Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my MS for 4 months now. For the past few weeks Homelink only works intermittently. Meaning that it does not always open the garage door on the 1st try. I have to press repeatedly and it will eventually open. This use to work flawlessly. Anybody aware of recent software changes that broke this? Thanks

I have had my MS for 4 months now. For the past few weeks Homelink only works intermittently. Meaning that it does not always open the garage door on the 1st try. I have to press repeatedly and it will eventually open. This use to work flawlessly. Anybody aware of recent software changes that broke this? Thanks
Happens all the time to many, many people. Lots of threads on this topic. One or all three of the following will fix it:
1. Full reboot of the main screen (foot on the break, press both scroll wheels and don't let off on all three until you see the Tesla "T" on the screen.
2. Reset Homelink location.
3. Remove then re-link Homelink.

Reactions: cybergates and baw
Did that work for you? For 2 years, perfect Homelink behavior. The last 2 weeks have been about 40% success rate. I've rebooted the car, reset the location, but haven't deleted and re-learned yet since that's a bit of a pain. It works SOME times so I know the codes are programmed...

Anyone else? This has to be a bug in the software. Or is the Homelink not properly grounded or something like that?

Reactions: boonedocks
I've tried all 3 solutions mentioned above. Didn't fix it long term. I'm planning on calling and scheduling service to have them fix it as I'm tired of auto open not working, followed by manually pushing the garage open on the screen 6-10 times to get it to work.

I've noticed that auto close upon departure does not operate unless I manually open the door with Homelink before pulling out of the garage. Homelink auto open upon arrival works flawlessly for me when arriving home. However, I'm not sure I trust Homelink with Summons. I saw a video where a guy standing outside crashes through his closed garage door when using Summons because Homelink failed to open the garage door, and apparently, the car failed to sense or react appropriately to the closed door. Sure would like to understand how that could happen.

0CB863A6-6B2A-4855-A75F-024ED109AEA5.png
+3 to the above posts that it has worked flawless for months and recently has been less hit and more miss for auto opening/closing Even in front of the door it has taken several taps of the homelink button to activate the remote.

Bug report submitted:

Last edited:
I've noticed that auto close upon departure does not operate unless I manually open the door with Homelink before pulling out of the garage. Homelink auto open upon arrival works flawlessly for me when arriving home. However, I'm not sure I trust Homelink with Summons. I saw a video where a guy standing outside crashes through his closed garage door when using Summons because Homelink failed to open the garage door, and apparently, the car failed to sense or react appropriately to the closed door. Sure would like to understand how that could happen.
I'm staying away from auto-open. Homelink doesn't have an "up" or "down" signal. It just has a "go" signal. So it is very possible for it to get confused. The ultrasonics may not see a partially open door.

Just not worth the risk to me.

I've also had problems with regular open. Very inconsistent.

i am still having intermittent Homelink issues
One thing I've noticed is it tends to fail more often if I I'm leaving or entering garage at a faster speed.

I posted the following in a previous thread about the "trigger point adjustment" for homelink

-------------------------
The SC adjusted the "trigger time"
Per the invoice

Corrections: Homelink General Diagnosis

Adjusted trigger time for opening from two seconds to one. Cusotmer: Please advise whether issue is better or worse.