Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased the HomeLink Automatic Garage Opener kit (P/N 1508524-00-A) for $350 via the Tesla model 3 App for my 2022 Model 3 Performance . The purchase includes free installation.
When I try to setup a mobile install, I am getting an install charge of $124. Why am I getting this charge? Do I have to have it installed at the Scottsdale Raintree Service center to get it installed for free?

Thanks!

I purchased the HomeLink Automatic Garage Opener kit (P/N 1508524-00-A) for $350 via the Tesla model 3 App for my 2022 Model 3 Performance . The purchase includes free installation.
When I try to setup a mobile install, I am getting an install charge of $124. Why am I getting this charge? Do I have to have it installed at the Scottsdale Raintree Service center to get it installed for free?

Thanks!
I just had Homelink installed by Mobile Service after purchasing the Homelink accessory online. No charge on invoice. I would text the Service Advisor to make sure they correct the estimate.

No installation costs. All is including in the price.
"Der Preis beinhaltet die Installation" = The price includes the installation :)
Check the text in the Tesla Shop item.

No install charge per, its even noted on the FAQ on the item in the accessories. Probably just a mistake, but I’d contact them as suggested to correct. Not to hijack your thread, but make sure they stay when installing, if mobile service comes to install, until all functions work. Mine was done by mobile service and they did a great job on that and the tire rotation but…….both doors auto-open, but neither work on auto close. We also live in a gated area and they quickly set up the gate, just with the remote opener, but it also is not functional. Not sure if its a rolling code or not, so if it is I’ll have to figure out how to get access to some kind of learn button?? My wife has a new Hyundai PHEV and all functions including the gate work perfectly (It does not have the auto-open/close feature though) so I’m assuming its not a rolling code since I only needed the gate fob to set it up. Just wanted to give you a heads up Since all functions in my case don’t work and the whole thing was part of the vehicle purchase on the Hyundai and it works perfectly.

Thanks all for the replies! I will setup a home install after I have minor trim work done at the Scottsdale Raintree service center.

If you are having work done at a SC already, you should see if tesla can install it for you while they have you car already. Install is supposed to be included in the price of the homelink module, or, at least it always has been previously. I just had the homelink module installed in my wifes 2022 model Y in March of this year (2022), and it was no additional charge then.

Thanks all for the replies! I will setup a home install after I have minor trim work done at the Scottsdale Raintree service center.
Yah, like the previous poster said, if one is at the SC anyway have them do the install there, especially if the use is something simple like a straight garage door opener.

Couple of minor comments about the set-up, all mentioned in the instructions:
  1. At some point you have to teach the Homelink your garage door's opening code; this is done by hitting the garage door remote when the car is listening. On both of the same brand controllers on the garage doors we have over here, it didn't take the first time. Trick turns out to be that one has to hold the opener near the front right of the front bumper, where, presumably, the car's antenna for the purpose is located.
  2. One of the niftier things about the Homelink is that it's integrated with the Nav on the car. You can rig it so it closes the door or opens the door as one leaves or arrives, respectively. The distance it does this from is settable. I found out that 100' distance is too large; 50' works better. At 100', the car will "ping" and try to open/close the door, but it was hit-or-miss, the car was too far from the door. At 50' it all works much better.

Reactions: AZTech
Had the HomeLink installed on 8/11 via mobile service. The tech that installed it was great. Took about 1.5 hours. There was no charge for the installation.

Attachments

• HomeLink Installation2.JPEG
    HomeLink Installation2.JPEG
    509.2 KB · Views: 435
  • HomeLink Installation5.JPEG
    HomeLink Installation5.JPEG
    441.4 KB · Views: 317
  • HomeLink Installation11.JPEG
    HomeLink Installation11.JPEG
    420.2 KB · Views: 338
If you are having work done at a SC already, you should see if tesla can install it for you while they have you car already.
While this seems logical, you really do want the mobile team to do this for you because they will program it before they leave and verify it is working - which they can't do if it's installed at the shop.

I looked at the factory service manual for the Homelink install on the 2022 Model 3, and looks like the front fascia does have to come off or at least pried like the tech is doing in the above photos?

Model Y seems to be accessible via the frunk opening (with the tub removed).

Honestly I was a bit appalled at the cost for the garage door opener to be a part of my Model 3.
I also have Home-link and downloaded the app so I open and close the garage from my app on my phone which I always have with me when i DRIVE.

Most manufacturers seem to charge around $300 give or take for a stand alone Homelink option. I suspect Gentex Corp sells the modules to all of them at some price that makes $300 some sort of practical floor.