Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Not Closing Garage Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
When I set up my Homelink, Angel would happily close the garage door as I approached the end of the driveway. For some reason, she has lost interest in doing this. I revisited the Homelink page and didn't see an option other than "auto open"/close which is enabled. And yes, she automatically opens the door. How do I get her to relearn that she must close the door when I leave?

This happens to me randomly too. I believe the problem is with GPS signal since it needs it to know where you are to open/close door. I think after several hours of parking and you drive off fairly quickly the GPS doesn't have time to activate home link.

Just a guess however.

I've had the same problem for awhile, although for the first couple of years we owned the car, it never happened.

I'm doubtful of the GPS explanation since the display always shows the homelink connection name, it just doesn't show the automatic close text. That makes me think it knows where it is, it's just forgotten about the automatic close setting.

I think it's just another software bug.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone (32 minutes on hold) with the national service center and they did not come up with a solution. The local Bellevue SC did not return my call (so far--it's been about an hour). While the tech I spoke to was helpful and courteous, the fact she could not solve the problem is troubling. I hope this is not a harbinger of troubles that crop up over time.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone (32 minutes on hold) with the national service center and they did not come up with a solution. The local Bellevue SC did not return my call (so far--it's been about an hour). While the tech I spoke to was helpful and courteous, the fact she could not solve the problem is troubling. I hope this is not a harbinger of troubles that crop up over time.
This happened to me yesterday too!
Somehow my MAX just stop closing the garage doors when I leave the house.
At the same time MAX was stuck in “sleep mode” when I took kids to school and when dropping kids off at school the car ask to calibrate FWD?
I drove home parked car then return 15mins later MAX was normal..but I still had to calibrate FWD.
I think MAX loss selective memory of FWD tied to homelink because it was “sleep mode” for too long?
My FWD was set to certain ht “ at this location “ only in my garage but all these memories was loss, so now I have to reset MAX :(

This happens to me frequently. I find it happens most if I step on the brake when backing out, which I do often as I have a good slope down to the street. Sometimes it will reset after I come home, sometimes not. It has always responded to and reset with a scroll wheel reboot.

I’ve always had it working to open the door, never had close work. Even through all the issues with Homelink several versions ago. I went through all the resets and all that, and tried this again yesterday (turning on auto close), and nothing.

It should do auto-close (I assume) at about the place it does auto-open, right? (If using the default setting for auto-open distance...?)

I have a problem testing this because as I drive away I never know when to give up and close it myself. The Homelink icon stays green for a long distance (several houses on my street) but I can’t see the door close.... :D

Just got my MS a week ago and setup Homelink auto open/close. Exact same problem here. Auto open works great every time. Auto close never works even though the option is checked and the Homelink icon is green as I back out of the driveway. I have tested by driving far away (over a block with no success), but ironically when I circled back around and drove past the driveway again it tried to auto open it (which really just closed it). So disappointing when an advertised feature doesn't work. Sigh, I guess I will have to just lift my hand and press the virtual button to close it like a cave man. ;)

The GPS theory is plausible, because it could take a few minutes to acquire the location after the car was asleep, except that my app always seems to know where the car is, so I don't think that is it either. It would be easy to test though. Just drive into the garage with auto/open and then leave without getting out of the car or "turning it off". The car would still have the GPS location it used during the auto/open. GPS is so good now that it normally gets a good signal even in a wooden structure type garage.

LED lights on or around the garage door opener interfere with the remote signal... you might consider this as a possible cause of your problem.

The LEDS tend to significantly reduce the acceptable distance between remote and receiver. So, from inside garage it will always work; however, from outside - as you are pulling away - it is unsuccessful in making the connection.

None of these explanations are plausible (I think). I have had my MS for two years and homelink has worked flawlessly both opening and closing the garage door until about a month ago when it stopped closing the door (still opens perfectly). I believe someone changed something in a software update. Will report to Tesla during annual service next week.

My latest theory has to do with "state." I worked in process control for some time, and I expect the car does not know if it should close or open the door when the car is in the garage--the "state" of the system. It's a complex algorithm. Assuming a known starting point (door closed, car is off) when the car is activated and you put it in reverse, it has no way to tell (other than using the cameras) to know if the door is still closed. I don't know if that is factored in, but let's assume I open the door manually as I enter the garage--and the door is open. In reverse, the system has to sync into the GPS to self-locate and not simply assume the car has been teleported to another garage somewhere in Ohio. So, let's assume it knows where it is. As you back out, and knowing the GPS tripping point to close (30' back), it closes the door. Swell.

As you return, the car senses the opening point (GPS again) and triggers an "open"--the door opens. (This seems to work 99% of the time). BUT when I drive in, I sometimes switch into reverse to turn on the camera to see if I'm in far enough. THIS might confuse the car as when I switch back into Drive, it might think I no longer want to trigger the door. Perhaps if the rear camera was activated as I got to the garage (based on GPS location), that might preclude that need and not confuse the car.

Perhaps if the garage door systems could report their state (open, closed, blocked, locked, etc.) that would help but we have no control over that.

My auto-close very seldom works (and has been that way since I got the vehicle). It actually seems more likely to activate when I don't want it to than when I do (i.e. parking in the driveway and then moving the vehicle to get in the garage). Regarding the times when it doesn't work, I don't think it's related to hitting the brake on the way out or putting it in reverse after pulling in, as I do these things every time and it does work on rare occasion. Someone had posited in an earlier thread that it might only work when the center screen has not been touched, but I can confirm that is not the case for me, either. I had figured it might be an issue with going into reverse and/or starting to move too soon, because it seemed to me like when I would sit in the can for a bit before taking those actions it would work, and I can't rule that out, but sitting in the car for a short period of time doesn't consistently make mine work. However, I can also confirm that it has worked when I was in the garage and opened the garage door from the wall as well as when I have opened the garage door from the center screen. Moreover, triggering homelink is triggering homelink, so I don't think there is any check for state intended (except maybe using summon, and I would assume it would use radar to check).

In my personal opinion, Tesla's decision to purchase a Homelink module instead of making their own software may have been a mistake. I don't know enough about garage door openers to be sure on this, but I would like to have more the ability to open more than three garage doors, and I assume that arbitrary limit is due to the Homelink's module design as opposed to any other sort of hardware limitation.

To all those people guessing maybe it's GPS related, the garage doors that are close per GPS show up green while the other ones show up white, so you can tell by looking at the screen whether or not GPS knows you're near the garage door.

To all those people guessing it's structural, when auto-open and auto-close are to be activated, the center screen shows the opener list, indicates how many feet until the task will occur, and has a skip button available in case you don't want it to. In my case (and most likely the OP's), the issue is that there is no indication of feet until auto-close or skip button because auto-close simply hasn't been initiated by the vehicle.

Just had the homelink module installed in my model Y. Tried to test it, and I have the same issue all others are having. It will do a cycle (open or close) when approaching garage, never leaving it. Therefore, if garage door is open when I approach, it will close (even though screen says opening). Never has auto closed upon leaving.

Just had the homelink module installed in my model Y. Tried to test it, and I have the same issue all others are having. It will do a cycle (open or close) when approaching garage, never leaving it. Therefore, if garage door is open when I approach, it will close (even though screen says opening). Never has auto closed upon leaving.

In the Homelink profile, there is an option that must be selected "Close when leaving"