Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Module installation and programming (2021 MYP)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello all! Found some older Homelink threads/posts, but I'm left wondering what the current status/policy is, re Homelink installation. My Model S Plaid came with the module installed and programmed into the UI - ready for configuration. In 2019, I had to order the Homelink module - which was shipped to the SC. Mobile service installed it at my home for free (policy then). Fast forward to today - The 2021 MYP DOES NOT come from the factory with Homelink installed; not even an ordering option. So, you have to order it and it now delivers to you directly.... So, the question is, can you install it yourself and get the SC to push the UI update to the car? If not, will mobile service install it for free as was the case with my 2019 M3? What a PITA this is, let me tell ya....

I was a little peeved that Homelink was not included with the car. I ordered it from Tesla's website and it shipped fairly quick. When it arrived, the box had warning stickers/labels on it that said if I opened the box, Tesla would refuse to install it. I thought it was a bit ridiculous, but I scheduled the install anyways through the app. Tesla sent a tech to my house and installed/configured it for free.

Hello all! Found some older Homelink threads/posts, but I'm left wondering what the current status/policy is, re Homelink installation. My Model S Plaid came with the module installed and programmed into the UI - ready for configuration. In 2019, I had to order the Homelink module - which was shipped to the SC. Mobile service installed it at my home for free (policy then). Fast forward to today - The 2021 MYP DOES NOT come from the factory with Homelink installed; not even an ordering option. So, you have to order it and it now delivers to you directly.... So, the question is, can you install it yourself and get the SC to push the UI update to the car? If not, will mobile service install it for free as was the case with my 2019 M3? What a PITA this is, let me tell ya....

Yeah, I was surprised to see this feature missing on my MYP.

The price ordered online includes install and programing. You set up an appointment in the app and include the order # and then a mobile tech will come out and install. I have mine already, just waiting for the car. When I get my vin, I'm going to ask to see if I can bring the box in the day of delivery and see if the service center can install and program instead of having to wait.

The price ordered online includes install and programing. You set up an appointment in the app and include the order # and then a mobile tech will come out and install. I have mine already, just waiting for the car. When I get my vin, I'm going to ask to see if I can bring the box in the day of delivery and see if the service center can install and program instead of having to wait.
Same. Just waiting for the car…

You may be able to convince a mobile service tech to do the software side of things on the down low, and you can grab a module on eBay for $100-$150. I asked a tech if he would "hypothetically" enable homelink if I "hypothetically" bought a used module and installed it my self. Hoping to get him back out in a week or so now that I have the module installed. Plan on slipping him a small tip, so my total would be $120 vs the $350 or what ever Tesla charges.

Looks like there's a 100537100 (rev A and rev B) with a 4 pin connector and this was maybe superseded by 111498400 (rev A and rev B) with a 5 pin connector

. . . and make sure you get the bracket too!

This is funny - (why do people do this?) someone is selling a 100537100A for $450

I got my Homelink module installed today by Tesla mobile service, who came out to my work address to do the install. I had the module before the car arrived. Car was delivered on 9/1 and Homelink installed on 9/7.

I saw a guy on Youtube saying that a technician told him Tesla decided to not include Homelink as a build option because it's not used enough in general and it costs them more to have it as an order option compared to sending out mobile service to do the install. Not sure how true this is, but I would have been fine if the car was $350 more and had Homelink as standard equipment. I can't imagine there being too many people who would not buy a Model Y because of the extra $350.

Anyway, hopefully it works as well in practice as it seems to in theory.

I got my Homelink module installed today by Tesla mobile service, who came out to my work address to do the install. I had the module before the car arrived. Car was delivered on 9/1 and Homelink installed on 9/7.

I saw a guy on Youtube saying that a technician told him Tesla decided to not include Homelink as a build option because it's not used enough in general and it costs them more to have it as an order option compared to sending out mobile service to do the install. Not sure how true this is, but I would have been fine if the car was $350 more and had Homelink as standard equipment. I can't imagine there being too many people who would not buy a Model Y because of the extra $350.

Anyway, hopefully it works as well in practice as it seems to in theory.
@gx9901 How did they install it? Did the pull the front bumper, go thru the drivers side wheel well, through the frunk, other?

@gx9901 How did they install it? Did the pull the front bumper, go thru the drivers side wheel well, through the frunk, other?
I didn't watch the technician installing it, but I did see him pull some trim pieces out from the frunk to install the module through my office window. He didn't do anything with the bumper or wheel wells. I think it took him under 10 minutes to complete the install.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
You will still need Tesla to have a tech enable the software via a laptop interface with the car...
Yes I know you need the tech to activate. Although I’ve seen one poster said after connection the homelink automatically showed up on the screen so maybe YEMV.

My question is which homelink works for a 2021 Y, a 4 pin or a 5 pin?

Yes I know you need the tech to activate. Although I’ve seen one poster said after connection the homelink automatically showed up on the screen so maybe YEMV.

I don't recall. I do recall some SCs will not activate a module that was installed or even opened. My module came in a box from Tesla with a warning label on the box not to open it! Yeah, it really did. That was two months ago.

This is the HL Module that works, by my experience, on:
2018 Model 3
2019 Model X
2020 Model Y
2021 Model Y

I have moved this module around these models and it works. 5 pin btw, and see part number....
20200319_154256_8304.JPG
20200319_123828_8280.JPG

Reactions: N2B8