Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink - Post Delivery Installation Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jebinc

Jun 19, 2019
Seattle area
Hello All,

Like many of you who have had your M3's delivered post 5/31/19, there's no Homelink. For those of you who shelled out the extra $300 (as I have), and had it installed after delivery, what was the installation process like? How long does it take? SC or Mobile? What part of the M3 does the service technician tear into? It's seems like the module is a simple "plug into harness" installation, but where does it go? I ask these questions in advance of a "mobile service" appointment I have scheduled for next Monday, July 8th. I'm also wondering how long I will have to "hang around". Thanks for sharing your experience!

I am wondering the same thing. Took delivery 6-18 on my SR+ and decided to order the homelink a few days later. Haven't even got to the setting service appointment stage yet. Don't tell me there's only two of us crazy enough to spend $300 for homelink?!?!

I am wondering the same thing. Took delivery 6-18 on my SR+ and decided to order the homelink a few days later. Haven't even got to the setting service appointment stage yet. Don't tell me there's only two of us crazy enough to spend $300 for homelink?!?!

Could be bro, could be... Re the appointment - Using the Tesla app you can schedule the appointment directly. There is an accessories option... Once I filled it out I was pleasantly surprised that my install was scheduled as a service call at my house!

Could be bro, could be... Re the appointment - Using the Tesla app you can schedule the appointment directly. There is an accessories option... Once I filled it out I was pleasantly surprised that my install was scheduled as a service call at my house!
Thanks for the tip on that service appointment. Although on the order confirmation email for the homelink it said

Shipped To

Scottsdale-Hayden Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Automatic Garage Opener
None
SKU: 1508524-00-A
QTY: 1
Vehicle VIN:
Vehicle Reservation Code:
Install At Scottsdale-Hayden Road
You will be contacted by the service center to schedule your installation.

$300.00

So did they ship the part directly to you or did they ship it to your service center like they are doing with my order?

Thanks for the tip on that service appointment. Although on the order confirmation email for the homelink it said

Shipped To

Scottsdale-Hayden Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Automatic Garage Opener
None
SKU: 1508524-00-A
QTY: 1
Vehicle VIN:
Vehicle Reservation Code:
Install At Scottsdale-Hayden Road
You will be contacted by the service center to schedule your installation.

$300.00

So did they ship the part directly to you or did they ship it to your service center like they are doing with my order?

Like you, there was no option, when ordering, to have it shipped to my house, only the SC that delivered my car. Rather than waiting for them to contact me, I just scheduled the service as noted above. Give it a try. I believe my hardware is already at the dealer now, as I ordered it nearly three weeks ago and recall seeing a “shipped” to my SC confirmation shortly thereafter. So, it should happen as scheduled.

Like you, there was no option, when ordering, to have it shipped to my house, only the SC that delivered my car. Rather than waiting for them to contact me, I just scheduled the service as noted above. Give it a try. I believe my hardware is already at the dealer now, as I ordered it nearly three weeks ago and recall seeing a “shipped” to my SC confirmation shortly thereafter. So, it should happen as scheduled.

I've received a "order confirmed" email that said they would email me again when it shipped... it hasn't shipped yet. I ordered it one week ago. Once I get the "order Shipped" email I'm going to do what you did and schedule the service myself.

I've received a "order confirmed" email that said they would email me again when it shipped... it hasn't shipped yet. I ordered it one week ago. Once I get the "order Shipped" email I'm going to do what you did and schedule the service myself.

When I scheduled earlier today, it was already 8 days to the earliest appointment. Be proactive and just schedule it. They will let you know if they don’t have the part yet.

I found this on the Telsa.com forum....

Excellent installation of the automatic garage door opener by Jason from the Phoenix mobile tech team today! : teslamotors

And this....

"stebo1 | June 30, 2019
I have had the Homelink installed. It was the first install ever done by my install guy but he figured it out. It’s a combo of hardware and software. They will jack your car up, take both front wheels off to go to trim, remove the front bumper cover, and there is a little slot that the part screws into. The wiring is right there and just plugs in. They pushed new software to me prior to the install and then activated the Homelink after somehow. The guy had some trouble getting it to activate but opened a ticket and it worked within the next 24 hours. They were at my house for a couple of hours. I had two guys because one was in training. Interesting note about mobile service - they now work 3.5 days a week and then the van goes to someone else for the other 3.5 days so that the tools are being used 7 days a week. Prior to mobile service, my guy worked at the service center and usually was able to work on 3-5 cars a day; with mobile service he is able to work on 5-7. He picks up the van on the transition day with all parts and tools needed for the week’s jobs and keeps it until the end of his 3.5 day shift.

As for the finance part about Homelink being installed after the fact, I just don’t see how it’s a money maker. It’s maybe a break even proposition for Tesla. I can’t imagine there being much profit in sending this to the service center, getting it to a mobile ranger, having them spend 2 hours on the car, etc. I suppose the savings is with the thousands of cars that do not get the Homelink at the factory. If you don’t have a garage, you don’t need it so I can see the case for making it an add on; but you should be able to add it in the cart so it’s delivered with the car.

Regardless, it was a painless experience and I love my Homelink. Works great for auto Open but auto close doesn’t work at all. Definitely work $300 bucks to not have to fiddle with a clicker or mess up my visor over time."

To which I replied, this

"...remove the front bumper..." Oh my... seems like a recipe for scratches and rattles... Having second thoughts about this. Bumper covers are usually held by plastic inserts that often break or weaken if reused. Not sure I want some newbie man/woman-handling my bumper and such... :-(

Anyone else have an experience to report - hopefully one not as invasive? I was hoping it was just a reach under and plug it in, then load software and configure type of thing - rather than a body shop like visit in your driveway... Where do they place the pristine bumper while they do the work? On the ground? Geeezzzzz."

Hope that helps.... :(

• Informative
Reactions: heysteveh
Comments, other experiences?

Just went in to Tesla service center today on a set appointment for an unrelated matter. While there, I told them I had ordered Homelink. He said they probably got it in already and if not, they had some in stock so they are going to do it for me while it's in service now. Based on your info about having to remove the front bumper, I asked service about the procedure and they said that some of their guys that do it have figured out a way to get their hand up in there without having to remove the bumper. He said it depends on the tech, but the standard procedure is to remove the bumper. He said it was pretty simple to remove the bumper and that they had never had any issues with any of the plastic connectors being compromised. He said if they ever did they would just replace those little plastic connectors (I forget the name). After talking with him a bit I feel comfortable with the procedure either way. Maybe you can ask your service center in Seattle if they have anybody there that has figured out how to do it without removing the bumper?!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt and jebinc
Just went in to Tesla service center today on a set appointment for an unrelated matter. While there, I told them I had ordered Homelink. He said they probably got it in already and if not, they had some in stock so they are going to do it for me while it's in service now. Based on your info about having to remove the front bumper, I asked service about the procedure and they said that some of their guys that do it have figured out a way to get their hand up in there without having to remove the bumper. He said it depends on the tech, but the standard procedure is to remove the bumper. He said it was pretty simple to remove the bumper and that they had never had any issues with any of the plastic connectors being compromised. He said if they ever did they would just replace those little plastic connectors (I forget the name). After talking with him a bit I feel comfortable with the procedure either way. Maybe you can ask your service center in Seattle if they have anybody there that has figured out how to do it without removing the bumper?!

Thanks for the informative post! I will certainly ask that question!

Mine was installed with mobile service. I didn’t watch them do it so can’t speak to the details, but it was fairly quick and he was able to connect it to my garage door since the work was done at my house.

Update from OP
My Homelink installation is complete. In summary, I used the app to schedule my service on 7/1; the app scheduled a mobile appointment - which I was pleased to see. Two days ago (7/3), I get a call from the SC asking me to drive to the SC for the installation (48 minute drive each way) as the mobile service is not available. I was told the install would take 1.5-2 hours and that my appointment was as precisely 1:45pm. I let service know I would wait for the car in that case. Yesterday (7/5), I arrive at the SC at 1:30pm and am told the shop is busy and that I should expect the car to be completed by closing - 6pm. After a lot of back and forth, I was offered a Gen 1 Model S 85 (No "P" or "D") and that my car should be ready on Monday (7/8) by 11am as they didn't want to rush the job to complete by 6pm on 7/5. I wholeheartedly agreed and left with the S 85. Speaking of that, it was a black on black with 48,000 miles on the odo. I put 100 miles on this car and was very happy with my decision to go with the M3 as it felt much sportier and modern than this dated S 85. The S was quieter, but lacked AWD and really pushed into corners and such - it also felt much slower (acceleration wise) than my LR AWD M3. Overall, it was nice to drive the S, just to compare to the M3, and nice that they gave me a loaner.
Now, right around 6pm (on 7/5), I receive a text message from the SC that my car is ready, and can be picked up on Saturday morning (7/6). I say to myself, "...hmmmmm, they rushed to get it done before 6pm closing... wonder what BS I will find when I get the car back due to the apparent "rush job"..."

So, this morning at 9am sharp, I pick up my car. As expected, it wasn't vacuumed as I had asked and there were fingerprints all over the "man/woman-handled" bumper. Also found this damage (see attached picture - chips from tools used) when I got home after cleaning all the greasy finger prints off of it (Note: This SC no longer washes cars, just vacuums interior). I send a nice text to the service person that I was texting with, alerting them of the overall situation about an hour ago - "crickets".... What a Cluster Telsa created with this Homelink "Retrofit" process, and hassle it has created for new owners. And yes, "Retrofit" is the actual term Tesla Service calls it...

F-, Tesla
05JUL Tesla SC damage when installing Homelink.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
I placed the order for my M3 SR+ on May 9th. Purchased the Garage Door add-on May 16th. Took delivery on June 7th. I have emailed my local SC and Tesla OnlineOrders, and no follow up. It is now July 6th, and still have not heard anything from Tesla on the delivery/ETA. Love how they take my money before actually committing to something. (I don't want to say it, but hopefully I will not regret this purchase/investment, and I am not talking about the Garage Door Opener...........)

I placed the order for my M3 SR+ on May 9th. Purchased the Garage Door add-on May 16th. Took delivery on June 7th. I have emailed my local SC and Tesla OnlineOrders, and no follow up. It is now July 6th, and still have not heard anything from Tesla on the delivery/ETA. Love how they take my money before actually committing to something. (I don't want to say it, but hopefully I will not regret this purchase/investment, and I am not talking about the Garage Door Opener...........)

I didn’t wait for Tesla to tell me the Homelink arrived at the SC. I just scheduled an appointment a week after ordering the Homelink. Never got a “Shopped” notice from the Tesla store, but the Homelink was installed and it works as advertised. Be ware of technician monkeys ripping apart your car to install it, however.

Good thread, stumbled upon it.
Took delivery of car on 6/6, ordered homelink + other item on 6/14. Got notice that other item shipped on 6/15, and received it a few days later. Crickets on the homelink item. I went ahead and scheduled the install at the SC on 7/12. Will update with results.

follow up on my previous reply. spoke to tesla mobile technician and he told me that if you have already ordered the garage door opener, it is best to create an appointment with the mobile service team, then tesla will do their due diligence and find the part (or get the part) and then do the install... the rep mentioned it takes about 2 weeks for the SC to get the part and hand it over to the mobile division. now this is specific to Toronto, so not sure how other cities or countries handle this matter.