Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink is not working after MCU2 upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.
I have 2017 75D. A few months ago, I paid $1,650 to upgrade to MCU2. And I lost my home link function. Before replacing this, I had been using the home link function for nearly 5 years. To explain the situation, I came home after the replacement and tried to open the garage by pressing the home link button as usual. But it didn't open. I thought, maybe the hardware changed, and the profile disappeared, so I programmed it again. Naturally, I successfully finished programming and tried to open the garage door, but surely an animation that unfolds the shape of the antenna, such as sending a signal on the screen, is expressed normally. But the garage door doesn't wriggle. I went to the service center and inquired. Simply put, their conclusion is that there are separate modules that register the garage door opener and modules that actually sending a signal to the receiver to open the door. They said that they did not touch the module that signals to the receiver at all whiles upgrading to MCU2. The reason is that this module is not in MCU2 and is far away from other locations. I couldn't understand what they said, but I had no choice and accept their argument.

In summary, I have been using the home link well for nearly 5 years, but I lost the home link function after replacing it with MCU2. Annoyingly, the registration is successfully completed after dozens of attempts, but the function of sending radio signal seems to be blocked or not working.

Do you have any idea or suggestion?

Here is the order I'd try for fixing odd problems that most owners are not having:
1) Reboot (already done).
2) Reinstall the current software version (I have my doubts this will help, but not hard to do).
3) Try changing the software tire size (i.e. if you have 19" tires, go to 21" tires, then switch back to 19" tires) Tire size change causes a deeper reboot.
4) Factory reset.

Upvote 0
I did a reboot the very next day after picking up the car and still no changes. I have been also looking at a thread regarding the MCU2 upgrade that is addressing loss of Voice Commands functionality and Tune In app which will not load. Several posters report that putting the car in service mode and reinstalling the software will fix the issue without wiping out all settings. Although they seem to say that it takes a few days to work, which seems odd. I am considering giving one of these options a try as the Jacksonville (FL) SC is a nightmare - it is really, really backed up. It took 3 weeks for them to replace a "Pack Contactor" (error message: "Acceleration reduced/Performance may be restored on next drive") and install the MCU2 upgrade. All the while denying me a loaner and only reluctantly granting Uber credits after 2 weeks as my car is "out of warranty".

Which would you try first? Any ideas?

As I mentioned before, I like the idea of factory reset. Just make sure you take pictures of all settings shown on the touchscreen and a picture of your Instrument Cluster (IC) for your records. After Factory Reset, drive for at least a few minutes before reconfiguration. Reconfigure everything the way you like them.

If some icons or functions are missing just reboot and you may also need to wait for a day or so for everything to work (I know you find this to be odd, but there are activities that might be scheduled at the backend queue that would need your patience).

Upvote 0
As I mentioned before, I like the idea of factory reset. Just make sure you take pictures of all settings shown on the touchscreen and a picture of your Instrument Cluster (IC) for your records. After Factory Reset, drive for at least a few minutes before reconfiguration. Reconfigure everything the way you like them.

If some icons or functions are missing just reboot and you may also need to wait for a day or so for everything to work (I know you find this to be odd, but there are activities that might be scheduled at the backend queue that would need your patience).
Thank you - the car has premium connectivity and lifetime supercharging. Any way that a factory reset would cause problems with that?

Upvote 0
Now the Homelink module has changed over the years (mainly to support more garage door codes and frequencies). My guess is if you have a very early car, perhaps Homelink command codes have changed and MCU2 can't fully communicate with the old Homelink
Hi,

I just had the MCU of my 2014 TMS replaced this week, following the appearance of bubbles in the screen. (internal liquid leak in screen).

On the way back, the same, my garage door no longer opens. I try to restart, delete my homelink settings. After several attempts, I cannot reinstall it.

I sent a message to Tesla, they gave me a quote of €400 to install this: module, EU homelink (1020147-00-A).

They know that it is the replacement part but do not know if there is any added value.

Is this an upgrade? better signal? most garage doors are compatible?

Or, exactly the same as that of 2014?

someone would know ?

Thanks to this forum, I will try the factory reset. I let you know.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I just had the MCU of my 2014 TMS replaced this week, following the appearance of bubbles in the screen. (internal liquid leak in screen).

On the way back, the same, my garage door no longer opens. I try to restart, delete my homelink settings. After several attempts, I cannot reinstall it.

I sent a message to Tesla, they gave me a quote of €400 to install this: module, EU homelink (1020147-00-A).

They know that it is the replacement part but do not know if there is any added value.

Is this an upgrade? better signal? most garage doors are compatible?

Or, exactly the same as that of 2014?

someone would know ?

Thanks to this forum, I will try the factory reset. I let you know.

After my MCU2 upgrade, I did a factory reset (after writing down done all my settings) to start fresh with everything and I had none of the issues reported here with the things not working, including the HomeLink. Also, I remember my HomeLink icon was not showing up after the factory rest but after a reboot, it showed back after an hour or so and I could finally and successfully configure the garage door (with few attempts).

Upvote 0