Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink on the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For some I had in my mind that the button was on the key, and that I could either have that operate the trunk release or homelink… I don't know where I came up with that. Three remotes is fantastic. I have a gate as well as the garage door. I'll give it a go the w/e.

Thanks all.

That is accurate - on the VDS, go to Settings; the second screen has "Key Fob" which lets you choose what you want the third button on the key to do.

Reactions: drewski
For some I had in my mind that the button was on the key, and that I could either have that operate the trunk release or homelink… I don't know where I came up with that. Three remotes is fantastic. I have a gate as well as the garage door. I'll give it a go the w/e.

Thanks all.

The third button can be programmed to 1) release trunk, 2) Homelink, or 3) panic button / sound alarm

So that is how you operate the garage, gate, etc... with the key fob? But, someone said that you can program up to 3 remotes, how can you do 3 remotes with one button?
Using the third button on the key fob is just an optional way to invoke one of the three homelink remotes. The primary way to invoke any of the homelink remotes is by touching the homelink icon on the little VDS display. If you have only one programmed, then it operated immediately. If you have more than one programmed then touching the homelink icon on the VDS brings up another screen where you touch another button to activate the desired remote.

Reactions: im4uttx
Using the third button on the key fob is just an optional way to invoke one of the three homelink remotes. The primary way to invoke any of the homelink remotes is by touching the homelink icon on the little VDS display. If you have only one programmed, then it operated immediately. If you have more than one programmed then touching the homelink icon on the VDS brings up another screen where you touch another button to activate the desired remote.
Got it! Thanks Steve... I'll give it a go this w/e.

Viola! The gate and garage door are now programmed and working like a charm.

Now I can remove the openers that I had taped to the back side of my rear view mirror.

are you using the Fob 3rd button?

i'm wondering if it just activates "Slot 1" since you don't have a second screen to choose as @slcasner described when you use the VDS Homelink functionality. or can you choose which opener to activate with the fob 3rd button?

I have both a garage door and a gate programmed in Homelink. I've never used the third button for Homelink, but I just went through the steps on the VDS Settings screens to do so. What I found was that the gate, which was the one most recently programmed, was the one initially chosen. But you can choose any one of the programmed Homelink devices.

The up/down arrow buttons work on two levels. First you choose among Alarm, Trunk, and Homelink. If you select Homelink, then the up/down buttons cycle through the programmed devices.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
are you using the Fob 3rd button?

i'm wondering if it just activates "Slot 1" since you don't have a second screen to choose as @slcasner described when you use the VDS Homelink functionality. or can you choose which opener to activate with the fob 3rd button?
Pretty much what Steve said...

My third button on the Fob still operates my trunk and I have the option of gate or garage when I hit the homelink button on the screen. I would "assume" that if I reprogrammed the button on the fob to control the homelink, then you'd be able to choose which one. But for me, I'd rather have both hoomelinks in one place.

Reactions: ra88it
Homelink works fine, but gotta say it was much more convenient having the remotes attached to the back of my mirror. It is intuitive to have them on the mirror, as that is where they are on my other cars. Also, don't have to look down and find the button on the VDS. Just my thoughts.

Homelink works fine, but gotta say it was much more convenient having the remotes attached to the back of my mirror. It is intuitive to have them on the mirror, as that is where they are on my other cars. Also, don't have to look down and find the button on the VDS. Just my thoughts.

agree. my other car has them on the sun-visor so similar to if you ciip on the remote that comes with the opener.

do the other Tesla models also do Homelink via their touchscreens?

Reactions: ra88it
I have been seeing some strange behaviour of Homelink on my newly acquired Roadster (2.5).

Can anyone tell me whether the car can support rolling code fobs or just static?
I suggest going to Home Depot getting the lift master adapter for Internet connection. If your garage opener has My IQ icon, you are set. Use the phone to open up the garage. That is what I do when I have a service rental or use Uber on way back to home. I rarely use a key.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 2.58.13 PM.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-07-27 at 2.58.13 PM.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 68