Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink on the Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Liftmaster 3800 that I believe uses rolling codes. Homelink in every car I've owned has been flaky with it. Most of the time a quick press of the button will open the door, and then others I'll have to hold the button for 10sec or so before the opener does its thing.

Homelink supports both fixed and rolling codes, depending on what your garage door wants. When you are "training" it, using the existing opener lets it learn a fixed code. If it can't learn a fixed code, instead you press the training button on the door controller, and it instead learns the car's rolling code. It requires a few consecutive transmissions to do that. Then in future, if the car transmits a code from "the future", it will again require a few consecutive codes to resync. If you press the homelink button while still out of range, you might cause this behavior yourself.

I bought this universal receiver from Homelink (PR433-4), thinking I could program the car with that. But it looks like both the car and the receiver want to "learn" the transmitter code. :cursing:
I'm willing to buy a standard Homelink remote if needed, but I'm sure that one also wants to learn a code first. What device initially creates the code? Can someone solve this chicken or egg dilemma for me?

I have been seeing some strange behaviour of Homelink on my newly acquired Roadster (2.5).

Can anyone tell me whether the car can support rolling code fobs or just static?

I just got a new liftmaster myself and to work with the roadster it requires the home link repeater. It plugs into an outlet and Yukon use the home link remote to program the roadster. Works perfect after that was installed too.

Hi Anyone!
For some reason my Homelink stopped working. It’s happened before and I have “retrained” my Tesla Roadster (#287) to learn learn the signal from my universal remote. Now, when I press the retrain (or add) button, the VDS simply says “System preparing - may take up to 25 seconds” and then times out.

Without fail, I can “delete” and “rename”, but cannot “add” or “retrain” buttons.
I have tried several times after recharging, open/close chargeport, etc. No luck.

Any thoughts?

Does my 1.5 (#187) have Homelink? If it does, where are the buttons?

Thanks
Yes...

The Homelink icon appears on most of the different screens that are shown on the VDS. Before you can use it, though, you need to train it using the remote for whatever device you'd like to control.

The VDS is the touchscreen on the left side of the 1.5 Roadster... It can support up to three remotes...

Reactions: ra88it
When I set it up it took forever to get it to work. I think the issue was that I needed to flick a switch on the receiver for it to be programmed, despite the receiver unit saying it didn't need it. Also, I think the Roadster is very sensitive to location when it says "vehicle's left speaker."

However, I did get it working with my 1.5.

I was able to get the HomeLink on my 1.5 to pair with our original circa 1993 garage door opener and community gate with minimal issues.

But when I upgraded the garage door opener last year I must have tried a dozen times to get it to pair with HomeLink but ultimately gave up and resigned to use the garage door opener remote.

The HomeLink still works with the community gate, though.

When I set it up it took forever to get it to work. I think the issue was that I needed to flick a switch on the receiver for it to be programmed, despite the receiver unit saying it didn't need it. Also, I think the Roadster is very sensitive to location when it says "vehicle's left speaker."

However, I did get it working with my 1.5.

I opened the dash to clean out some Alpine wiring and boxes and saw the Homelink unit. It was a VW/Audi part and sat between the left front speaker and instrument cluster, so the directions seem reasonable.

I don't know if the Solarguard windshield interferes at all, but it did take 3 tries to pair with my opener. My ICE car (an Audi) programmed on first go.

Yes...

The VDS is the touchscreen on the left side of the 1.5 Roadster... It can support up to three remotes...

For some I had in my mind that the button was on the key, and that I could either have that operate the trunk release or homelink… I don't know where I came up with that. Three remotes is fantastic. I have a gate as well as the garage door. I'll give it a go the w/e.

Thanks all.