Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink no auto open Dec 16 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have read in forums that the Homelink automatically opens as you come up to your garage in most Tesla's. I do not have that option, all it does when I get close to home is show the homeliness drop down. Is it a result of having autopilot 2.0 not active or am I missing a setting somewhere. Any help is appreciated

Dave

You need to enable auto-open/close in Controls> Settings> Homelink.

Be careful the first few days with the auto open/close as there are situations, depending on your garage configuration, where it can have unexpected consequences. But for many it's a great feature.

Congratulations on your new MS.

From the manual, emphasis added.

Auto Opening and Closing

To operate a device without having to touch the screen, you can automate it so it opens or closes automatically as you approach or drive away, respectively. To do so, touch Controls > Settings > HomeLink, touch the name of your device, then select the Auto Open and/or the Auto Close checkbox(es). As you approach (or drive away from) a device that is set to operate automatically, the HomeLink status icon displays the device name indicating that it has been automated. As you approach, a count-down message displays to let you know when the device will automatically open. In situations where you don't want the device to automatically open or close, touch Skip Auto- Open or Skip Auto-Close at any time during the count-down message.

We need a way to determine if we are approaching to or from the gate. For example, to exit the gated community there is an exit gate triggered by a proximity sensor. The Tesla wants to open the inbound gate when I'm waiting to exit. It would be nice if the Tesla knew if I'm leaving my home and going to the gate, not to fire the remote.

Also wish we could have more than just 3 homelink devices.

Also, a programmable delay would be nice. The Tesla always wants to open my garage when I'm out of reception range. By the time I get to the garage and within range, the Tesla has already tried (unsuccessfully) to open the garage door. I have to manually do it. I tried resetting the GPS position right up next to the gate without success.

Also, a programmable delay would be nice. The Tesla always wants to open my garage when I'm out of reception range. By the time I get to the garage and within range, the Tesla has already tried (unsuccessfully) to open the garage door. I have to manually do it. I tried resetting the GPS position right up next to the gate without success.

I have this same problem. Also, sometimes my garage won't open using Homelink after one of these "missed" transmissions (like the rolling codes got out of sync or something). I have to get out of the car and manually open the garage when this happens.

My auto open/close has not been working with the latest update. Anyone else having that issue?

It works for me but I need to be somewhat on an angle for the car to close the garage door after I back out. It doesn't work if my car is completely perpendicular to the door. I assume it's not the software update but rather the wireless spectrum between my opener and the car itself.

I would like to see a user-configurable delay. I get the open/close chime about 30 ft from my garage. I've tried updating the GPS location to right inside, but for whatever reason it wants to signal open outside of reception range.

For the gate, I'd like a direction awareness. The car wants to open the opposite gate (gated community) when I exit.

It sounds like you need to reset the geo coordinates stored to be a bit further down your driveway.
I didn't see anything in the manual about resetting coordinates for HomeLink, only this: "To do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink settings page by touching Controls > Settings > HomeLink. Choose the name of the programmed device, and touch Reset Location." I assume this informs the MS transmitter when to send the RF signal to the receiver on the opener. Is there something else you're referring to? Thanks.

I didn't see anything in the manual about resetting coordinates for HomeLink, only this: "To do so, park as close as possible to the HomeLink device (garage door, gate, etc.) and display the HomeLink settings page by touching Controls > Settings > HomeLink. Choose the name of the programmed device, and touch Reset Location." I assume this informs the MS transmitter when to send the RF signal to the receiver on the opener. Is there something else you're referring to? Thanks.

This doesn't help in my situation. I reset the location while parked with the nose of the car inches from my garage door and it still sets off the signal to open the garage 20 or 30 feet away which is way too far.