Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink module: garage door closed on the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have Tesla homelink installed on the Y and until today has been working just fine. I have auto close enabled (at 40ft) but not auto open. Today I was pulling out of the garage and my wife wanted to talk to me. I was half way out of the garage and put the car in park. And as soon as the car was in park the garage door started closing on the car. The door touched the car and went back, and it looks like no damage and everything is ok. But the question is why did the car think it needed to send homelink signal? It must have somehow thought I have come back home and the garage needs to be opened (and homelink system is a toggle system and unaware of door open/close status). Has anyone experience phantom garage door close event with the homelink module? For now I have turned off homelink auto open and hopefully the issue will not re-occur.

Shoot now I have to think about raising mine. I think its high enough for my MYP but I had a very close encounter with auto open and summon (where the garage door was already open) where it initiated an open after it backed up a little bit. Enough for the garage door to smack the spoiler if I didn’t get in and block it with my hands (lol, instinct). Disabled Summon’s auto open feature after that.

I wonder if at some point they won't be able to use the camera for the auto open and close feature. The camera can add an extra safety check that the way is clear and can determine if the door even needs to be open or closed.

I wonder if at some point they won't be able to use the camera for the auto open and close feature. The camera can add an extra safety check that the way is clear and can determine if the door even needs to be open or closed.
I think that it may happen someday. The refreshed Model S & X already do this with predictive gear selection...knowing if you need to be in reverse to back out of a parking space for example.

I'm hoping someday that Homelink will integrate with FSD auto parking in your own garage so that it'll open and close your garage door automatically when it parks or needs to leave.

I had an unexpected garage-door-close event early in my Model 3’s ownership, purchased 07/2018. I caught it in time so no damage. But to prevent that from ever happening again, I looked to the garage door safety sensors mounted near the floor. My initial thought was to raise them but manufacturers are pretty clear in how they should be installed. So instead of just raising the existing ones, I added a second set of sensors (about $30 at home improvement stores) at the height equal to the front most part of the car. Works very well.

I had an unexpected garage-door-close event early in my Model 3’s ownership, purchased 07/2018. I caught it in time so no damage. But to prevent that from ever happening again, I looked to the garage door safety sensors mounted near the floor. My initial thought was to raise them but manufacturers are pretty clear in how they should be installed. So instead of just raising the existing ones, I added a second set of sensors (about $30 at home improvement stores) at the height equal to the front most part of the car. Works very well.
I live in a condo and that's what they are using on the garage door... Sensors on the bottom of the door. Its almost impossible for the door to hit the car. Auto open is the only option i use since the garage door close automatically.

Wow, if only the car had cameras that could see forward and rearward to use AI to verify the garage door was closed or open before triggering it…. Tesla, do this and go ahead and patent the idea. I give it to you. Just please STOP trying to close my door on the car while backing out!

I have Tesla homelink installed on the Y and until today has been working just fine. I have auto close enabled (at 40ft) but not auto open. Today I was pulling out of the garage and my wife wanted to talk to me. I was half way out of the garage and put the car in park. And as soon as the car was in park the garage door started closing on the car. The door touched the car and went back, and it looks like no damage and everything is ok. But the question is why did the car think it needed to send homelink signal? It must have somehow thought I have come back home and the garage needs to be opened (and homelink system is a toggle system and unaware of door open/close status). Has anyone experience phantom garage door close event with the homelink module? For now I have turned off homelink auto open and hopefully the issue will not re-occur.
Had this exact thing happen to me yesterday but my model 3 wasn’t as lucky as your Y

Attachments

• D1CF1ECB-A71B-4B28-991B-9420F69CF492.jpeg
    D1CF1ECB-A71B-4B28-991B-9420F69CF492.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 228
  • 11AA6E0F-00FB-49B6-BC8A-5D875307D996.jpeg
    11AA6E0F-00FB-49B6-BC8A-5D875307D996.jpeg
    564 KB · Views: 146
  • A4936000-1E46-4A2D-9136-8340F122FD2B.jpeg
    A4936000-1E46-4A2D-9136-8340F122FD2B.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 152
You need to make sure the garage door sensors are working. MY's ground clearance is about 6.6", so raise that sensor to 8-10" will prevent any of those event (assuming your garage sensors are in working order).
I paid $300 plus for this, so I can fully utilize auto open/close. if you don't use these features, you just wasted $300 plus for nothing.

Reactions: Fromlos and Pied
You need to make sure the garage door sensors are working. MY's ground clearance is about 6.6", so raise that sensor to 8-10" will prevent any of those event (assuming your garage sensors are in working order).
I paid $300 plus for this, so I can fully utilize auto open/close. if you don't use these features, you just wasted $300 plus for nothing.
Thanks , I turned off auto open and close

Had this exact thing happen to me yesterday but my model 3 wasn’t as lucky as your Y
DAMN! Sadly I'm happy to see your tesla (which can be replaced) got damaged and no one like a kid got KILLED by that door. I would SERIOUSLY seek out the person who installed your door OR last did Preventive Maintenace to the door. whoever installed this door did not do the job correctly. You ACTUALLY have a lawsuit on your hand for repair of all damages to the door and car do to the object PRESSURE detection not working! garage doors have 2 object detections, the beam and pressure! This doors pressure was not set or set to high!