Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink now an option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question. Since Tesla does not provide a detailed description of the car’s features in any of the sales documents I’m not sure there is any way to know for sure until you show up for delivery. That is surprising that they are downgrading the premium interior feature set. I guess that’s just a way to effectively raise the prices without making it completely obvious they are doing so. Coupled with last week’s $400 across the board price increase that makes it a $700 overall increase over the past week.

I guess Elon wants to prove that his cars are really appreciating assets.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
I ordered a Performance trim Model 3 on May 14th and my salesguy says I probably won't get Homelink, which I thought I was getting when I priced/ordered the car. This, after them raising the price $400 *while it was in my shopping cart* (but before I hit the Purchase button).

Obviously, it's not about the $300, it's about rethinking whether I want to buy a car from a company that thinks it's appropriate to change the terms of a deal after it has been agreed to. It doesn't speak well of how they will treat customers going forward.
I'd be a touch irate. It is not acceptable to remove features after the order is placed. You should push back (unless you really just dont care).

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I think the option is priced to prevent people from buying it (rather than getting a $20 clicker). The cost of installing this during assembly must have been much, much lower than doing it aftermarket.

The "Premium Packet" feels less premium by the day ...

So we have no idea if there is anything from Homelink that is causing these head scratching moves.

It’s not something that Tesla owns. They license it and maybe the licensing terms changed to where Tesla has to make adjustment.

Installing the chip and software unlock makes total sense but scheduling service to install it cost more than the $300 in revenue.

I ordered on 5/27 and I'll be calling support tomorrow. They better include this in my build. And it is kind of embarrassing that they are making Homelink a $300 option on top of their "Premium package" for a car costing $50k.
Considering this car targets entry-mid level luxury segment it's not embarrassing at all.. go look at every other German automaker and it's included in some bs premium plus option that's like $2k. Besides, the discussion on Reddit kind of gave a consensus that most people apparently didn't use it anyway. Either it's not compatible with their building garage, don't have a need for it or whatever it is. If when you bought it was promised you will get it relax.

Everyone on this forum is so quick to jump the gun. Be thankful Tesla even informs you I don't know of any German (or any) automaker making changes to their lineup (which happens many many times throughout the year) with a notice. My 2 cents.

Reactions: Nine2Five
Tesla will spend more than $300 to install this.

Makes absolutely zero sense.

There are those of us that wanted that feature on the lower trims. If they decided to allow that as an after purchase option installed by the service center they have to stock parts and have a procedure to install it. Once they go that far it's easy enough to see some savings by removing it from the bundles.

and look Automatic Garage Opener it is in the shop and available to be installed in all Model 3 no matter the trim level.

It's definitely not an in house manufactured part so it's not a cheap part. How much it costs Tesla I have no idea but the price difference between a non homelink auto dimming mirror and a homelink auto dimming mirror is significant.

Everyone on this forum is so quick to jump the gun. Be thankful Tesla even informs you I don't know of any German (or any) automaker making changes to their lineup (which happens many many times throughout the year) with a notice. My 2 cents.
No need for hyperbole. I wouldn't call merely asking a question gun-jumping. I wouldn't have given it much thought if the change had happened before I ordered. After an order and a deposit... it's valid to ask the question whether they'd honor it, given others on this forum have much more history with Tesla than I do.

cheers.

• Disagree
Reactions: YusufT
No need for hyperbole. I wouldn't call merely asking a question gun-jumping. I wouldn't have given it much thought if the change had happened before I ordered. After an order and a deposit... it's valid to ask the question whether they'd honor it, given others on this forum have much more history with Tesla than I do.

cheers.
How is it hyperbole? He said it's embarrassing the car doesn't include home link and I told him why it's not. By jumping the gun I meant people jumping to conclusions, Tesla usually does honor whatever you were promised at purchase. You can just wait for them to give an official response instead of assuming things and making the matters worse IMO.

How is it hyperbole? He said it's embarrassing the car doesn't include home link and I told him why it's not. By jumping the gun I meant people jumping to conclusions, Tesla usually does honor whatever you were promised at purchase. You can just wait for them to give an official response instead of assuming things and making the matters worse IMO.
"Everyone on this forum is so quick to jump the gun."... is hyperbole. Just pointing that out. Take a deep breath. No pitch forks here. Just asking questions. No need to assume I'm assuming anything. Peace.

I ordered on 5/27 and I'll be calling support tomorrow. They better include this in my build. And it is kind of embarrassing that they are making Homelink a $300 option on top of their "Premium package" for a car costing $50k.

Well, FWIW, the purchase agreement states that: “Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

I ordered on 5/27 and expect this feature to be installed in my car free of charge.

Reactions: IronQQQ and shplatt
Well, FWIW, the purchase agreement states that: “Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle.”

I ordered on 5/27 and expect this feature to be installed in my car free of charge.
That's a good point. I think I must have read that to mean Tesla won't give you new features added after your order, but I can definitely see how it means they can't take features away.