Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink issues…ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my wife and I first got Homelink installed on our Model 3s, it worked perfectly. We’d drive up our long driveway and about 70-100 feet before we’d get to the garage - it would open. This was about 2-3 months ago.

Now - for both cars - the garage door often times won’t open unless the front of the car is literally right at the door. This has been happening the last week or two. I normally back in and yesterday it would’nt open the door even though my rear was nearly touching the door.

It seemed to happen to both cars at the same time which is weird, but makes me think its the opener itself? TBH, we don’t have any working remotes either because I use MyQ for the last few years so I can’t test that either. Its just the HomeLink and MyQ and the hard wired openers inside.

Would love some ideas. I suppose its possible its a simultaneous Tesla problem…but before I go ask Tesla service, posting here!

At some point I might have…but I think that was a few months ago

I had issues when I replaced the bulbs in my garage door opener with LEDs similar to what you mention (a reduction in range). I did some research and found out that some LED bulbs had some kind of interference that could impact things like garage door openers. I even found specific LED bulbs that said they didnt have such interference. I bought those and my issue went away.

of course, YMMV, and it may not be relevant to you at all.

The ones I ordered were these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077TFHR9G/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got them in late 2018, so dont know if there is a newer version, etc, but my problem went away.

Homelink is very directional.the front of the car must be pointed at the entrance. If you have a metal garage door, that also affects range.
Yes, but it used to work even front of the car being 10-20 feet away. Last couple weeks I’d have to have the front almost touching the garage door itself before it would work. Very strange. I’m going to look at the LED part.

Eh, I haven’t actually expended any effort beyond writing this post - yet 🤪 Eventually it’ll bug me enough that I’ll do something, but this thread has helped me at least know where to focus my energies when that happends.

And actually - the button doesn’t work at all in the situations listed. Its not about “auto” garage door/open. Its the homelink working at all if the front of the car isn’t pointing at the garage door (and in some cases even then). I’m pretty certain its the LED lights at this point.

Check for the little antenna wire hanging down from the unit. Maybe it got yanked out or melted against the bulb. Pics? Also, if you're going to end up reprogramming it at some point during troubleshooting, you might (?) need to find one of your working remotes.

The receiver in the opener is going bad.
I have a similar problem and thought it was my LED lights. Eventually my opener would not recognise any of my cars or remotes if the opener lights were on. Even after I removed the lights the problem was still there.

Instead of buying new opener for $450+, I bought a LiftMaster 850LM Universal Gate and Garage Door Opener Receiver for ~$50 and my range is better than it's ever been.