Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink issue: Auto open and close stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only had my Model S for about 4 weeks. I was easily able to set up the Homelink app to open and close my garage door. I am only using it for one of my garage doors since I always use the same garage bay.

Until today, my auto open and close would work fine. Within my set distance of 20 feet, the garage door would automatically close when leaving and open when pulling in and within 20 ft of the garage door.

Now it simply does not work. I can still use the Homelink icon with my name to open and close but no auto open and close anymore and I quite liked that option!

I did reprogram my Homelink app and it still works great when I tap the Homelink icon and my name but no auto open and close.

Any suggestions?

A GPS issue? Do your Maps show the car in the right place? Just a theory.
Yes. It does show my car in the correct place.
I called Tesla today, I was so tired of screwing with this and the customer service person I spoke with advised me to "reboot" the touchscreen. THEN, I backed out of the garage and went to the END of the driveway, at the street. The garage door did NOT automatically close.
So, I backed up and shut the garage door with the Homelink button.
Then I entered the street, right in front of my home and re-entered the drive way.....the garage door did NOT open.
At that point, the person on the phone said that maybe the car was remembering the "location" and I needed to drive AWAY. So I went back out the driveway and down the street, about 1/2 mile. When I returned to the driveway, at THAT point, the door OPENED!
I guess I just needed to reboot the touchscreen.....and drive farther than the end of my driveway.
We'll SEE!

Reactions: gg_got_a_tesla
Did you confirm that Auto Homelink is still set to On for both Open and Close?
And as @gg_got_a_tesla stated, as part of your reset procedure, parking as close to your garage door as possible resets the location/GPS data. Keep us posted...

Yes, I did!
I called Tesla today, I was so tired of screwing with this and the customer service person I spoke with advised me to "reboot" the touchscreen. THEN, I backed out of the garage and went to the END of the driveway, at the street. The garage door did NOT automatically close.
So, I backed up and shut the garage door with the Homelink button.
Then I entered the street, right in front of my home and re-entered the drive way.....the garage door did NOT open.
At that point, the person on the phone said that maybe the car was remembering the "location" and I needed to drive AWAY. So I went back out the driveway and down the street, about 1/2 mile. When I returned to the driveway, at THAT point, the door OPENED!
I guess I just needed to reboot the touchscreen.....and drive farther than the end of my driveway.
Thank you for your response!

Did you confirm that Auto Homelink is still set to On for both Open and Close?
And as @gg_got_a_tesla stated, as part of your reset procedure, parking as close to your garage door as possible resets the location/GPS data. Keep us posted...
Sure did! It worked for a week when I first got my car but stopped working on the auto close/open yesterday. I called Tesla, rebooted and it now works. Thank you!

Reactions: Doanster1
My auto open was working but auto close quit and then today it started working again. There is clearly some kind of a software bug they need to find and fix.
Hmmmmm, that is certainly interesting! Thank you for your response! What a weird thing to happen. I have only had my Tesla for 4 weeks so I have nothing, absolutely NOTHING to go by, as for experience with this kind of thing happening. I appreciate your input! Mine is working again now too.......So weird!!!

Hi, I encountered the same problem with my MS after it was working perfectly for several months. When I did the last update (18.10.4) my car behaviour changed and a few things are not as before.

First the auto-open on homelink stopped working. I tried to reset the system and it started working but in my next use I had the same problem! I reset again, it worked and then in next trip the same issue. Homelink works manually only. The navigation and car position are all fine.

I have other issues after this last updated. For example Spotify keeps crashing and being signed out or cannot download musics or regenerative brakes are not as effective as before in downhill and the car builds up speed whereas before I could control speed of my car in downhill without using brakes.

The navigation map also seems to be slow in downloading maps while the sar is moving especially when the map is auto zooming in or out.

I have only had my Model S for about 4 weeks. I was easily able to set up the Homelink app to open and close my garage door. I am only using it for one of my garage doors since I always use the same garage bay.

Until today, my auto open and close would work fine. Within my set distance of 20 feet, the garage door would automatically close when leaving and open when pulling in and within 20 ft of the garage door.

Now it simply does not work. I can still use the Homelink icon with my name to open and close but no auto open and close anymore and I quite liked that option!

I did reprogram my Homelink app and it still works great when I tap the Homelink icon and my name but no auto open and close.

Any suggestions?
Thank you for posting, I have the same problem with my MS that I've had for 4 weeks. I just rebooted my screen and hope it works for me as it did for you.

It seems that Auto Open always tries to work but actually opens the door only if the distance trigger is set to 30 ft or less. At 40 ft or more, it transmits automatically, but the door goes up 6 inches and stops. I cannot reproduce that behavior with the opener's remote. I can't figure out what's causing this bizarre malfunction, but it's nothing new. It's been that way from day 1.
Has anyone seen this and found a solution?

@milleron I am not sure how you have setup your Home link but it is worth recalibrating it. Basically take your car in front of the garage door from outside (not inside the garage) and try to reset the location. The distance from where the home link triggers the signal is adjustable from homelink page. 40 ft might be too far for signals to reach the garage sensor but it is good to give you a message on the console asking if you want the homelink to be triggered or not. Sometimes you drive home but you want to park outside. The other thing I can think of is something might interfere with your signals from long distance (over 40 ft) like a bend in drive way or different elevations etc...

After one of the recent updates I had similar problem with homelink being triggered at any distance from garage door and I read somewhere by resetting the consle this problem goes away. I tried it and it worked but only for a short period of time and the problem occurred again so I did a reset of the location in front of the garage door and since then I have no problem at all. Perhaps you like to try that.

Cheers

It seems that Auto Open always tries to work but actually opens the door only if the distance trigger is set to 30 ft or less. At 40 ft or more, it transmits automatically, but the door goes up 6 inches and stops. I cannot reproduce that behavior with the opener's remote. I can't figure out what's causing this bizarre malfunction, but it's nothing new. It's been that way from day 1.
Has anyone seen this and found a solution?

Go to the circuit breaker in your house and power cycle the garage door opener ... then see if it works.

My Homelink issues started with 8.1 and now my gate will not auto open (only when leaving my house). I believe they messed up something with the geofencing when adding the distance setting. Made a video, service was out and I've finally escalated it to a "executive" review .... holding breath.

@Farzinfar
Thanks for the input. I've never gone through re-pairing the Homelink, but I've done what you suggest several times. No joy.

@steve841
I'll try power cycling the opener; I've never done that. Any particular reason why that might work?

The reason I'd really like to get this working automatically is because I find it surprisingly difficult to reach over and accurately tap the tiny Homelink area on the touchscreen while the car is moving. (It's a maneuver that would probably be easier on an up-close Model 3 screen.) If there's no solution to this problem with the next firmware upgrade, I'll start carrying the opener's dedicated remote in the car, something I've not been forced to do since the turn of the century. I wish Tesla didn't have an ideological aversion to mechanical buttons.

It took me a while to realise that Homelink on the Tesla appears to be geared up to driving forwards into a garage and backing out. My garage is at the end of a narrow lane, that leads directly onto a busy road, so I choose to reverse into the garage and drive out forwards. However, I found that, regardless of position, auto-open won't work until I switch from "Reverse" to "Drive".