Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink not programming with Chamberlain Formula One Garage Door Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 2018 Tesla model S. I been trying to program the Homelink to link with my garage door opener, and it has not worked. Please note this worked fine with my 2015 Tesla Model S.

I got Chamberlain Formula One garage door opener. It has part no: 41AB050-2M, and it was manufactured on 4/10. It has remote garage door opener.

I tried both programming mode in Homelink: Standard and Homelink.

In Standard programming, I tried to follow the instruction on screen and pointed my garage door opener at the front of the car. The car never blinked, and it never picked up the signal.

In default mode, I hit the learn button on the garage door opener, and the Tesla said it programmed itself, but the homelink button does not open the garage.

Anything else I should try? I can't seem to get his working. This is an important function I need daily. It is such a bad look to carry around a garage door opener in a Tesla when Homelink should work.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I am really puzzled.

If it worked for 2015 Tesla Model S then it should work for 2018 Tesla Model S too.

Who did the programming for your 2015 Model S?

Does the remote still opens and closes the garage door each time you attempt to program it in front of your 2018 Model S?

I am really puzzled.

If it worked for 2015 Tesla Model S then it should work for 2018 Tesla Model S too.

Who did the programming for your 2015 Model S?

Does the remote still opens and closes the garage door each time you attempt to program it in front of your 2018 Model S?

Yes remote works fine in front of the garage each time I programmed it. I am using the remote now to open/close the door. Believe me, I am puzzled by it worked on my 2015 but not my 2018. Not sure what else I can try. I need this to work though.

How close to the car did you get your remote to the front of the car?

Did you try the remote touching the top front bumper of the car?

I tried from various distance including like 1 inch from the front. I haven't tried touching the front bumper yet, which I will try soon. The garage door is set up with my Lexus, so I know it works.

It is just weird not working with this new 2018 Model S.

I just rebooted my MCU2, and it took the programming this time. If you want to reboot the MCU2, you need to hold the two roller buttons for like 5 secs until the screen turn blank, and it will reboot.

Glad I got it resolved. It is just another Tesla software glitch that needs to get fixed.

@jeffdom1978 I have a purple button/purple antenna lift master and my MS works with it. Like I had stated, it took a few attempts for it to learn it.

Make sure you have a good set a batteries in the remote and its an original remote, not a aftermarket or third party remote, does the Tesla get to the point where it flashes your lights? Because with the purple buttons there is a second step where you have to climb up and learn the Tesla to the opener within I believe 60 seconds. The screen will tell you when to get up and press the learn button on the opener.

@jeffdom1978 I have a purple button/purple antenna lift master and my MS works with it. Like I had stated, it took a few attempts for it to learn it.

Make sure you have a good set a batteries in the remote and its an original remote, not a aftermarket or third party remote, does the Tesla get to the point where it flashes your lights? Because with the purple buttons there is a second step where you have to climb up and learn the Tesla to the opener within I believe 60 seconds. The screen will tell you when to get up and press the learn button on the opener.

I gave up after about 5 attempts.. I just assumed mine was too old. I will definitely give it another try tonight! Yea I did go back and push the button, but it just kept putting me through an endless loop.

I gave up after about 5 attempts.. I just assumed mine was too old. I will definitely give it another try tonight! Yea I did go back and push the button, but it just kept putting me through an endless loop.

Make sure you are parked close to the door, I think the initial pairing signal is not as powerful. Just don't park your car under the door. I also think you might have to press and hold the purple button until the garage light flashes. There was a notice also put out by Chamberlin about using LED and CFL lightbulbs in an opener, it causes issues with the signals.

The steps to program were as follows,

Start Home Link setup wizard, go out and stand in front of car and hold remote up to T logo on front press and hold until your DRL lights flash.

Go back to car and it should say step two is to learn car to opener, you will press a button on the screen (I think) and then climb up your ladder and push the purple button on the opener until the garage light flashes. I think you have 60 - 90 seconds with the Tesla where its transmitting the learn code.

If you have issues give the MCU a reboot by pressing both scroll wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam
Make sure you are parked close to the door, I think the initial pairing signal is not as powerful. Just don't park your car under the door. I also think you might have to press and hold the purple button until the garage light flashes. There was a notice also put out by Chamberlin about using LED and CFL lightbulbs in an opener, it causes issues with the signals.

The steps to program were as follows,

Start Home Link setup wizard, go out and stand in front of car and hold remote up to T logo on front press and hold until your DRL lights flash.

Go back to car and it should say step two is to learn car to opener, you will press a button on the screen (I think) and then climb up your ladder and push the purple button on the opener until the garage light flashes. I think you have 60 - 90 seconds with the Tesla where its transmitting the learn code.

If you have issues give the MCU a reboot by pressing both scroll wheels.

Holy crap it works! I swapped out the LED bulb I had been using in the opener (had no idea) and went through the setup and now suddenly it works! I’m in shock right now! Thanks soooo much!!!

Reactions: Tam
I am facing similar issue with the same model of garage door opener and my model 3. My car confirms that it programmed it fine. When i try to use it to open the garage, it won't work.
Should I try
- Programming when I am very close to the garage?
- Programming in a different mode? (Default mode never asked me to press learn on the opener; it only asked to keep the remote control pressed)
- Anything else?

I just got my 2018 Tesla model S. I been trying to program the Homelink to link with my garage door opener, and it has not worked. Please note this worked fine with my 2015 Tesla Model S.

I got Chamberlain Formula One garage door opener. It has part no: 41AB050-2M, and it was manufactured on 4/10. It has remote garage door opener.

I tried both programming mode in Homelink: Standard and Homelink.

In Standard programming, I tried to follow the instruction on screen and pointed my garage door opener at the front of the car. The car never blinked, and it never picked up the signal.

In default mode, I hit the learn button on the garage door opener, and the Tesla said it programmed itself, but the homelink button does not open the garage.

Anything else I should try? I can't seem to get his working. This is an important function I need daily. It is such a bad look to carry around a garage door opener in a Tesla when Homelink should work.

Thanks for any help in advance.
I know this may be a dead post but I figured this out on my chamberlain. I had Tesla come out for a service and asked him about the opener. He asked if I had a chamberlain and knew right away. I had LED bulbs in the unit and he said change those out for regular incandescent ones. He said the LED can somehow block the signal. Him nor I could figure out why but it worked!