Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink included in any model 3? [not any longer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really want this option and would gladly pay the $300 but I'm leaning toward not doing it. Have you seen the install videos? They have to take the entire front end of the car apart! I'm sure they are good at what they do but it's not going to be the same as factory assembly. It's ridiculous this can't be a factory installed option.

Some people have reported that the mobile technician that installed one in their car didn't pull the bumper cover off, they were able to squeeze it in with only taking the frunk tub out.

But really, taking the bumper cover off and reinstalling it isn't that big of a deal.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Seems like a weird option to leave out of even the higher end models. I understand for the $35k or even the standard range plus versions. But not even including it for the long range and performance versions?

From what we have heard Tesla looked at usage data and saw that most people were not using Homelink, so they removed it as a standard feature to avoid paying Homelink the royalties for all of the unused Homelink devices installed in cars.

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
From what we have heard Tesla looked at usage data and saw that most people were not using Homelink, so they removed it as a standard feature to avoid paying Homelink the royalties for all of the unused Homelink devices installed in cars.

I understand not having it included, what I don't understand is why they can't option it in to the purchase. They should be able to install it for you before you get the car. At a minimum, just send a mobile technician to the delivery center every morning and install for people who want them.

Reactions: C141medic
Sadly gone and is an add-on. As someone who just got it installed though, it really is great. My former cars always had Homelink buttons in the mirror, and with the Tesla, it uses GPS to even press the button for you. I think it's a bit of a steep price, but I don't regret getting it installed.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
My 2018 AWD LR has it and my husband’s 2017 MS does too. So you’ll find it on all the older model Teslas I think, just not sure when the cut off date was when it was made optional. Homeowners with garages who were probably the majority of Tesla early buyers made the most use of it. Also those with driveway gates or living in gated communities. As more apartment/condo inner city dwellers without garages became a larger group of purchasers, it didn’t make sense for them to install a part in every car that never got used, and added to the cost of the vehicle in the end. Plus there would be extra production time saved on their end and mobile or service could install if the owner needed it. Some people probably still use their current garage remotes instead of adding it and save the optional cost of it. It is nice to have but could just as easily store an old remote in the center console. The $300 does include installation and having mobile come to your home is very convenient if that’s an option in your area.

As for production time goes it would hit or miss on cars being made as people change their minds during pre-delivery and even after that some will reject the car delivered so I can see the wisdom in installs after purchase.

Last edited:
I used a command strip to attach my remote to the inside of my driver side door pocket. Easy to reach, don't have to do the tacky visor thing, and I'm $300 richer!

Tim

manually pressing buttons, like some sort of peasant. WHAT IS YOUR DIGNITY WORTH??

but in all seriousness the GPS-linked home link is one of my favorite features of the car and I'd hate to give it up.