Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOMELINK Mobile Service Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been contemplating the Homelink purchase for my 2019 M3 (June build). I read a few owners posts their experiences and describing a service center or mobile service based install--depending on your location. Now I live in Alabama so I fall into the mobile service category and today noticed the option for the Homelink installation now requires a service center visit in Georgia. Can confirm the Homelink mobile service install is no longer available for those in mobile service areas? Just want to verify if this holds true for all or is this just for specific areas.

...Now...

I think the language that mentions about shipping to your preferred Service Center to have it installed over there has always been there.

Service Center usually does not want to do things that can be done by Mobile Service such as HomeLink.

If a Service Center does not have a Mobile Service then it has no choice but to have you coming into its shop.

So, you might want to check with your "preferred Service Center" to see how they deal with HomeLink.

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm getting Homelink installed tomorrow morning via Mobile Service at my home.

I've heard from friends and read threads saying it is an involved installation process. The tech said it is fairly simple and best done on a mobile visit. I'll believe it when I see it and report back.

Mobile tech came towards the beginning of the appointment window and checked via his laptop to see if Homelink hardware was already installed as it would be simple to enable. It wasn't already there so he had to remove the bumper, install the module, replace the bumper. The whole visit was less than an hour. He said it might take a couple days for the Homelink icon to show up. He pushed a firmware update to the car and after that completed, the Homelink button was visible and it works!

I'm very impressed with the Mobile Service!

I've been contemplating the Homelink purchase for my 2019 M3 (June build). I read a few owners posts their experiences and describing a service center or mobile service based install--depending on your location. Now I live in Alabama so I fall into the mobile service category and today noticed the option for the Homelink installation now requires a service center visit in Georgia. Can confirm the Homelink mobile service install is no longer available for those in mobile service areas? Just want to verify if this holds true for all or is this just for specific areas.
Why would you need Homelink when a garage door opener comes already in the car??

An opener comes in the car? Can you explain?
One the top right of the screen there is a green icon of a "house". Homelink2.jpg Open it and follow prompts.

Floor mats??? They don't come with the car??? That's ridiculous.

Nope. I was kinda irked about that. I’ve always purchased WeatherTech floor mats but of course Tesla has some weird deal with WeatherTech that the laser 3D amaze balls mats aren’t available, on Frunk or Trunk mats. It’s been an interesting car buying/owning experience so far for sure.

A. The floormats are a joke. Absolutely discard able.

But my question is how much does home link cost? And does ALL it do is open and close the garage door? Surely there is more right?
It's supposed to automatically open and close the door as you arrive and leave. You can also program other remotes, if you have a security gate for your complex or at work, for example. Personally, I think it costs about twice what it should, but I'm thinking about getting it anyway. The cheap remote that came with the opener rattles, and the reception isn't that great from inside the car.

It's supposed to automatically open and close the door as you arrive and leave. You can also program other remotes, if you have a security gate for your complex or at work, for example. Personally, I think it costs about twice what it should, but I'm thinking about getting it anyway. The cheap remote that came with the opener rattles, and the reception isn't that great from inside the car.
How much is it?

Velcro is your friend. Stick your traditional garage door opener in a stealthy & handy location. Low tech, inexpensive solution. Also provides a layer of security by allowing you to remove the opener if you choose, so if your car is ever stolen and navigates to your residence, the garage door doesn't open and welcome the thief home.

All good.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: bigroo42
Yeah, very much so. Tesla figures it more efficient and profitable to charge you for install after the fact. Kinda like floor mats... it’s all about the bottom line for Shareholders these days.

I will bet my anything that Tesla doesn’t not make money on these post delivery homelinks on a post service visit basis. Can you imagine the cost of even getting someone out of bed to show up in California?

There’s only a single reason why Tesla would possibly do these to cause so much inconvenience on owners and load on their service:

Homelink purchases are a small enough set of packages that it was cheaper for Tesla to have it not installed for everyone versus installed for everyone as a default. This will reduce the COG on each Model 3.

Now why they don’t just negotiate payments for software unlocks and pay Homelink once that happens but I can only speculate.

I’m so sick of Tesla’s *sugar* that I am thinking of just marching in and tell them I’m their new VP of common sense.

But I’d probably be told to F off because

1.) My expertise is not in batteries or autonomy.
2.) It seems everyone is afraid of Elon. No explanation for the continued ball drops in certain areas otherwise.
2a.) Would insist on discussing and shaping policy versus hearing about what the policy is over Twitter.

Last edited: