Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink on Tesla App "Please move closer to your vehicle"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in an apartment with a detached garage and an automatic garage door opener. I bought the Homelink device and had it installed.
Within the vehicle the Homelink works great. It opens and closes the garage - even automatically closes it when I pull away and automatically opens it when I approach.

The Homelink button on the mobile app however has not been a pleasant experience. Occassionally the Homelink button will not successfully activate from the Tesla app. It will give me the message, "Please move closer to your vehicle." I can be inside the garage standing right next to it and it will keep saying this.

I've tried:

- Force close the app and restart it
- Rebooting my phone (a Pixel 4xl)
- Turn the phone on airplane mode and then off airplane mode

The big plus for me using the app is I no longer have to carry the garage remote around anymore. It's a bummer that the app isn't working well for me.

Anyone else experience this or have any ideas or suggestions? Maybe remove the app and reinstall it?

Thanks!

The official Tesla app uses your phone’s and your car’s GPS location to determine if you are near it. If the devices can’t get a good signal, it could put the two as being far from each other even when it’s not. Try to figure out which gps signal is wrong by checking the map apps on your phone and car and seeing if they match up with where you actually are.

If you can’t fix the gps signal, there probably are third party apps or web apps that can ignore that GPS location requirement to be nearby.

You can also try this, but I doubt that this is your problem: Delete the HomeLink from your vehicle, and add it again when your car is parked outside and facing the garage door. This should store the HomeLink gps location as outside your garage instead of inside. This might help with your situation so that you might be able to activate the HomeLink from outside your garage.