Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink issue with folding mirrors.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Homelink in my M3 and never had a problem. Seems I’m having trouble configuring this in my MY. First the mirrors. Initially the box was not checked to fold the mirrors so I did check the box to try it out. I don’t like it though because when I back out of the garage the mirrors stay folded until I’m well out in the street so I can’t use them to assist me in backing up. I went back into the configuration and unchecked the box but the software is still folding my mirrors when I pull into the garage. When I change the configuration, there is no, “Save” setting. I just thought I would uncheck the box and then close the window. When I go back into the software the box is not checked which is correct but it is still folding the mirrors nonetheless.

The other issue which I never had a problem with on the M3, is that when I’m backing out of the garage, the reverse camera is on which is fine but it’s blocking the homelink icon. Why does that matter? Because even though I have the box checked for the software to close the garage doors when leaving, it doesn’t do it. This forces me to use the icon to shut the garage but since it’s hiding behind the reverse camera I first have to close that window before I can access the icon. Suggestions?

personally I only use -
Mirror Auto Fold
Both exterior mirrors can automatically fold inward whenever you exit and lock Model Y. When you unlock Model Y, the exterior mirrors then automatically unfold.

To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Quick Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Fold.

As for Homelink auto close.
I think you need to adjust the distance. there will be a count-down message and chime when the garage is closing.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I had Homelink in my M3 and never had a problem. Seems I’m having trouble configuring this in my MY. First the mirrors. Initially the box was not checked to fold the mirrors so I did check the box to try it out. I don’t like it though because when I back out of the garage the mirrors stay folded until I’m well out in the street so I can’t use them to assist me in backing up. I went back into the configuration and unchecked the box but the software is still folding my mirrors when I pull into the garage. When I change the configuration, there is no, “Save” setting. I just thought I would uncheck the box and then close the window. When I go back into the software the box is not checked which is correct but it is still folding the mirrors nonetheless.

The other issue which I never had a problem with on the M3, is that when I’m backing out of the garage, the reverse camera is on which is fine but it’s blocking the homelink icon. Why does that matter? Because even though I have the box checked for the software to close the garage doors when leaving, it doesn’t do it. This forces me to use the icon to shut the garage but since it’s hiding behind the reverse camera I first have to close that window before I can access the icon. Suggestions?
I think the auto-fold setting has a redundancy: you can access it through both the mirror control screen and the Homelink setup screen. You might want to try undoing both. I had a similar concern because I always back into the garage and was used to relying on the mirrors, but now I just use the side camera views on the screen instead.

Have you tried using a voice command to close the door while in reverse?

Crazy stuff. So yes, I have tried distances ranging from 10-30 feet and there is no difference at all. I will LNL suggestion next which is to turn both mirrors off to see if it may reset it. There’s clearly a conflict because when I manually go in a quick controls and unfold the mirrors, they immediately fold again while in the garage so it must still be getting directions from Homelink. I may have to find some Homelink programming instructions and redo it. I had Tesla come out to the house to install it but they left me no instructions. They must be online.