get to it before me. Easy.

SS

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Update (as posted separately elsewhere):

A Mobile Tech came again this morning, took about 30 seconds to mount the module, using the supplied bracket and screw (it is tricky, screws in from the front but you do not/not need to remove the front fascia to make it happen), jack in his laptop to force the update and establish comms with the mothership. I then let the car sleep for about an hour, turned on, did a force reboot (foot on brake, pushing in on both steering buttons until the Black Screen of Reboot), and Home Link was on display ready for programming. Works perfect.

SS

Update (as posted separately elsewhere):

A Mobile Tech came again this morning, took about 30 seconds to mount the module, using the supplied bracket and screw (it is tricky, screws in from the front but you do not/not need to remove the front fascia to make it happen), jack in his laptop to force the update and establish comms with the mothership. I then let the car sleep for about an hour, turned on, did a force reboot (foot on brake, pushing in on both steering buttons until the Black Screen of Reboot), and Home Link was on display ready for programming. Works perfect.

SS
Thanks for the update, i have an mobile appt on mon. I’m hoping i get a tech who know what he is doing as I am trying to limit interactions with them (with everything going on right now) Can the techs access the car remotely? I was hoping to just leave my HomeLink adapter in the front seat and let them come in, do their thing, and then be on their way

Reactions: empiredown
Thanks for the update, i have an mobile appt on mon. I’m hoping i get a tech who know what he is doing as I am trying to limit interactions with them (with everything going on right now) Can the techs access the car remotely? I was hoping to just leave my HomeLink adapter in the front seat and let them come in, do their thing, and then be on their way

I plan to put my car out in the driveway for my appointment Monday and unlock it when they arrive.

Reactions: phoha21
Yes, no interaction needed. You'll just have to do the programming yourself after they split with your garage door, but the prompts from the system are very easy. Much easier than some of my other cars to perform. Good luck/stay healthy!

SS

Reactions: phoha21
Good news, had mobile service come and install my home link module, they have made it easier to install, only the frunk tub was removed, front bumper doesn't need to be removed on the Y. The actual part is shipped directly to your home address, when it arrives you schedule the installation appointment.
Total install time, with software update, 35 minutes.

Did they program it to operate the garage door? I find that’s the most annoying part.