Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently backing into the garage the door contacted the rear hatch and put quite a bit of damage luckily the window was not hurt. My wife has had a similar issue where the door starts down while getting into the garage. My question is has anybody else experienced this issue? If so how do I fix it? Is there an adjustment that I'm unaware of? Also I had a non-tesla shop look at it and wanted $500 to fill it and another higher-end shop wanting $1,800 to totally repair it.. Not sure if the cheaper repair well turn out satisfactory or not. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20201217_172157.jpg
    20201217_172157.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201217_172152.jpg
    20201217_172152.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 65
yikes! While I havent had the issue, ive personally found the option to auto-activate the garage door to be more risk/annoyance than reward, so I've disabled that part on both of ours.

Are you planning to pay out of pocket or through insurance? I recently had a slight issue with my front bumper cover (hit a rolling bucket on the highway) and State Farm was insistent on using a "authorized Tesla body/repair shop" or the Tesla Service Center themselves.

also, to the original poster. Realizing its too late now, but for future reference, that appeared to be a fair amount of force from the garage door motor to do that much damage. I would have expected the garage door to have reversed upon the first/initial amount of force. May wish to adjust the setting on the garage door opener that will auto reverse when it hits something. In fact, going to check mine shortly and test.

Ouch! That hurts me to look at. Glad to hear there were no injuries. I have mine set to NOT auto-close as I arrive. You never know how accurate it will be on the closing part. Anyways, as others have said, I'd make sure your garage door sensors are in working order first. It seems like that should be your first priority.

As for the $500 repair, that just means they're gonna pull the dent just enough so that they can put bondo/body filler, aka "mud" to "shape" the damaged area. Even if you have a high-deductible with your insurance, I'd go the replacement route. Bondo'ed repairs have a tendency to be not as glossy/shiny unless they put a ton of time blocking and sealing, which for $500, is NOT going to happen.

Last edited:
yikes! While I havent had the issue, ive personally found the option to auto-activate the garage door to be more risk/annoyance than reward, so I've disabled that part on both of ours.

Are you planning to pay out of pocket or through insurance? I recently had a slight issue with my front bumper cover (hit a rolling bucket on the highway) and State Farm was insistent on using a "authorized Tesla body/repair shop" or the Tesla Service Center themselves.
I'm going to pay out of pocket.

also, to the original poster. Realizing its too late now, but for future reference, that appeared to be a fair amount of force from the garage door motor to do that much damage. I would have expected the garage door to have reversed upon the first/initial amount of force. May wish to adjust the setting on the garage door opener that will auto reverse when it hits something. In fact, going to check mine shortly and test.
Thanks, I'll check it out. However, it happened backing into the garage. The car ran into the door as it was coming down right at the area where a spoiler would be. So it backed into the door more than coming down on it. I think that is why it didn't go up until I pulled forward. It was kind of caught in a bind. Thanks again for the heads up.

The two functions I depend on, close door after I back out and open door as I come home, always work. However if I am in the garage, door closed, and want to back out, the car does not seem to realize it should open the door. It should realize that when I put the car in reverse the door is closed and initiate a signal. Does it do that for anyone else? Is it a bug or just an unimplemented feature?

The two functions I depend on, close door after I back out and open door as I come home, always work. However if I am in the garage, door closed, and want to back out, the car does not seem to realize it should open the door. It should realize that when I put the car in reverse the door is closed and initiate a signal. Does it do that for anyone else? Is it a bug or just an unimplemented feature?
I've never heard of that option.

I’m disappointed in the ridiculously expensive Homelink I paid for. The automatic opening on arrival rarely works. I usually have to press it once or twice to get it to open. I’m not sure what’s wrong. I’ve tried varying the distances, turning on and off options. Nothing makes it as good as the ones built in to literally ever other car built in the last 20 years.

I’m disappointed in the ridiculously expensive Homelink I paid for. The automatic opening on arrival rarely works. I usually have to press it once or twice to get it to open. I’m not sure what’s wrong. I’ve tried varying the distances, turning on and off options. Nothing makes it as good as the ones built in to literally ever other car built in the last 20 years.
Can you call mobile service out to reinstall the software?

Reactions: patnshan
Check that your garage door opener receiver antenna is unobstructed. Mine was coiled up and once I straightened it out, never any issues.

Reactions: patnshan