Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink ordering issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a M3 a little over a week ago. I have a delivery date scheduled for Oct 26.

I’ve been asking my sales center about the homelink add on. They keep telling me they don’t have them and the only way to get it is to order it online.

I really didn’t like a couple of things that made me feel uneasy going into it, and my suspicions were confirmed —

1. when I placed the order, it said “no vin provided yet or buying as a gift” or something like that. Essentially as you add the item to your cart, you are meant to give them your VIN, but no text field appears on the screen to add your VIN. I figured it must ask it at checkout or somewhere later down the line and continued against my better judgement

2. It makes you pick a service center; it doesn’t allow you to leave it open ended or request a mobile appointment.

3. the name of my service is center is actually misspelled on Tesla’s site. I know it doesn’t matter, but that’s pretty damn sloppy.

4. I regretfully placed the order. I immediately got a rejection email saying “no vin was supplied and order is on hold until it’s received” even though there was nowhere I could have inputted it. And the only way I can release the order is by replying with my VIN number to their automated email. No phone number. I figured “no way in hell Tesla is efficiently going through millions of garbage emails/replies and picking out this information or answering any substantive questions.

I reply to the email with my vin, no more auto reply comes back. I think “maybe I can log into my account and at least there is a history of my orders I can check” I log in— nothing. No record of me ever having ordered the home link. That also means no way of cancelling. No phone numbers. Insanely frustrating. Now I have a vin number emailed to a generic box probably littered with bullshit customer emails that no one is checking, and my homelink isn’t moving along the order queue. I have no faith the thing is ever going to release and ship

I tell my service center the online ordering is dogshit and I’m literally told to direct any questions to an email box. That is insane. That is going to mix legitimate questions with a bunch of random bullshit emails and they probably take weeks to respond to you with some question that then takes more weeks for them to respond to. The sales contact gives me a phone number to dial

I call the number and get to the phone tree section about parts ordered online, once I press it, the recording says to email the same damn online order email and kicks back to the main menu

this is pretty insane. I understand this is a startup culture. If you aren’t going to have people able to respond to inquiries by phone or chat or something more immediate, you at the very least have to register customer’s orders through their account so they can go in and cancel it. Now this order is just sitting out there in some digital abyss, I have no way of tracking its progress, communicating to a human about it, cancelling it, or worse, I may go buy it from another center and 6 months down the line they ship this part to my service center unbeknownst to me and I end up double paying for it because I don’t notice the charge on my card

for the price of these cars, their online system is garbage. I had to pay $100 premium for a wall connector because even though units are in stock I was told It can take weeks to ship and no one answers your questions

very frustrated I couldn’t just option this in with the delivery of my car. Insane that I’m stressed chasing around all these variables. If you’re going to refuse to interface with customers in any sort of live way, you have to at the very, very least give a way to cancel the order.

does anyone have advice? How do you get your hands on this part? How do you get a human to speak to you? How do you even go about cancelling your order if it shows up nowhere on my account? All I have is the auto-reply with an order number saying I’m on hold until they get my vin.

not a good start to ownership. They also had no mats or anything in stock at my sales center. I had to preemptively order everything off amazon. I’m one of those guys that would pay a slight premium for OEM accessories, and the sales people blatantly tell me they don’t have them and I will “get it much faster online myself than they could” — how is that possible that a one-way communication system of customer service is managing this burgeoning company that is inundated with requests for products? Wall connectors are selling for 600-900 on amazon and ebay. I don’t know what to say anymore- they are losing out on tons of money, I’m quickly learning I have to buy third party everything because at least amazon will talk to me and let me return stuff, and I can never buy anything from Tesla ever because they simply will not help me in any shape or form

Last edited:
To be very honest, I'm not in the process of buying my second Tesla because of their customer service. After dealing with them for the past few years, I set the bar low when it comes to getting complete satisfaction from customer service. That said, there are a few at my local service/delivery center who are dynamite. Get to know them, they'll do everything in their ability to make things happen. They have come through for me when I needed them the most.

If you come across as an entitled douche, you get the run of the mill non-response.

I waited until the VIN showed up in my account to order. I got the car about a week later. Took another week then they called me and wanted to do a mobile install. Went smooth and has been working fine ever since.

Wish they just included it with the car. Was a bit of a PITA to have to do it this way. But now that it’s in it’s awesome. Having it auto open/close when I pull in/out is really cool.

I waited until the VIN showed up in my account to order. I got the car about a week later. Took another week then they called me and wanted to do a mobile install. Went smooth and has been working fine ever since.

Wish they just included it with the car. Was a bit of a PITA to have to do it this way. But now that it’s in it’s awesome. Having it auto open/close when I pull in/out is really cool.

The vin is on my account. Is there some part of the online account where you can see “orders” or some record of you having bought the homelink? I can’t find it anywhere. Of course Tesla went and charged my credit card, a practice usually reserved until a product is shipped. I have no way of stopping it short of contesting the charge with my credit card company

in this day and age, buying something online and then having no tracking, or information, no human to contact, and no ability to cancel is insane. How do I know they are even sending me this thing? Are we supposed to just wait indefinitely until someone calls me, which may be never?

Are you sure when you placed the order online it didn’t give you the option to select your VIN? When you check out, the default would be No VIN / Gift. Click on the arrow down to the right to select your car.

Once the part is received by the SC, you will get a text to schedule your install. You do this in the app, and it will ask you for your address & confirm if mobile install is available for your area.

Hope this helps!

Unfortunately, you should just order another one with the VIN applied and just dispute the first order with your credit card. That's the most efficient way of dealing with this.

I just tried to order it and in the first checkout screen, there is a drop down to select my car and VIN under "This is a gift or VIN not yet assigned."

I had the same experience as the OP. I emailed the VIN and never got a reply. I showed up to my service appointment to fix things 2 weeks after my delivery and asked about my home link order. The SA checked and later said my homelink was there and they would install it with everything else. It's unclear if they actually had a device assigned to me or if they just were able to fulfill my order with a unit they have. Good luck.

Are you sure when you placed the order online it didn’t give you the option to select your VIN? When you check out, the default would be No VIN / Gift. Click on the arrow down to the right to select your car.

Once the part is received by the SC, you will get a text to schedule your install. You do this in the app, and it will ask you for your address & confirm if mobile install is available for your area.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply — yes, I did see the drop down as I described above. It did not have any other option or my vin. The only
Option I could choose was “no vin or gift”

I have a vin assigned to me on my account. This was also with me buying it through a desktop browser logged into my Tesla account , not the app. Since I didn’t take delivery yet the app is useless, it just shows the loot box and the referral code. So everything has to be done through the site

Unfortunately, you should just order another one with the VIN applied and just dispute the first order with your credit card. That's the most efficient way of dealing with this.

I just tried to order it and in the first checkout screen, there is a drop down to select my car and VIN under "This is a gift or VIN not yet assigned."
I think that shows up for you because you have the car delivered already. I assume that is the difference. While I have a VIN assigned and I’m taking delivery in a few days, The option of my vin does not populate in that drop down

Just had a lengthy call with my service center. They got indignant with me. Started with trying to pawn me back to my delivery service center - who were the ones who told me they could not help me to begin with, would not order the homelink for me and told me it would get to me “faster” if I ordered it myself online

the employee on the phone kept saying he was sales and he couldn’t help- I told him I understand, so who in parts or service could I speak to— and he kept saying “we don’t work that way “ and “there is no one to talk to” and “I’ll have someone at delivery get back to you”

Everything with Tesla is a one way conversation. You call or email them, and they will “get back with you” and then never do

it’s borderline making me consider dumping the car if this is what I can expect in terms of treatment. He wouldn’t even listen to me explain the story, would forget critical facts and repeat back incorrect things to me that showed he wasn’t listening to me, and then he and his coworkers would laugh on the phone.

I’m trying to explain to you that you took my money and there is no history of the order on my account - and he would reply with things like “yeah it’s on your account “ “show me where” “I’ll have delivery get back to you at the other service center “ “they told me they can’t help me and instructed me to order it myself. That’s why I have this problem to begin with” “well
Someone will email you” “but no one emails back from this address for any reason. Google any Tesla message board - I don’t think anyone has ever reported getting a response from that black hole of an email address. It must be spammed with millions of messages” “we can’t help you because it’s going to X service center” “no it’s not it’s going to you!!! I had to choose your location when I bought it “ “I’ll tell the delivery team just give it more time” “I don’t want to give it more time. Your company isn’t acknowledging electronically that I even bought anything but charged my card. For all I know nothing will happen”

The vin is on my account. Is there some part of the online account where you can see “orders” or some record of you having bought the homelink? I can’t find it anywhere. Of course Tesla went and charged my credit card, a practice usually reserved until a product is shipped. I have no way of stopping it short of contesting the charge with my credit card company

in this day and age, buying something online and then having no tracking, or information, no human to contact, and no ability to cancel is insane. How do I know they are even sending me this thing? Are we supposed to just wait indefinitely until someone calls me, which may be never?

I had no way to track the order. They just called me one day out of the blue and scheduled the mobile install.