Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink issue after 2022.44.25.1 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ron J.

MY LR, Blue-Bk, OD 9/30/21 - Delivered 5/26/22
Nov 20, 2021
Fort Myers, FL
After recently getting the 2022.44.25.1 firmware update the homelink pop-up menu no longer is shown when I pull my MY out of my garage. I can tap the Home icon at the top of the screen then the Homelink name and that (sometimes) will close my garage door. Really a nuisance as compared to having the pop-up close door button. I rebooted the info-entertainment system, but no difference.

Also, since the FW update the car is not immediately connecting to the internet via the MY's build-in mobile service as I'm getting a "no communications" message on the screen when I power up the car and it only goes away after I have driven a couple of minutes away from my house. Never had it do this before as it always connected immediately in my garage/driveway.

Last edited:
Yeah, so I did the update last night and jumped in the car this morning. As I leave the garage I can no longer find my home link button to close the garage door. WTF? The nice big ’close‘ button is no longer at the bottom left of the screen. (And my radio control banner is gone from the bottom of the map).
Dammit here we go again, Tesla is changing things for no good reason.
Finally I spot a little tiny homelink icon at the top of screen with an even tiny-er close button. WTF !
I’ve been sitting in my driveway, stumped.

I get going, and now notice my radio banner is moved to the bottom of the visualization screen, where it can’t be seem with my hands on the steering wheel. Absolute crap. I’m really getting sick of this sh!t.

now the driving visualization is useless to see traffic in your blind spot, because it’s blocked by the radio banner that shouldn’t be there.

Yeah, the Homelink change sucks! Tesla really needs to run these changes by a focus group before publishing them. I have a driveway gate in addition to the garage door and it is a pain now to close things as I leave. I wish you could designate what button appears at the top of the screen as it appears to be whatever was used last stays there. I liked what we had before. I wish they had just made the opener buttons a card along with the odometer and tire pressure displays. That way you can just swipe to that card and open your gate/door. This type of change is what makes Tesla software engineering look rinky-dink. Do they really think no one would notice this? Funny thing it wasn't in any of the release notes I read, again making this whole update process look poorly managed. Anyone who does software development knows this is not how you manage this.

Reactions: SDRick and Fourdoor
My Tesla got another FW update yesterday 2022.44.25.3. To close garage door the user must press Home icon at top center of screen then press Activate for homelink. It works, but it's not convenient.
You can actually press the activate button on the top, next to the home icon. I've never pressed the home icon to close the garage. This update is more disappointing than anything, we just have to keep complaining and they will implement it back.

Reactions: BnGrm
Wow I search this is so annoying Tesla should have left it bottom corner or give us the option which three icons pops up bottom left corner

I under and I like the media button but I would prefer the garage over media anyday

Hope someone from Tesla reading give the owner the options what they want to see bottom left corner please

Y’all got your precious cards back and still complaining lol.

The return of ’cards’ is totally screwed up because they linked them to the audio banner and created another unwanted icon in the dock ! How stupid is that? Audio banner should be put back on the audio pull down and collapsible to just the banner.
’cards’ should be indicated by just the little dots, letting you know something is there. ‘cards’ should only be temporary and pop up items that we’re there before.

Put the radio back like it was !!
Put the garage door opener back like it was.
Give us cards that are swipe-able and indicated with nothing more that dots !

The whole display looks like a hodge-podge of crap now with the driving visualizer blocked with the radio banner,
the dock with another unnecessary icon, a huge map screen that’s wasted when we’re not navigating, and a split nav pull down when we are navigating. The whole thing is so F-ed up now.

Constant stupid changes really detract from the ownership of this car !

I agree that the new homelink location and radio banner are a major step back. Everytime I back out of my garage now I have to press the tiny homelink icon and hit the close button. Very frustrating. Put it back where it was!

The new auto blinker cancel works awesome, though. Typical Tesla. One step forward and two steps back. 😡

Reactions: saj070
After recently getting the 2022.44.25.1 firmware update the homelink pop-up menu no longer is shown when I pull my MY out of my garage. I can tap the Home icon at the top of the screen then the Homelink name and that (sometimes) will close my garage door. Really a nuisance as compared to having the pop-up close door button. I rebooted the info-entertainment system, but no difference.

Also, since the FW update the car is not immediately connecting to the internet via the MY's build-in mobile service as I'm getting a "no communications" message on the screen when I power up the car and it only goes away after I have driven a couple of minutes away from my house. Never had it do this before as it always connected immediately in my garage/driveway.
My garage door automatically closes when I leave and opens when I arrive home. However, when I get in the car to leave there is no longer a "button" to push to open the garage door. Where did it go?

My garage door automatically closes when I leave and opens when I arrive home. However, when I get in the car to leave there is no longer a "button" to push to open the garage door. Where did it go?
HomeLink_button.jpg

Do you not have the "Activate" button at the top of the screen? This car is on 2022.44.25.2.

Okay, having lived with this for a while I have to say this just doesn't work for anyone who has multiple openers to engage to go in or out. I have a driveway gate in addition to garage doors and that requires me to select the Homelink icon almost every time to active the opener. I would almost prefer the old buttons labeled Activate with the tiny actual labels underneath compared to this debacle. The least they could do is make the buttons a bit wider so it is harder to hit the Activate versus the Homelink button. This is almost a safety issue.

Tesla has to test these changes with real owners before they make them. Do their interface engineers own Teslas and live with these changes? They should be made to actually use the changes they design for a few weeks before they are pushed out to the public.

If anyone from Tesla actually reads this forum, please change this. It was a bad design and needs to be backed out!😫

How about this for an idea.... can we make presenting the entire Homelink menu (the drop down we get when we push the Homelink icon) appear automatically based on location? So as you pull into your driveway it would drop down automatically, just like the automatic, location specific opener works. It could be an option on the location specific opener stuff. Add a check box to invoke the full menu. Oh and one more idea, make the opener that appears on the top of the center display selectable in the Homelink configuration as opposed to defaulting to the last opener used.

Last edited:
This home link control changes really inconvenient, especially for multiple garage doors, how we can provide the feedback to Tesla ?
I've given up on trying to contact Tesla directly. I've attempted to do that on other issues and some of the shortfalls I had with my buying process, which for the most part have gone unanswered. My interpretation is that Tesla is not focused on what the customer thinks at this time but is more focused on getting product out. This would explain their lack of real concern on quality control over the last many years. As long as they can sell cars they aren't going to worry too much about making us happy. I've never heard of them doing focus groups or getting real feedback from customers. My only hope is that maybe someone from Tesla reads forums like this occasionally.