Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink module installed by Tesla Mobile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my M3P a week ago and will be getting a lot of mods done to it over the next couple of months (winter here in Michigan). The Homelink module is not part of the latest Model 3 builds, nor an option at time of purchase despite it being on Model 3s for the first few years. So, after purchasing the module from Tesla, then looking for installation instructions, I quickly realized that Tesla needed to do put this in as I did not know where to disconnect high voltage.

I found that the module is installed just behind the bumper and in front of the funk latch, requiring the bumper to be slid out a few inches. Given the vehicle is brand new, I was going to get the module installed, then let the tech do the update to software so it is recognized. I'm glad that I didn't. So to back up a step... I checked the Tesla app to schedule an appointment - it was Monday at 4p.m. I thought I would discover available appointments a month or so out, but nope. The next morning was available. So, Tesla arrived mid-morning in my shop and it didn't take too long.

First step, remove frunk plastic insert. Then remove a couple of small bolts in the front wheel wells that holds on the front bumper. Remove a handful of small bolts along the front lip that attach upper lip to vehicle. Then carefully slip the top edge of the bumper outward, giving enough space to get inside the center front.

Before attaching the homelink module, the tech disconnected 12v negative lead from battery, then the high voltage connection located inside the passenger seat. Once disconnected, he snapped in the module, connected the cable and then was able to reconnect power sources. From there, connecting up his laptop to the car and software was ready and homelink was available. Thank you Tesla, should have been included in the vehicle. But this is a feature that is very nice to have, especially when integrated into navigation before my office and home.

Attachments

• 20201221_112908b.jpg
    20201221_112908b.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 20201221_161609b.jpg
    20201221_161609b.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 20201222_103730b.jpg
    20201222_103730b.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 20201222_110744b.jpg
    20201222_110744b.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 20201220_155545b.jpg
    20201220_155545b.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20201220_155612b.jpg
    20201220_155612b.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 228
I am still debating on going this route or not. I had it in my 2019 LR and loved the convenience of it. I have been using my clicker for the garage that came with the door and it's annoying. I may go ahead and just do it lol

I am still debating on going this route or not. I had it in my 2019 LR and loved the convenience of it. I have been using my clicker for the garage that came with the door and it's annoying. I may go ahead and just do it lol

Tailwind IQ3 simulates its similarly, at least with auto open (auto close is more of a fail-safe). I bought one during black Friday for our other car and while its not as convenient as Homelink, its still pretty good.

Just picked up my M3P a week ago and will be getting a lot of mods done to it over the next couple of months (winter here in Michigan). The Homelink module is not part of the latest Model 3 builds, nor an option at time of purchase despite it being on Model 3s for the first few years. So, after purchasing the module from Tesla, then looking for installation instructions, I quickly realized that Tesla needed to do put this in as I did not know where to disconnect high voltage.

I found that the module is installed just behind the bumper and in front of the funk latch, requiring the bumper to be slid out a few inches. Given the vehicle is brand new, I was going to get the module installed, then let the tech do the update to software so it is recognized. I'm glad that I didn't. So to back up a step... I checked the Tesla app to schedule an appointment - it was Monday at 4p.m. I thought I would discover available appointments a month or so out, but nope. The next morning was available. So, Tesla arrived mid-morning in my shop and it didn't take too long.

First step, remove frunk plastic insert. Then remove a couple of small bolts in the front wheel wells that holds on the front bumper. Remove a handful of small bolts along the front lip that attach upper lip to vehicle. Then carefully slip the top edge of the bumper outward, giving enough space to get inside the center front.

Before attaching the homelink module, the tech disconnected 12v negative lead from battery, then the high voltage connection located inside the passenger seat. Once disconnected, he snapped in the module, connected the cable and then was able to reconnect power sources. From there, connecting up his laptop to the car and software was ready and homelink was available. Thank you Tesla, should have been included in the vehicle. But this is a feature that is very nice to have, especially when integrated into navigation before my office and home.

Yes considering the cost of the homelink module includes the installation cost, I would have them do it. I had my homelink module installed by mobile service also.

I also had Homelink added to mine in December and am very glad I did. We have two garage doors and a entry gate for the neighborhood a couple of blocks away. The Tesla integration is pretty cool. When you set up each device, you confirm it's correctly set when you are right in front of the device you want to open. Tesla records the GPS location so that when I drive within a certain range of the device, you get a green drop down on the screen just for that device or devices created at that location.

For example, coming home as I approach the gate, I get a drop down with the gate item only in green. One tap and it opens. As you drive through and past the gate, it goes out of range and the drop down disappears. Then as I approach the house, the drop down appears and the two garage door items are green in the drop down and I tap the one I want to open. They have an auto open feature that I do not use.

I find this Homelink module works better or more reliably than the Homelink I've had in other implementations like sun visors, or built in types like the 4Runner. One press did not always get it done with those where one tap does in the Tesla. Yeah, it's $300 but after using it's increased functionality was worth it to me.

Can homelink be used via voice commands? i.e. homelink/close garage, open garage. Also I assume there's a setting to close the garage manually by the touch screen drop down vs letting it close automagically; I actually want to see and control it closed rather than assume it closed and return home to free-for-all garage sale.

If I had 2 garage doors next to each other, maybe I'd have bitten the bullet and buy it. But the 3 houses I need to open, they only have 1 garage door, and I programmed all 3 with the same remote, which is attached under the screen (right in the midlde), so I just stick my hand under the fan button area, and click on the large button (I put a remote with only 1 long button). It's invisible, and works perfectly, so that was my 'free' solution to open all 3 houses :).

Can homelink be used via voice commands? i.e. homelink/close garage, open garage. Also I assume there's a setting to close the garage manually by the touch screen drop down vs letting it close automagically; I actually want to see and control it closed rather than assume it closed and return home to free-for-all garage sale.

I've not tried voice control . . yet. Like I said above, I don't use the auto open/close mode. I control the garage doors manually from the screen, coming and going. The HOA gate is different because it auto closes no matter what kind of remote opens it so I just open and drive through and forget it as it closes behind me. If it was an individual property gate, you could do it manually like a garage door.

Last edited: