Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Installation for 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how’s the homelink install for the 2021 Model 3 now? Bumper removal still or frunk removal now like the Y?

Same as always. Bumper comes off the 3 but not the Y. Order the kit online and schedule a mobile tech to install it. Don't even think about installing it yourself as it totally spooks them.
Nope - I had Homelink installed 2 weeks ago on my 3P and the tech only removed the frunk liner. It was VERY easy to remove around 9 bolts and the big plastic frunk out. The harness and bolt to attach the Homelink unit is very accessible w/o removing the bumper. Also I don't think you can install it yourself; he needed a laptop to upload some software.

The little homelink unit is visible in the bottom picture, lower right towards the bumper with the little blue tab.

DBDCE29C-5D9C-4BE2-AE7C-008E4FFCA528.jpeg

1B0B655A-5905-42CD-95DA-F1B5315CE78A.jpeg

It works exactly as they claim, and allows a geo-fence type method of opening / closing the garage door when you use their little Bluetooth pucks. It also has integrations with other services like IFFTT, Alexa, and HomeKit (in beta).

That's awesome. I've been researching a door opener, and I definitely want something that can work with IFTT and HomeKit.

I was close to going with the Meross smart opener (especially when I was on sale for like $35), but there seems to be some suggestion is needs another module/harness to work with our particular opener, and it's not sold through retail, you have to contact them directly, just sounded kind of "iffy".

FWIW, their other products are stellar, and work perfect with HomeKit.

That's awesome. I've been researching a door opener, and I definitely want something that can work with IFTT and HomeKit.

I was close to going with the Meross smart opener (especially when I was on sale for like $35), but there seems to be some suggestion is needs another module/harness to work with our particular opener, and it's not sold through retail, you have to contact them directly, just sounded kind of "iffy".

FWIW, their other products are stellar, and work perfect with HomeKit.
One other huge advantage - shared with other solutions - over HomeLink is that it knows the door status - if the door is open or closed. It’s not just a command to open/close the door. HomeLink doesn’t “know” so it just sends the command regardless of status.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Oh yeah, same thing with this product, having the yellow programming button on a Chamberlain branded opener is some kind of special requirement.

This is from their compatibility lookup:

1631460499846.png

From what I could find, that yellow, round button means it's a Security+ 2.0 spec, that uses some kind of rotating codes - I guess it's supposed to be more hack/spoof proof or something.

The same thing with the Meross product:

1631460806064.png

I guess I should just pick one and get the necessary additional hardware!

My Homelink module was installed today on my '22. I was expecting that the bumper cover would not be removed. The tech said it had to be removed. I thought about cancelling the installation - and it turns out I probably should have - but it is installed. I have an appointment at a service center at the end of next month to (hopefully) resolve the two new issues.

HomelinkInstalled.jpg

You shoulda asked him to slap a radar module in there while he had it open. 😜

At any rate, pulling the bumper off is not a big deal and the original front center location surely offers better performance. I suspect Tesla just found that the back of the bumper works well enough and updated the installation instructions to save money.