Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI in case your curios about the homelink hardware. The Tesla Ranger had it stalled in about 5 min and the frunk of the Y comes out very easily.

Attachments

• 20200902_152927.jpg
    20200902_152927.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 20200902_152933.jpg
    20200902_152933.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 20200902_153039.jpg
    20200902_153039.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 20200902_153049.jpg
    20200902_153049.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 149
Just had mine installed. Love it but it won't accept or work with the fob I have for our sub-divisions entry gate. Am guessing it has a "rolling code". It did allow me to set it up and mar the GPS location so the pop-up window opens but sadly the gate does not. That was something we really wanted.

And I was surprised to see how small the 12V battery is, its not much bigger than something you'd find in a lawn tractor. Plus it's made by Hankook, didn't know they made batteries.

Just had mine installed. Love it but it won't accept or work with the fob I have for our sub-divisions entry gate. Am guessing it has a "rolling code". It did allow me to set it up and mar the GPS location so the pop-up window opens but sadly the gate does not. That was something we really wanted.

And I was surprised to see how small the 12V battery is, its not much bigger than something you'd find in a lawn tractor. Plus it's made by Hankook, didn't know they made batteries.

I would think it has a learn button ... maybe snag the security guard or property person to let you program it?

Or just be like me and start pulling their stuff apart and look.

I had a problem with the homelink on my X and it now persists with the Y. I have to back into my garage to reach my charger which means I have to back up my driveway. The GPS location does not trigger when the car is in reverse. It will just say opening in 20 ft..... and never change. Because of this, I have to set the location at the entry of my driveway when my car is pointed at the house. This puts me on the ragged edge of range.

The tech said it is because the signal is directional and emits from the front of the car but that is not exactly right. If my car is right in front of my garage but facing away from it, it still works. It's just the GPS won't trigger in reverse. I was able to finally find a spot that worked about 85% of the time with my X and I just need to find that spot for the Y as well. Its a matter of driving slowly towards the house, hitting the spot, triggering the garage, then flipping a u-turn, and then backing up the driveway :)

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I just had homelink installed, and a new garage door. I'm unable to get the door to close automatically after leaving. It does open automatically when coming home.

Does anyone know if theres a one button method for opening the door and then engaging summon? I had thought I'd be able to press one button, have the door open then the car come out to me.

I also have not been able to use the key code on the physically button pad I have outside my garage, once I setup Homelink. I'm not sure if I just did something wrong when I paired the Tesla.

I just had homelink installed, and a new garage door. I'm unable to get the door to close automatically after leaving. It does open automatically when coming home.

Does anyone know if theres a one button method for opening the door and then engaging summon? I had thought I'd be able to press one button, have the door open then the car come out to me.

I also have not been able to use the key code on the physically button pad I have outside my garage, once I setup Homelink. I'm not sure if I just did something wrong when I paired the Tesla.

There should be a option box to check "close when leaving" or similar

As for the keypad, I'd just relearn it to the opener.

Replace the battery in your code box outside.

Also for all other with issues, see if you have an LED light in the garage door opener, if you do, remove it and try again.

I too have to back up my 3 and Y into the garage due to the wall charger location. So returning and leaving works fine, The fix was removing the LED light from the Marentec garage door opener.

Fred

Even if the gate has a rolling code (as many garage door openers do) there is probably a way to program it. As others have suggested, it will probably require pressing something on the gate opener. If your community is willing to work with you and give you access to the programming or "learn" button, you can probably get it to work -- just depends if they're willing to do that for you.

Keep an eye out on the negative terminal of the battery and make sure it’s tight (if you want to go and check.) There have been a handful of times the car shuts down a few days later. All led to lose battery negative terminal (from what I read). Just a heads up.

I was a victim of this when I had the Homelink module installed. The mobile ranger appointment was on a Thursday and I did not drive the vehicle until Saturday afternoon. After driving about 15 miles (Freeway and city), a bunch of alerts popped up on the screen.

Electrical system power reduced (Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly)
Unable to drive (Voltage supply too low)

Right away, I noticed the AC and music streaming stopped working. Even the windows were not operational as it was 105F outside of the time. I quickly drove into a random parking lot and put the Y in Park. Did a soft and hard reset by pressing on the brake + holding the two buttons on the steering wheel but the alerts were still popping up on the screen. I tried putting the vehicle in Reverse and in Drive but that was also not functioning. Ended up calling Tesla Roadside Assistance and was towed to the nearest Service Center.

My Model YP was about 2 months old and had around 215 miles on the odometer at that time. Really disappointing after having it repaired twice for paint defects, panel gaps, and misalignments.

After leaving the Y at the Service Center about a week, here is what the advisor provided in the invoice.

Invoice Statement:
Inspected and found a grounding connection was not secure. Tech re-secured loose connection and replaced grounding nut, verified no alerts present. Vehicle is operating as designed.
Verified Proper Operation.
Correction: General Diagnosis.
Total Amount Billed: $0.00

June 2020 build
VIN 013XX

Lessons Learned:

1. Make sure the ground (Negative) cable is securely tightened on the 12V battery.
2. Make sure to do a test drive after the mobile ranger installs the Homelink module. DO NOT let them go until you have test driven your vehicle and returned back safely.
3. If you notice the coolant levels are below the NOM (Nominal) mark, ask the mobile ranger to top it off.
4. When your vehicle is on the tow bed, make sure to put it in Tow Mode. Otherwise the alarm will be triggered continuously.

Please click "Like" if you found this to be informative.

Attachments

• m01.jpg
    m01.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 128
  • m02.jpg
    m02.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 149
  • m03.jpg
    m03.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 129
  • m04.jpg
    m04.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 132
  • m05.jpg
    m05.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 137

Most gates are not rolling code. Were you able to get the car to recognize the remote as indicated by the headlight flash? Make sure the remote you're using has fresh batteries. You say it was set up - can you hear any noise / beeping from the gate receiver when you touch the gate button on the Homelink pop-up window. If you haven't set the gate to open automatically as you approach you will have to push the gate button on the Homelink pop-up. If it truly is rolling code you still have to go through the process to get the headlight to flash and then locate the "learn"button on the gate receiver and then follow the rolling code procedures.

Most gates are not rolling code. Were you able to get the car to recognize the remote as indicated by the headlight flash? Make sure the remote you're using has fresh batteries. You say it was set up - can you hear any noise / beeping from the gate receiver when you touch the gate button on the Homelink pop-up window. If you haven't set the gate to open automatically as you approach you will have to push the gate button on the Homelink pop-up. If it truly is rolling code you still have to go through the process to get the headlight to flash and then locate the "learn"button on the gate receiver and then follow the rolling code procedures.

Unfortunately no, the sub-divisions maintenance tech allowed me to look at the control panel and it doesn't have a "LEARN" button. I'm able to get the FOB to cause the lights to "flash" and set the GPS location but it does not complete the steps. I didn't try to manually open the gate by pressing the HomeLink button.

I'll try it again later today.

Cheers

Had my Homelink installed last Friday with no issues and the programming of both garage doors could not have been more simple. Only niggle is it seems it won't auto-close the door once pulling in or leaving the garage. I get pulling in as there isn't much room in the rear but don't understand once leaving the garage.

Had my Homelink installed last Friday with no issues and the programming of both garage doors could not have been more simple. Only niggle is it seems it won't auto-close the door once pulling in or leaving the garage. I get pulling in as there isn't much room in the rear but don't understand once leaving the garage.
I had same issue with door not closing automatically when leaving. But then like 2 days later it began working without me doing anything. I'm curious to see if yours will too. It works great now.